Help me tune my new bow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me tune my new bow.

I don't know the first thing about tuning or setting up a recurve. All I've got now is a bare string with two string silencers on it. Where do I start? what all do I need?

I am yalls grasshopper. Thank you in advance.

Jake

Jake other than shooting with somebody that is knowledgeable with the tuning process I will suggest that you study the two links that I have attached. The first link will help you pick out arrows in the right ball park. The second is the method of tuning that I use. Good luck and have fun!!!

This calculator was developed to aid the traditional archer in defining the appropriate arrow setup to match a given bow design.  That formulas are derived primarily from modern deflex/reflex longbow and recurve designs based on actual shooting experience coupled with basic engineering principles. 

Comment

Thank you, Ben. I was sitting here thinking about where to start...

Comment

If you get stuck using the Stu Miller calculator, come back with your questions. It can be a little confusing if you are not familiar with the terms.

Comment

If all you got now is a bare string with 2 silencers on it, you need to find a bow the right length for the string and go from there. J/K, Ben gave some great advise, also have you read the stickies at the top of the forum page? I have no idea where in Texas you live but there is generally a trad shooter somewhere close!

Comment

Bens spot on on where to start other then I don't know jack about all that calculator stuff... Post up where you live and see of someone here is willing to help. You can read and read which is good but you'll learn faster getting with other shooters.

First thing to be learned is trad shooters love giving advice and love introducing new peeps to this sport. I'm here on the west side of houston if you swing down this way pm me and well go liter the sky with arrows... John

Comment

Only thing I can add is to pm Stikshooter on here and maybe you can shoot with him.......he lives real close to you (Floresville). Heck, I would like to go and probably learn something! Wouldn't be a bad idea to have a San Antonio area trad GTG for new guys to meet some of the more experienced shooters and speed up the learning process.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech Lefty View Post
                Only thing I can add is to pm Stikshooter on here and maybe you can shoot with him.......he lives real close to you (Floresville). Heck, I would like to go and probably learn something! Wouldn't be a bad idea to have a San Antonio area trad GTG for new guys to meet some of the more experienced shooters and speed up the learning process.
                ^^^^^^ This!! It is worth a little drive to get some hands on help!

Comment

Don't want to hijack the thread but has anyone figured out how to get Stu Millers calculator onto an iPad?

Comment

Originally posted by El Coop View Post
                    Don't want to hijack the thread but has anyone figured out how to get Stu Millers calculator onto an iPad?
                    I don't know if this will help you but Stu's Calculator uses the Excel program.

Comment

Thanks. I have Excel on my iPad but can't get the calculator to transfer from my computer. If I don't hear something here I may start my own thread so as not to hijack this one. I've never started a thread but bet I could get some help.

Comment

Working...
                      X