Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-12-2018, 03:46 PM   #1
txhellraiser
Four Point

Default Catahoula needs home

Long story short, we took this dog in from another forum member that moved to CA about 2 weeks ago. We thought we'd see how he did here with us but he needs more room to run than we have. His name is Hemi. He has been nuetered and is up to date on all his shots/vet visits. Have all his paperwork. He is house broken and doesnt chew up furniture. He does chew up blinds if left alone in the house( figured this out first day we had him). He does have a kennel but hates being home alone. We have almost an acre and will jump the fence to run around the neighborhood. This is our biggest concern as we live close to a busy road. Previous owner said he's fine around guns, i havent verified it. He knows basic commands(sit, layn ect..) and is great around our kids(7&9). He'd probably be best out in the country with room to roam. He seems to do good around other dogs once they are introduced properly. He's a smart dog but given where we live, we'd rather not see him splattered on the road. Im in Magnolia.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
txhellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 03:49 PM   #2
Coup de Grace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trophy Hunting.

Best of luck to him.
Coup de Grace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 04:12 PM   #3
txhellraiser
Four Point

Forgot to add, he's 2 1/2 years old.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:04 PM   #4
JVasquez
Ten Point

Lol sounds like my old Catahoula. Best dog I ever had but man was he hard headed.
JVasquez is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 07:09 PM   #5
txhellraiser
Four Point

Haha. He listens very well but just likes to roam. I would understand if he still had nuts. We're just afraid he's going to get run over if he jumps and when we're not looking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVasquez View Post
Lol sounds like my old Catahoula. Best dog I ever had but man was he hard headed.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:18 PM   #6
hoyt21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ben Bolt, Tx

I adopted the best catahoula I’ve ever had off tbh
hoyt21 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 07:26 PM   #7
txhellraiser
Four Point

There's no doubt in my mind he'd be prefectly fine with more space to run. Wouldnt mind him roaming if we werent so close to a main road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyt21 View Post
I adopted the best catahoula Ive ever had off tbh
Old 06-13-2018, 09:04 AM   #8
txhellraiser
Four Point

TTT for this guy. Would like to see him go to a good country home.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:46 AM   #9
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NYS, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

Bump for great dog.
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 11:10 AM   #10
txhellraiser
Four Point

One last bump to the top.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:41 PM   #11
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Canada

That's a pretty dog. We are all full here, but could you get a Petsafe system to keep him from jumping out?
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 03:43 PM   #12
txhellraiser
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdog View Post
That's a pretty dog. We are all full here, but could you get a Petsafe system to keep him from jumping out?
Its on order and will be here next week. Still feel like he'll manage to get out some how. He's runs around the **** yard looking at his options. Honestly think he's bored here. Haha.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:46 PM   #13
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhellraiser View Post
Its on order and will be here next week. Still feel like he'll manage to get out some how. He's runs around the **** yard looking at his options. Honestly think he's bored here. Haha.

That's cool. Sounds like he needs a female friend! (like another working dog.) More than one dog is a PIA. We have 3 right now and honestly they are happiest having each other around to play with. Best of luck to you and him, he sounds like a good dog.
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #14
txhellraiser
Four Point

I'd pull my hair out having to chase 2 down and keep up with 2 kids also. He really is a good dog but we live real close to FM 1488 and its like an interstate hwy. He's headed that way 2 of the times he jumped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdog View Post
That's cool. Sounds like he needs a female friend! (like another working dog.) More than one dog is a PIA. We have 3 right now and honestly they are happiest having each other around to play with. Best of luck to you and him, he sounds like a good dog.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:59 PM   #15
cowman
Four Point

not sure if Im asking this correctly but when you say "roam" i obviously understand what that means but will/does he come back. You stated that if you didn't live so close to a busy road you would let him "roam". We are in the country but not there typically overnight but have a barn and fencing, etc. Whats the chances of him staying around? we run cattle and are there typically everyday but there are days and nights we don't make it by. Hope Im asking my question in a clear manner.
cowman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 04:04 PM   #16
txhellraiser
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowman View Post
not sure if Im asking this correctly but when you say "roam" i obviously understand what that means but will/does he come back. You stated that if you didn't live so close to a busy road you would let him "roam". We are in the country but not there typically overnight but have a barn and fencing, etc. Whats the chances of him staying around? we run cattle and are there typically everyday but there are days and nights we don't make it by. Hope Im asking my question in a clear manner.
We live in a subdivision and honestly havent let him go long enough to see if he'd come back. I've just been jumping in the truck and get up next to him and open the door. He jumps right in. It's not like he hauls ***** and never looks back. Haha. He just puts his nose down and goes for a cruise. Im towards the front of the subdivison and probably less than a 1/4 miles from the main road.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:09 PM   #17
txhellraiser
Four Point

Quote:
To answer your question, if he knows where food/water is and has plenty of space to run free, i bet he'd be fine. If i lived out on an old country road, i wouldnt worry about him. He listens well enough and responds. Only thing i can forsee is he's been an inside sleeper all his life.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:19 PM   #18
cowman
Four Point

Quote:
To answer your question, if he knows where food/water is and has plenty of space to run free, i bet he'd be fine. If i lived out on an old country road, i wouldnt worry about him. He listens well enough and responds. Only thing i can forsee is he's been an inside sleeper all his life.

Gotcha. He doesn't look like he has much working blood in him. lol

We've got plenty of water always available and food wouldn't be an issue. Im just worried he would run off the first night and not come back. in and around the Athens area so good amount of woods.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:27 PM   #19
txhellraiser
Four Point

Quote:
Gotcha. He doesn't look like he has much working blood in him. lol

We've got plenty of water always available and food wouldn't be an issue. Im just worried he would run off the first night and not come back. in and around the Athens area so good amount of woods.
I honestly dont know how much previous owner did with him and i havent had a chance to take him out yet. Brother killed a pig about a week ago and we brought some hide over here. He's been playing with it the last 7 days or so.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:29 PM   #20
txhellraiser
Four Point

I'll get my brother to chime in here in a bit. He worked with him the 2nd day we had him.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:47 PM   #21
cowman
Four Point

Quote:
I'll get my brother to chime in here in a bit. He worked with him the 2nd day we had him.

sounds good
Old 06-14-2018, 05:21 PM   #22
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper, TX

As someone that has raised registered catahoulas since the 80's.....You really cannot let them run loose. They will just cause problems. They need to be confined or chained when they are not working. Most of the time if you let them run loose he just end up with neighbors that hate you and a dog that gets shot. Good luck on getting him placed.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 05:41 PM   #23
txhellraiser
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
As someone that has raised registered catahoulas since the 80's.....You really cannot let them run loose. They will just cause problems. They need to be confined or chained when they are not working. Most of the time if you let them run loose he just end up with neighbors that hate you and a dog that gets shot. Good luck on getting him placed.

-john
Good to know.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:22 PM   #24
TexasMercenary
Four Point

Hunt In: Ohio, Indiana, New Mexico and Texas

Brother here. I had this dog at the house for the day to see what his deal was. Hes ultra athletic, and well behaved. I leave my catahoula and Brittany loose and they never leave the yard, so I wanted to see what this guy would do off leash. First thing he did was make a big loop around the property then head up the road. As soon as I called him he came right back and laid down with the other dogs. He was pampered by previous owner (slept inside, allowed on couches etc.), this ultimately led to a little separation anxiety. Nothing major. He showed an interest in pig hide/scent, so the option to make a worker out of him is there. Hell make somebody a great dog, working or otherwise.
TexasMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 09:09 PM   #25
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Dogs belong outside
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top