oak longbows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oak longbows?

I found a "U finish it" longbow kit. It is made of oak. Anyone know how well oak would work for a longbow. I have never heard of an oak longbow.
    Here is the link.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0309&rd=1&rd=1
    Thanks
    Ronnie

I have made a few self bows from red and white oak. My experience has been that they end up taking a set pretty badly. I am NO kind of expert, so maybe I am the problem.

It could be that if you back it with something you could avoid the set, but then it's not a "ready to finish" bow any more.

Comment

What does "taking a set" mean? I have just got the long bow bug after years of compound bows.

Comment

It means the bow follows the string,in other words when you unstring the bow it will not be straight,but will still have some memory(bend)like when it was strung.

Comment

Check out the U-Finish bows at Rudderbows. They have some in hickory and osage with bamboo backing, probably better than the oak for a 40#+ bow, IMO.

I use Red Oak for the kid's bows that I build but haven't had much success with bows over 15#s or so.

Comment

Buddy of mine has an oak selfbow at 55#. It did take a set after initial shooting, but then settled in and shoots well. It's a heavy limbed bow though and really lets you know when you've loosed the string!

I have a hickory bow and it's much nicer in performance and manners than his oak one. I'd recommend the hickory!

Comment

Custom made longbows and arrows, traditional archery equipment, primitive supplies, self-bows and self-bow classes for hunting or hobby,

have a look at these
              Last edited by Restless; 01-07-2007, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Thanks

thanks everyone. I have decided to go in a different direction. I found the rudder bow site and like some of thier bows. I'm currently goin back n forth on a recurve to longbow. I have shot both..... like them both..... if the wife would allow it id just buy both ! but that aint gonna happen so Im just waitin to find something that just feels right. It will all fall into place some how.
                Thanks for the input
                Ronnie

Comment

Working...
                X