Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-07-2018, 12:55 PM   #1
Terry
Ten Point

Default Leica versus Vortex

Already know that Vortex is less expensive however between

The Leica Geovid 10x42 HD R and the Vortex Fury HD 10x42 which one would you select? You are planning to use them regularly and for a long time.

Swarovski not in the mix because of the range finder limitations,control on left side, not under 33yd etc
Terry is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 12:59 PM   #2
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

Those 2 brands shouldn’t be mentioned in the same paragraph if quality and durability is what you’re looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jooger17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 01:25 PM   #3
ramrod
Six Point

When I bought mine last year, I was trying to pick between the same two. The price and warranty was the main reasons I was even looking at vortex. I ended up with the Leica and have no regrets.
ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 01:27 PM   #4
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin

Never had a problem with Vortex. For the price, I would put them up against Sworvski's any day. No one here will agree with me, but that's fine.

My own anecdotal evidence was elk hunting last year, when I was able to see tines from my Vortex bino's and our guide couldn't see anything besides color of the elk's back out of his Swarovski's. Guide used my bino's and was able to see the tines.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 01:35 PM   #5
Fightinaggies
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Not comparable, Leica by a mile
Fightinaggies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 01:45 PM   #6
Walding1989
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall county

Leica
Walding1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 01:48 PM   #7
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooger17 View Post
Those 2 brands shouldn’t be mentioned in the same paragraph if quality and durability is what you’re looking for.

Vortex are **** good optics but this is 100% true.
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 01:57 PM   #8
WBT
Eight Point

Hunt In: Stephenville

Leica
WBT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 02:05 PM   #9
texas shag
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County, Old Mexico

Leica. Leica. Leica.

cant say it enough.......

Leica
texas shag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 02:09 PM   #10
Mexdeer19
Eight Point

Hunt In: Freer, Texas

Another Leica vote
Mexdeer19 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 02:11 PM   #11
Fmjag64
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grayson Co. Montague Co.

Comparing a Kia and a Mercedes.....
Fmjag64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 02:21 PM   #12
Terry
Ten Point

Thanks
Old 06-07-2018, 02:22 PM   #13
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Quote:

That's my thought as well--
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 02:28 PM   #14
dustinhanna
Eight Point

Hunt In: Val Verde, London

Leica. Always have extra batteries.
dustinhanna is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 02:57 PM   #15
TexasWicked1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas & Arkansas

Quote:

Precisely.

If you are going to compare Vortex ranging binos to anything it should be again the Nikon Laser force.
Optically those two are close, but the Nikon faster scanning.
TexasWicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 03:26 PM   #16
WyoBull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming

I have had the Leica Geovid 10x42 HD range finding binoculars for a few years and they are without a doubt the best glass I have owned. The range finding is spot on and I have custom load development data in them and that is spot on as well.
WyoBull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 03:39 PM   #17
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
Never had a problem with Vortex. For the price, I would put them up against Sworvski's any day. No one here will agree with me, but that's fine.

My own anecdotal evidence was elk hunting last year, when I was able to see tines from my Vortex bino's and our guide couldn't see anything besides color of the elk's back out of his Swarovski's. Guide used my bino's and was able to see the tines.
Which model Bino’s?
150class is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 03:58 PM   #18
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

I've seen it all now come on deer season
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 04:42 PM   #19
docmay
Pope & Young

I take my hunting time pretty seriously and I’m willing to spend whatever it takes to get the gear I think works the best for me and is ultra reliable. I use Leica Geovid 10x42 rangefinding binos. I also carry a leupold handheld rangefinder as a backup and on some final stalks. I think vortex products are great for their price point and are totally functional. I have never looked through a piece of vortex glass that outperformed Leica or Swarovski.
docmay is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 05:46 PM   #20
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Quote:

Sorry, but I call BS on this one unless his Swaro's are screwed up. May be true, but I doubt it. Leica's or Swaro's over anything else on the market hands down. Being able to see earlier and late will separate the lower priced binos from the Leica's and Swaro's and also eye strain over a full day of glassing will show also. BUT, this is just my opinion. I personally have the old model Swaro 10x42's that have served me well for many, many years.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 05:56 PM   #21
gumbl3
Ten Point

Hunt In: muenster

Snap-On vs Harbor Freight
gumbl3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 06:02 PM   #22
Deers & Beers
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I Can

I agree with everyone else, but Leica does have the crappiest customer service in the industry and Vortex CS is incredible.. Something to consider

For binos, I would get a Leica or Zeiss.. Swaros are the best but out of my price range

Last edited by Deers & Beers; 06-07-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Deers & Beers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 06:04 PM   #23
Boss Buck
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stephen Co.

