No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet, thank you fellas. Will report back if there is anything to be found, or not.

Comment

skip the rangefinder, as you said, 99% of shots will be 20 yards or less
      skip the scent lure
      add insect repellent
      add binoculars
      add small flashlight

Comment

So I trekked out to the Pecan Grove area with two buddies today. We arrived at sunrise and started down the river. After about 3/4 mile we decided to split up. I came back towards the dam, and followed the telephone lines south. From there I headed west, along what I assume is the spillway, and it was very swampy. Seemed like the perfect place to find hogs. I worked my way all the way back to the dam then headed along the dam back to the truck. The other two worked along the northern and eastern edges.

In the end, we saw some deer, raccoon, ducks, cranes, squirrels, carp, and a lot of wet knee high grass under the pecan trees. Not a single hog. I thought I heard a squeal at one point, but I was close to the crane's nesting area and I think it may have been them. I really don't know.

My impressions from my first venture out is:
        1. It is really tough to sneak up on something when under the grass is a bunch of snapping pecan tree limbs that you cannot see.
        2. The mosquitoes are outrageous! I weigh 240 and they picked me up and carried several yards on about half a dozen occasions. The good thing is I wasn't snapping any tree limbs when it happened, but I had to sit down and eat a granola bar to allow my blood to rejuvenate from what they drained out of me.
        3. If I could ever figure out how to get the deer to think I am hog hunting when I am deer hunting I could fill my tags on opening day.
        4. If I ever go stalking again I will have on snake boots. Snake boots suck, so I won't go stalking again.
        5. There are plenty of hogs in the area, or at least there were a week ago. The sign is everywhere, but not fresh. I guess hogs are roamers after all. Hmm...I guess what I keep hearing from all these experts is true.
        6. Hogs love telephone poles.
        7. My GPS coordinates are off by about 1/4 mile, or else Google Earth's coordinates are. Not sure which.
        8. There are some really pretty spots in the area. They look especially good from the treetops when the mosquitoes are flying you around showing off their trophy. Do they have to pay the $48 APH permit fee too?
        9. There are a lot of really bad people who have gone out there and left there empty corn bags, beer cans, and various other trash laying around. COME ON MAN!
        10. Last but not least, there is a buzzard that likes to live in the old steel tank looking thing just past the power lines by the river, and when I don't know he is there, and he jumps out at me when I am walking by it, it really scares the CRAP out of me!

Comment

^^^^^ sounds about right. Wait till the guys that like to shoot everything that moves show up and ruin it would be number 11.

Comment

Originally posted by palirwin View Post
            My impressions from my first venture out is:
            1. It is really tough to sneak up on something when under the grass is a bunch of snapping pecan tree limbs that you cannot see. (Stalking is different than walking around, slow way down and the sticks won't be so much a factor. Still a hard way to make a living)
            2. The mosquitoes are outrageous! I weigh 240 and they picked me up and carried several yards on about half a dozen occasions. The good thing is I wasn't snapping any tree limbs when it happened, but I had to sit down and eat a granola bar to allow my blood to rejuvenate from what they drained out of me. (Don't shoot the ones with legs bands they are protected)
            3. If I could ever figure out how to get the deer to think I am hog hunting when I am deer hunting I could fill my tags on opening day.
            4. If I ever go stalking again I will have on snake boots. Snake boots suck, so I won't go stalking again. ( Snake boots not really needed. Confortable shoes are)
            5. There are plenty of hogs in the area, or at least there were a week ago. The sign is everywhere, but not fresh. I guess hogs are roamers after all. Hmm...I guess what I keep hearing from all these experts is true. (Take a vote, and post some folks, have the others drive game past you)
            6. Hogs love telephone poles. (they rub them to get the tick off)
            7. My GPS coordinates are off by about 1/4 mile, or else Google Earth's coordinates are. Not sure which. (GPS we don't need no GPS)
            8. There are some really pretty spots in the area. They look especially good from the treetops when the mosquitoes are flying you around showing off their trophy. Do they have to pay the $48 APH permit fee too? ( Wildlife is exempt from TX licensing requirements)
            9. There are a lot of really bad people who have gone out there and left there empty corn bags, beer cans, and various other trash laying around. COME ON MAN! (Take a garbage bag and clean it up. Empty bags and cans are too heavy for alot of folks to carry)
            10. Last but not least, there is a buzzard that likes to live in the old steel tank looking thing just past the power lines by the river, and when I don't know he is there, and he jumps out at me when I am walking by it, it really scares the CRAP out of me!(Toilet paper is nice to have)
            Guess you figured out why a range finder is just added weight; bow and arrows, binos, water and lunch, scent illiminator spray, decent camo, face mask and gloves, and patience are all you need. Along with TP and a First Aid kit.
            Last edited by Wudstix; 03-03-2012, 10:59 AM.

Comment

I love my snake boots. Granger is a snake haven! Also protects your shins from the vines, and thorns. I see it like a hunting mans chaps.

Comment

If boots give your problems than go with Snake Chaps. Good hiking/hunting boots and some snake chaps would work well.

Comment

Chaps are the way to go for sure. I had my good hunting/hiking boots on as I knew I would log some steps. My snake boots are simply uncomfortable. Chaps would allow the more comfortable shoes.

I will be back...don't know when, but I will be back! Maybe for one of the group hunts from this board if I know about it enough in advance and can make it.

Thanks for all the advice!

Comment

palirwin; Sent you a PM. There is alot of Granger and I have only spent a little time below the dam. I hear Sore Finger is good, but you have to hike a bunch just to get in there. Need to get a decent boat to be able to hit a few more spots.
                    Last edited by Wudstix; 03-04-2012, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Stalking works better too after a rain or heavy dew. Windy days are good too, the sound of the wind covers the sound of you rustling through dry grass.

Comment

It was a heavy dew, and the grass is the most beautiful green color you will ever see out there right now. The problem is it is 2 feet tall and you can not see what is under it. No matter how careful you are, unless you are barefoot, you are going to snap twigs. Other than that, it was a little breezy, and the heavy dew was soaking through my "waterproof" boots. It was beautiful out, and I just need to get after it again. I will try a different area next time. I do have access to friends with boats, I just don't know where to go with them.

Anybody want to be our guide for a ride?

Comment

i went out on sunday afternoon, made the long walk to the primitave area saw a bunch of deer no hogs.

Comment

Any luck with that tree in the drainage?

Comment

Originally posted by Wudstix View Post
                              Any luck with that tree in the drainage?
                              Not sure if you are directing that question to me, but I don't know what tree you are talking about.

Comment

your gps problem might be a datum shift. Google earth uses the wgs84 datum. If your GPS is set to a different datum, like say nad83, you will be off by about 200 yards. Normally there is a selection menu on your gps that will allow you to choose datums.

Comment

Working...
                                X