Rats Chewed Wires On Lease Rides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rats Chewed Wires On Lease Rides

Rats got our lease rides bad at the ranch down in South Texas. I have a Nissan Xterra and buddy has a Polaris Ranger. Ranger was only there during season, but I left Nissan all off season. They ate the wiring harness on Ranger and some other wires. They ate wiring harness and 3 or 4 spark plug wires on the Nissan. Ranger was parked under pole barn, Nissan out in the open field. Not a cheap fix on either for sure. Anyone had an experience with this? I have read it's pretty common, but never had it happen to me. What's the best way to prevent this from happening again? Sprays, pesticides ect?? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rubber snakes Rat poison. Leave the hood open. But rats will eat any and everything. Get you some giant cats to stay at the camp.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
      Rubber snakes Rat poison. Leave the hood open. But rats will eat any and everything. Get you some giant cats to stay at the camp.
      Thanks for the reply Brokeno. Thought about cats, but the ranch has dogs and afraid the cats won't last to long. I would end up scaring myself to death with the rubber snakes! And heard leaving the hood open helps? Didn't want to leave the hood open with the Nissan out in the weather. Both rides have high racks and the Nissan won't fit in the pole barn.

Comment

I've fixed numerous customers vehicles with rat/mice issues on lease vehicles. Pepper spraying the wiring harness works. I've heard mothballs and mothball crystals work too. Thought that smell tends to linger and not cool when out in the field but if you park a good distance away, you're probably ok. These guys use them for dropping off/picking up and game retrieval. They don't leave them out while hunting.

Comment

Thanks Onski...ya, both of these rides have high racks so we hunt out of them in the field. May try that pepper spray, but would be concerned about the mothball smell while hunting out of them.

Comment

My brothers 2 year old Tacoma trucks main wiring harness going to the dash was chewed this year by rats. The estimate from the dealership was between 4 and 5 thousand dollars to replace. I think his full coverage insurance cover the bulk of this expense.

Comment

We have had the same problem.

Leaving the hood up has been the best precaution. Have thrown moth balls in there for good measure.

They crawled on top of my buddy's gas tank under the bed and ate wiring there.

Rats evidently like to be covered.

Comment

Tom Cat Liquid poinson and some chicken waterers... it will knock them out.

Comment

Dang things can do some damage for sure. Sounds like moth balls may work a bit but still worried about the smell out in the field.

Comment

Fox pi&& spray on motor and on hood
                    Found it better if you get the Velcro and stick them randomly on the motor and air filter etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
                      Not sure I know what either of those are?

Comment

Originally posted by Payne346 View Post
                        Not sure I know what either of those are?
                        The poison you’ll have to order online, I’ve never been able to find it in store. The waterers you can pick up at Tractor Supply or any feed store. Set a couple out around your camp and your mice and rat problem will be gone.

[

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is the best idea Ive seen yet.. Will be giving this a try..

Comment

I put moth balls all around mine and have never had any problems. I also throw them under my camper and not a single mouse or rat yet. Almost 5 years of doing this.

Comment

The poison you’ll have to order online, I’ve never been able to find it in store. The waterers you can pick up at Tractor Supply or any feed store. Set a couple out around your camp and your mice and rat problem will be gone.

[

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Thank you, will give this a try too!

Comment

Working...
                              X