Figured out the coons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Figured out the coons

I have been racking my brain on how to get these dang coons off of my feeders. I have tried everything grease, shark teeth, you name it I've tried it. Well I finally figured it out. I put 3 strands of hot wire around my pen. my pen is 24" goat wire with a strand of horse wire above that about 6". I bought 2" insulators to put on the t post. I ran 3 insulators on each tpost. The first one is about 5" off the ground and then about 5" in between insulators. I bought a 10 mile solar unit. Let me tell you when they touch it it will light them up. At the opposite corner of the pen opposite of the controller it is putting out 7000 volts according to the meter I bought. The wire is close enough to the pen that the deer don't touch it. I actually have more deer in the pen now than I did without the hot wire. I had 15+ coons on my protein feeder every night running my deer off. Not anymore coons not anymore!

sounds like you may end up with some dead coons lol

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan2014 View Post
      sounds like you may end up with some dead coons lol
      LOL....I told the guy at Tractor Supply that I wanted their hair to catch fire if they touched it. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Chasing_bone View Post
        LOL....I told the guy at Tractor Supply that I wanted their hair to catch fire if they touched it. LOL
        That’s good stuff, I’d love to see some live camera footage of that

Comment

Originally posted by Kmiles84 View Post
          That’s good stuff, I’d love to see some live camera footage of that

We tried. We switched the cameras to video, but we did not run it long enough. We would see them walking up to it then the next video they are running for the hills. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lol! Nothing like a blazing coon running through the forest! [emoji23]

Skinny

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
              Lol! Nothing like a blazing coon running through the forest! [emoji23]

Skinny
              We'll know who to blame when a couple thousand acres burns up.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                We'll know who to blame when a couple thousand acres burns up.

LOL...they are not actually catching fire, but they **** sure don’t want anymore of it after they touch it.

Comment

LOL...they are not actually catching fire, but they **** sure don’t want anymore of it after they touch it.

STOP!!!! I like to imagine them catching fire.

Comment

We've been wearing them out with coon cuffs for three years. They never stop coming. Three more this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                      STOP!!!! I like to imagine them catching fire.

LOL....me too.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                        We've been wearing them out with coon cuffs for three years. They never stop coming. Three more this weekend.

We were using those as well. We would catch 3 and have 6 extra the same night.

Comment

Do you have a game camera near this feeder? Does it have Video Mode? If So.....

(yeah i realized this was already asked..i got trigger happy)
                          Last edited by LlanoHunter10; 05-20-2018, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LlanoHunter10 View Post
                            Do you have a game camera near this feeder? Does it have Video Mode? If So.....

Yes we do. LOL....we tried it 2 nights but never got a Coon touching it. We didn’t set the camera to run the video long enough. I would have loved to seen it happen though. Next time I’m out I’ll definitely set the video longer though.

Comment

Yes we do. LOL....we tried it 2 nights but never got a Coon touching it. We didn’t set the camera to run the video long enough. I would have loved to seen it happen though. Next time I’m out I’ll definitely set the video longer though.

What kind of feeder do you have?

Comment

Working...
                              X