I have a pair of high end Vortex. I also just got high end Leupold. Gave the vortex to my son. I’d trade leupold for Swarovski or Leica all day long.
Boss Buck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 06:09 PM   #24
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deers & Beers View Post
I agree with everyone else, but Leica does have the crappiest customer service in the industry and Vortex CS is incredible.. Something to consider

While I have heard the same about Leica CS, I would never sacrifice glass quality for better customer service, especially when you are getting into 4 figures for glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 06:11 PM   #25
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
Sorry, but I call BS on this one unless his Swaro's are screwed up. May be true, but I doubt it. Leica's or Swaro's over anything else on the market hands down. Being able to see earlier and late will separate the lower priced binos from the Leica's and Swaro's and also eye strain over a full day of glassing will show also. BUT, this is just my opinion. I personally have the old model Swaro 10x42's that have served me well for many, many years.

I have to agree with this and so would my wife. I have/had both and there is no way any glass Vortex has will outperform even lower end Swarovski glass.

The glass in Vortex Razor binos is good, but not Swarovski, Leica or high end Zeiss good.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:13 PM   #26
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson County

These threads never end well.

OP do a search on a bird watching forum and you will get the answers you need. Those folks live behind spotting scopes and binos far more than most hunters and guides. You will soon get your answer there, fairly certain it will be a German brand with Schott glass. Matter of fact there was a bird watching guide on THF that can answer questions.

For the most part the Leica will have much better optics and light transition, I will also assume your on a budget and trying to justify the cost difference between the two. I have my own experience with Leica and will leave it at that.

Buy what you feel comfortable with and go on a hunting trip. Leica optics will cost you as much as a Axis hunt, Vortex will cost you as much as a cull hunt.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 07:10 PM   #27
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:

Id like to know what model of each. My dad has some razor HD 10x42s and I have a set of swaro 10x42 EL HD and its not even remotely close. The HD swaro beats lieca too in my opinion. I have owned all 3. The swaro rangefinder in the binos isnt too impressive but niether is lieca. I use my EL HDs and a sig kilo 2000. I carry them both in an alaska guide creations harness with my kestrel. Everything from spotting to a wind and range call is on my chest and done within 30 seconds usually.

Buy the absolute best you can afford. If it takes saving for a month or two longer then so be it
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 08:14 PM   #28
Hurricanebow
Spike

Hunt In: Parker County

I would choose Leica. I have a set of inexpensive Vortex Diamondback binos that are really good for the money though. However, I can't really say the same about some of the other Vortex products I have used. Whether true or not, in my mind, it is more difficult to stumble across bad Leica products than Vortex products. I have a Leica ER 5 scope that I love. It's bright, crisp and clear.
Hurricanebow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 08:38 PM   #29
Radar
Ten Point

In my bow hunting gear I carry around south Texas is a Sig Kilo and an old pair of Pentax binos. Before y'all optic snobs get me on the ground and bust up my ribs, let me say this. On my Nilgai hunt this year, my guide had a pair of Nikon Rangefinder Binos and they are much smaller and lighter than most other brands.

I have really thought about about buying them, because it would be a two fer. Eliminate a range finder and save some space. The glass was ok and the rangefinder part was fast and decent. Reckon I would not use them in the mountains or plains, just in the Mesquites and brush. Rifle hunting, I have another set up for that. Watcha think?
Old 06-07-2018, 08:40 PM   #30
ReydonPete
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ok,Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Already know that Vortex is less expensive however between

The Leica Geovid 10x42 HD R and the Vortex Fury HD 10x42 which one would you select? You are planning to use them regularly and for a long time.

Swarovski not in the mix because of the range finder limitations,control on left side, not under 33yd etc
Might be best if you can use or try both during a low light condition time of day, dawn or dusk this will help you on making your own decision about which will best suit your needs.
These low light conditions will separate the differences between good binos vs great binos Then it will be up to you to decide if the price difference is worth paying for.
IMO ~ get the best quality glass you can afford
ReydonPete is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 08:49 PM   #31
Terry
Ten Point

For the record I have used Swaro’s for years, great glass and great CS. With that being said, what I do know is your eyes seldom improve with age, so quality glass is very important. Thanks for all the suggestions, the only advantage I saw in the Vortex was size and maybe CS. Swaro’s rangefinder not suitable for bow hunting plus controls not comfortable. Looks like Leica .
Old 06-07-2018, 08:55 PM   #32
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

I would go swaro over leica only because their is a consistent on hand history of Leica flip-flopping on wnty issues vs the swaro.

Swaro has a history of being exactly like Leopold & standing behind their product regardless...I know of several issues where Leica crawfished at every opportunity to avoid the same. FWIW.

lol at vortex in the same breath
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 09:50 PM   #33
hweissert
Ten Point

Hunt In: Panhandle, Fannin, Grayson, Kansas, Oklahoma

Swarovski over either any day of the week. But, just off warranty, and I’d probably not get either of the original mentioned I’d buy the vortex over Leica. My geovids were great glass but the range finder quit working after 14 months and they told me sorry, it’ll be 1800 dollars to replace them. I will never buy another Leica product again. Their CS and warranty sucks! I wouldn’t market a positive for Leica is they gave me a pair
hweissert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 10:07 PM   #34
Greylight318
Nubbin' Buck

Had to pay 120$ to repair my Leicas so the warranty is not great
Greylight318 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 10:32 PM   #35
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Id like to know what model of each. My dad has some razor HD 10x42s and I have a set of swaro 10x42 EL HD and its not even remotely close. The HD swaro beats lieca too in my opinion. I have owned all 3. The swaro rangefinder in the binos isnt too impressive but niether is lieca. I use my EL HDs and a sig kilo 2000. I carry them both in an alaska guide creations harness with my kestrel. Everything from spotting to a wind and range call is on my chest and done within 30 seconds usually.

