Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buckley99 View Post
    Ok...honest question...

Assume you are the member in this scenario and you not only decided to let your guest sit alone but you forgot to tell him not to shoot the elk.

You hear a shot go off and he texts you the pic of his trophy. What do you do now? What do you feel are your obligations at this point?

***for the sake of the discussion, please don’t say that you would have sat with him and/or told him not to shoot an elk.

remove all my stuff and probanly leave a lot of it and kick myself off the lease

Comment

Texas - Fence out / Fence in

Comment

Originally posted by F0WL_LIF3 View Post
        Just assumption if this is low fence.... He doesn't have a bunch of info to go off of so it's assumptions.

I'm not one bit agreeing with what the guy did was right. He needs to be gone. No matter what.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
        Guess I skipped right over "low fence" part.

Comment

Ok...honest question...

Assume you are the member in this scenario and you not only decided to let your guest sit alone but you forgot to tell him not to shoot the elk.

You hear a shot go off and he texts you the pic of his trophy. What do you do now? What do you feel are your obligations at this point?

***for the sake of the discussion, please don’t say that you would have sat with him and/or told him not to shoot an elk.
          I would own up to it and pack my sheet and leave. That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post
            Guess I skipped right over "low fence" part.
            He didn't state if it was high or low. EVERYONE knows what happens if it was high fence. Shouldn't even come to the GS for this type of question if it's inside a high fence.

That's where I chose to assume that this is a low fence...

Comment

Originally posted by BonesandArrow View Post
              I don’t see how a land owner of a low fence can say a non game / non native animal is off limits. If a Caribou, mountain lion came cruising through and was shot what happens? To me, it is a low fence so almost anything goes as far as species. I did not stay at a Holiday Inn and have never leased land.. I just don’t see how you could say dont shoot an exotic animal on a low fence. I’m probably wrong but don’t get it.
              He can say whatever he wants because it’s his land. As a hunter, if that’s a dealbreaker, don’t sign the lease and look elsewhere.

At my buddy’s place, they have shot 4 elk, a kudu, and 2 mountain lions this year (40k acres, low fence). That said, the aoudad and mouflon are off-limits. The population has been depleted over the years and they have decided to let them walk for the next few years. And surprisingly enough, not one person has complained about it.

Comment

Originally posted by BonesandArrow View Post
                I don’t see how a land owner of a low fence can say a non game / non native animal is off limits. If a Caribou, mountain lion came cruising through and was shot what happens? To me, it is a low fence so almost anything goes as far as species. I did not stay at a Holiday Inn and have never leased land.. I just don’t see how you could say dont shoot an exotic animal on a low fence. I’m probably wrong but don’t get it.
                You don't see how?

The landowner can make any rule he wants.

I agree with your last statement that you're "probably wrong"
                Last edited by AntlerCollector; 12-17-2017, 09:06 PM.

Comment

He can say whatever he wants because it’s his land. As a hunter, if that’s a dealbreaker, don’t sign the lease and look elsewhere.

At my buddy’s place, they have shot 4 elk, a kudu, and 2 mountain lions this year (40k acres, low fence). That said, the aoudad and mouflon are off-limits. The population has been depleted over the years and they have decided to let them walk for the next few years. And surprisingly enough, not one person has complained about it.
                  I agree.

Our place is it's 2 bucks only any combination. Doesn't bother me.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    As a current lease boss, the member would be asked to leave if my landowner had personally put that animal off limits and it was communicated to him.
                    This is the reason I am a *** when it comes to helping guys get a lease, I dont do it to make money, But I had a instance where a lease member killed a do NOT kill buck.. There are too many guys that really will help you manage land and do as asked, for just a few that will shoot their self in the foot, Just to kill a deer... And screw a good thing up for so many more..!!!
                    No excuses, we told him DO NOT kill this buck.. he was done and asked not to come back. and he also screwed us for approx $200 in electric bills..!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                      You don't see how?

The landowner can make any rule he wants.
                      X2

You could have thousands of pigs but if the LO for some weird reason says no pigs can be shot. Then that's the end of discussion.

Comment

He didn't state if it was high or low. EVERYONE knows what happens if it was high fence. Shouldn't even come to the GS for this type of question if it's inside a high fence.

That's where I chose to assume that this is a low fence...

Assuming anything before facts is a problem here lately. I wouldn't assume that. I know a lot of high fence places that bring elk and other non game animals in.

Comment

So you then in violation of game meat for something you did not kill. That's a ticket...

Just saying you can't do anything about the situation except for kicking him off

Elk is exotic, not game in Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post
                            Assuming anything before facts is a problem here lately. I wouldn't assume that. I know a lot of high fence places that bring elk and other non game animals in.
                            Okay. OP can you please tell us high or low fence please.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              Elk is exotic, not game in Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              Learned that earlier. Thanks

Comment

I hear ya. But I don’t see how a land owner could list every species that is off limits. Your post is a good example. Those animals are no where near native and could go anywhere low fenced. I’m not saying this to argue with anyone, I just don’t see how a LO could have a legal document that covers a non native species in a low fence. I’ll bow down and read on to learn.

Comment

Working...
                                X