Lbj, Caddo, Pat mayse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lbj, Caddo, Pat mayse

Looking into bowhunting hunting one of these places this upcoming season - can anyone tell me if they are Climbing/climber stand accessible? Yes or no for each spot would be very helpful!

Used to hunt Caddo Ntl Grasslands years ago. There's literally tons of trees there good for climbers, that's what I used when hunting there.

Comment

Pat Mayse is the best bet good deer herd and places to climb

Comment

Originally posted by HR3 View Post
        Pat Mayse is the best bet good deer herd and places to climb

Seems like a lot of guys don't talk about Pat Mayse??? I'm very interested in it. Does it require some type of different permit other the AHP or is it difficult to hunt or something? Seems like everyone piles up LBJ and Caddo

Comment

Originally posted by Jessebeaux View Post
          Seems like a lot of guys don't talk about Pat Mayse??? I'm very interested in it. Does it require some type of different permit other the AHP or is it difficult to hunt or something? Seems like everyone piles up LBJ and Caddo
          Just the APH. Cooper WMA is pretty good too. Lots of Hog sign, saw a few deer in the area i was in this past season. We just went out to Caddo this past weekend looking for turkey sign, and it is a really nice area (the north side). lots of good deer and hog sign.

Comment

There no deer at Cooper.....LOL

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Comment

Might have been the chupacabra I saw. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Did you find any signs of turkeys at Caddo?

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Comment

Not in the area we were in. We weren't out there very long though. Plan on doing a lot of walking on Friday when we get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

this past weekend as in the 8th and 9th? what campsite, coffee mill?

Comment

Cooper used to be good about 12 years ago,,, now... It's overran by hunters, specially all the kids from Commerce A & M College and most of them feel they're entitled to the whole area. Pat Mays is also very crowded but not as bad as Cooper WMA, just very tough and long walks since all the "easy" spots are already being hunted by other hunters. Best places IMO are Caddo and LBJ since they're so big.
                      Just my 0.02 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
                        Cooper used to be good about 12 years ago,,, now... It's overran by hunters, specially all the kids from Commerce A & M College and most of them feel they're entitled to the whole area. Pat Mays is also very crowded but not as bad as Cooper WMA, just very tough and long walks since all the "easy" spots are already being hunted by other hunters. Best places IMO are Caddo and LBJ since they're so big.
                        Just my 0.02 cents.
                        Caddo and LBJ climbing stand accessible?

Comment

College guys

Originally posted by ATI View Post
                          Just my 0.02 cents.
                          Shoot them college guys been good as gold....dragged 2 deer out one year for me....lol.....not that I could handle it mind you....lol......they stopped hunting where ever they saw my truck....lol

Comment

I'd stay away from Caddo during archery season. I made the mistake of going there (persuaded by my brothers) for archery opener last season and was surrounded by squirrel hunters. The opener for squirrel season is the same for archery so yeah, not fun. I was surrounded by turkeys though, which was awesome. Also saw some hogs but were too far from my stand.

LBJ is where I hunt most. There are a lot of trees to climb and lots of hogs/deer. I suggest you look online, put on your boots and do some scouting. Might as well bring your shotgun to shoot some squirrels there (since it's year round) may run into some hogs, which has happened more than once for me.

Comment

Best bet is to put your boots on the ground now and go scout all of these places. All I hunt with is a climber. And to all of the guys saying that places are too crowded, you're just not going in far enough. You have to be willing to out work everyone else hunting those places. Hunt smart. When I hunt public land, I look for ways to get away from people. The deer at these places are watching us and know that we are there. Think outside the box when hunting public land. But most importantly, put your boots on the ground and get to scouting.

Comment

Working...
                              X