Buy the absolute best you can afford. If it takes saving for a month or two longer then so be it
This 100%

My buddy sold his razors after our elk hunt and using my EL HD beside them all day. Not close. To some maybe not worth the big price difference and I can understand that, but performance isn’t on the same level.
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2018, 05:56 AM   #36
Radar
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hweissert View Post
Swarovski over either any day of the week. But, just off warranty, and I’d probably not get either of the original mentioned I’d buy the vortex over Leica. My geovids were great glass but the range finder quit working after 14 months and they told me sorry, it’ll be 1800 dollars to replace them. I will never buy another Leica product again. Their CS and warranty sucks! I wouldn’t market a positive for Leica is they gave me a pair
Same story here, they sent mine back and I resent them in a month later. They claimed a three year warranty on electronics then and these were 8 months old. I actually got in a yelling match with the idiot on the phone and magically I got new ones in the mail 2 months later. I sold mine and went on an Axis hunt with the money,Lol. I dont think I would pick Vortex over Leica for optics, but that is not really an apples to apples comparison.

If someone made a small lightweight version of binos with a rangefinder in them for bow hunting, I would buy them.

Last edited by Radar; 06-08-2018 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:07 AM   #37
tpcollins
Eight Point

Hunt In: Local

Quote:

I agree and I have optics in both. There's Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski - and then there's everybody else.
tpcollins is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2018, 06:28 AM   #38
Outlaw_6
Ten Point

Hunt In: LA and "The H"

I have been very happy with my Leica Geovid HD’s.
Outlaw_6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2018, 06:55 AM   #39
Capt.Brown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

The only similarities are there both binnos, that’s about it.
Capt.Brown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #40
Terry
Ten Point

Thanks for the info
Old 06-08-2018, 01:47 PM   #41
Tx_Wader
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

Quote:
I have never looked through a piece of vortex glass that outperformed Leica or Swarovski.
Same here and I'll add Zeiss to that list.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2018, 02:00 PM   #42
RShockley
Four Point

Hunt In: Public Lands

Depends on what your looking for. If looking for the higher quality glass go with the Leica. If looking for warranty and price go with Vortex. I have had both and the Lecia is quite a bit better especially during long glassing sits. However I have never found a time where I was unhappy or couldn’t get things done with the Vortex. I am a bit rough on equipment so I have started using all Vortex because of there warranty and customer service.
RShockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 09:00 AM   #43
Terry
Ten Point

It appears that for bow hunting Vortex Fury should work well, you are not shooting long range or in significant low light situations. I seldom shoot outside 40 yds and if light too low cannot see my pin anyway. Cost, performance for the task at hand, and CS lean towards Vortex.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:11 AM   #44
J.B.
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

The best warranty is one you never have to use. I've had to use Vortex's warranty 4 different time on different optics. Most issues related to internal components coming loose and reticles shifting inside scope.

I have the 10x42 Leica's now and I love them. No issues; super clear optics.
J.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 11:12 AM   #45
Terry
Ten Point

I hear you, I have a pair of Swaro’s, no issues and have a Vortex I use at home and three I have given to family, so far, about six years, no issues.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:14 AM   #46
sandbill
Six Point

Hunt In: Montague County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw_6 View Post
I have been very happy with my Leica Geovid HD’s.
Same here.
sandbill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 11:23 AM   #47
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
It appears that for bow hunting Vortex Fury should work well, you are not shooting long range or in significant low light situations. I seldom shoot outside 40 yds and if light too low cannot see my pin anyway. Cost, performance for the task at hand, and CS lean towards Vortex.

The Vortex Fury is actually pretty nice and will likely work well for bowhunting.

Old 06-12-2018, 01:26 PM   #48
ReydonPete
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ok,Tx

Quote:
Post your results of which you buy, and what you like or dislike after you get chance to use them
Following for advise on my purchase, thanks
ReydonPete is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 02:04 PM   #49
Radar
Ten Point

Quote:
I was hoping you would buy the Nikon and let us know how good it was. Contact Arrowsmith on here and he will give you a good price on Vortex, plus he is a site sponsor
Old 06-12-2018, 02:21 PM   #50
samson33
Four Point

Quote:

That is what you would call an anomaly. Swaros are 100 times the binos of Vortex. Spend a significant amount of time glassing and the high end glass will always come out on top.

With that said, it is all relative to what your application is and what are your expectations. I spend a lot of time glassing on hunts all over North America. My Swaros and Leica are the best hunting investments I've ever made.

Last edited by samson33; 06-12-2018 at 02:25 PM.
samson33 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top