Gold Panning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gold Panning

Has anyone here done any semi serious gold panning/mining in Colorado or New Mexico?

I am curious about, maybe a vacation trip.

There are a few members on here that prospect, 2 that I know area serious.

I was going to plan a quick trip to Colorado in late aug/early sept to do some prospecting but Brad is trying to drag me to New Mexico instead.

I have a pile of dirt in my shop from New Mexico that is producing 1.5 grams per 5 gallon bucket which is beyond belief.
    Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 08-03-2018, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Gold Panning

Can you tell me about how to go about finding a spot?
      I was thinking either Northern NM or Southern Colorado.

Comment

Originally posted by Neuse View Post
        Can you tell me about how to go about finding a spot?
        I was thinking either Northern NM or Southern Colorado.
        You will have to find a area that allows public prospecting in either state, putting in some work online will go a long ways, getting prospectors to give up any info is like pulling teeth, with gold almost 1300 a oz . The Denver area has public prospecting areas but also has strict guidelines of what and how you can do it..

Where do ya live?

There are various chapters of the GPAA here in Texas that would be a good place to learn and meet people.

Comment

I live in Carrollton.

I will check out the GPAA.
          I did start finding some info on the internet, I will continue to research.
          Thank you for responding.

Comment

If you want, one weekend that I have a spare day, we can jump in the jeep , hook up the boat and go up the Brazos and dig you up some gold and run the sluice a bit. WARNING HARD WORK

Comment

Count me in on the Brazos sluicing! I have a small sluice box we could use as well. There's a gpaa group around here that does an annual trip to a local river on someone's property and we can sluice all weekend. Good times. I found a bunch a gold. It was fools gold, but it was a bunch of it

Comment

Originally posted by Efren View Post
                Count me in on the Brazos sluicing! I have a small sluice box we could use as well. There's a gpaa group around here that does an annual trip to a local river on someone's property and we can sluice all weekend. Good times. I found a bunch a gold. It was fools gold, but it was a bunch of it
                Bro, you set that sluice up and you wont have iron pyrite clogging up things

The GPAA guys at Grandbury have a cool little place to go south of town on the Brazos but its a long drive, the GPAA group out of DFW go out north of Palo pinto to the brazos and pay like 5 bucks to part and camp and have a good time once a year. The boys down south always end up at Hobby Haliburtons place for a weekend get away.

Comment

Here is a little shiney stuff, all of it cam out of 3 five gallon buckets of dirt from Arizona.

One is clean and dry, next is gold that is covered in mercury, then some dirty stuff that I panned out this morning.
                  Attached Files

Comment

When my brothers and myself were younger my ole man would lease a couple of claims. You could get a pretty decent claim for reasonable back then since the price was much lower at the time. Basically a matter of finding and area you like and working a deal with the claim holder. It's been a long while.
                    One of my brothers still goes out several times a month on a claim. He usually just works some material into about 20 five gallon buckets then he will process next to the water hose at the house.

Comment

I have my Great Grandad's pan. The story is that they panned everywhere they lived in their journey from Indiana to Kansas. 1873 - 1900. No gold in the stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
                        If you want, one weekend that I have a spare day, we can jump in the jeep , hook up the boat and go up the Brazos and dig you up some gold and run the sluice a bit. WARNING HARD WORK
                        Dang.... I want to go.

Comment

I have all the tools you will ever need for gold mining both hard rock and placer

Comment

I have a small floating dredge in the garage it hasn't been started in a dozen years.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                              I have a small floating dredge in the garage it hasn't been started in a dozen years.
                              That is just wrong in so many ways, FEED THAT THING!!

Comment

Working...
                              X