Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-12-2018, 07:01 PM   #51
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx_Wader View Post
You just have to go where they are and the boats are not.

I think the entire Texas coast should be at a 5 trout per person per day and that reds should be back at 5 per day.

But then I've seen a great fishery before the freezes in 83 and 89 and brother there were no where near the boats out there running around like they are now with a good number of them being operated by people who have no clue or who just don't care.

Over 1,100,000 fishing licenses were sold in Texas in 2017; it's not going to get any better either.

I think Mike McBride said it the best. "I pity those who consider a fishing trip a success or a failure by the number of fish in the cooler."
I agree, go to the 5,5,5. Those redfish limits are old
Mexico is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 09:24 PM   #52
texaset
Ten Point

Hunt In: North Tx Panhandle , Mid State and South Texas Brush Country

I think Mike McBride said it the best. "I pity those who consider a fishing trip a success or a failure by the number of fish in the cooler."[/QUOTE]

No better word could describe the way fishing is today . I haven't caught that many big trout over 25" but they are all still out there as far as I know .
texaset is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 09:49 PM   #53
JANKEII
Four Point

Hunt In: Gatesville

Cool story thanks for sharing
JANKEII is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 10:29 PM   #54
SneakyPhil
Ten Point

Hunt In: LANWR

The good old days for me were prior to the freeze in 1983 down in the lower laguna madre. I was just a few years into my wade fishing career but we used to catch some big trout. I know I caught at least one at 30" . This is all prior to digital cameras and we never took many photos with our catch because it was just fishing.
SneakyPhil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 10:54 PM   #55
PBUCKSHOT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Three Rivers, Tx

Great read. Love me some big trout. I fished Port Mansfield this weekend and we had 9 limits by 0900 two days in a row. There were very few kept under 17''. Croaker soakin is fun, especially when you are used to grinding out hours and hours of chunking lures.
PBUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 10:58 PM   #56
docmay
Pope & Young

Man, I would love to see a 40+ inch trout. I have caught a few over 30 inches and I love big trout. Pretty cool read! I donít know how you grow true monsters with all the pressure now but the numbers seem to be there when I fish.
docmay is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 12:04 AM   #57
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:

I think the entire Texas coast should be at a 5 trout per person per day and that reds should be back at 5 per day.

But then I've seen a great fishery before the freezes in 83 and 89 and brother there were no where near the boats out there running around like they are now with a good number of them being operated by people who have no clue or who just don't care.

Over 1,100,000 fishing licenses were sold in Texas in 2017; it's not going to get any better either.

I think Mike McBride said it the best. "I pity those who consider a fishing trip a success or a failure by the number of fish in the cooler."
I 100% agree about the fishing pressure.. I remember skipping school, with a buddy or two, and hitting the surf back in the early 80's, when the trout green water would move in.. We would hit Bryan beach and fish it all the way down to the mouth of the Brazos... There literally would not be a single person on that entire stretch of beach.. Now that beach is wall to wall people, 7 days a week, leaving behind mounds of trash, as soon as temps get hot enough..
For someone like myself, who grew up down there, it is a sickening sight.....
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 08:26 AM   #58
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:

Yeah I cannot believe the redfish limits have not increased. They seem to be back with vengeance. The number of redfish in the area we target them has become absolutely insane over the past 5 years.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 10:34 AM   #59
Rack Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Knee Deep Salty Water

Then maybe you should throw one in the cooler every now and then you Trout Snob...
Quote:

Rack Ranch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top