Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-08-2018, 05:32 PM   #101
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

How do yíall get motivated to start working out . I have never in my life worked out or ran . Iím very out of shape unless we are talking about round .
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 06:21 PM   #102
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
How do yíall get motivated to start working out . I have never in my life worked out or ran . Iím very out of shape unless we are talking about round .
Just start. Walking at a brisk pace is a great place to start. Once you start getting comfortable/bored with that then add in some jogging with the walking. Lifting weights or just body weight exercises several times a week will make you feel great in a short time. Youtube is your friend as far as finding upper and lower body exercises and the proper form to use when doing them. The amount of exercise will release endorphines into your brain accordingly and you will feel much more motivated to do more the next time. It is addicting. Set some reasonable goals and get after it. Best of luck.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 06:44 PM   #103
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Quote:
Itís tough and Iíve started and quit within a week so many times Iíve lost count

Following Cameron Hanes on insta was a portion of what got me to stick to it this time and wanting to be more fit and in shape for hunting out west in the future. Also I really started becoming unhappy with how I was looking in photos with all the weight I was gaining

It just takes that one spark to get it going honestly
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 06:46 PM   #104
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Back workout with 20 cardio in row machine today
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 07:10 PM   #105
rtp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
How's the shoulder doing? Mine has been giving me fits for awhile now. Between lifting heavy and shooting my bow it is aggravated. Kinda glad hunting season is over for me.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:45 PM   #106
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
How's the shoulder doing? Mine has been giving me fits for awhile now. Between lifting heavy and shooting my bow it is aggravated. Kinda glad hunting season is over for me.
Feels fine, and full range of motion. I know strength isn't there 100% and for the time being I'm finally ok with that. Sticking with medium type weight and slightly higher reps for now. Knowing when to say when is hard for me but I'm adapting

Avoiding certain lifts as well.... I got nothing to prove anymore just trying to make it pain free and surgery free as long as possible
Old 01-08-2018, 07:49 PM   #107
Low Fence
Pope & Young

When I had my shoulder checked he warned me my right bicep tendon was pretty aggravated as well. And I can tell it's still somewhat sore due to carrying a kid around a lot. So I have to be mindful there as well... kinda sucks cause I like to work arms, but I'm lucky I have arms that respond quick to just about any level of stimulus. No need to set new records
Old 01-08-2018, 07:50 PM   #108
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

And I'm out for a while. Heel pain is related to damaged /torn tendon (plantar fasciitis). Will only get worse if i run. Gonna try the bike for awhile
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 07:58 PM   #109
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Hate to heard that Bobby. At least you have "plan b"
Old 01-08-2018, 08:03 PM   #110
rtp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
And I'm out for a while. Heel pain is related to damaged /torn tendon (plantar fasciitis). Will only get worse if i run. Gonna try the bike for awhile
The bike is much easier on everything than running anyway. Getting that rump in saddle shape aint no fun though. Stick with it brother.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:04 PM   #111
Muskles
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee Co

Quote:
Quote:
Don't push it! I've been dormant for almost 3 months now. Haven't eaten too poorly, except for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner! When you first start, you have to push/force yourself to do it. After a month or two, you look forward to it. I started eating even better today. Got off too late today to workout before I fed. I don't workout late in the evening because I won't sleep at night. I may have to make myself get up early in the mornings. I feel better if I workout first thing in the morning. When I stopped working out in late October, my tennis elbow was acting up and my back and shoulders were hurting as well, everything feels great now. Gonna start back slow (hopefully tomorrow) and focus more on form than lifting any certain amount of weight. Athlean-X (YouTube) shows you the right and wrong way to lift. Either Jeff knows his stuff, or he's good at blowing smoke up your arse. Guess I'll find out. Gonna really have to push myself for a couple weeks. My wife has her eye on an elliptical, so maybe I can get some extra cardio in also.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Muskles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 08:04 PM   #112
rtp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Feels fine, and full range of motion. I know strength isn't there 100% and for the time being I'm finally ok with that. Sticking with medium type weight and slightly higher reps for now. Knowing when to say when is hard for me but I'm adapting

Avoiding certain lifts as well.... I got nothing to prove anymore just trying to make it pain free and surgery free as long as possible
That is pretty much the speech my Dr gave me about 2 years ago. Glad you were able to find some middle ground and stay after it.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:06 PM   #113
icetrauma
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dreams

Quote:

Several things motivate me.

1. Vanity - Yeah, I hate to say it but I'm not happy with the way I look and I know I have some good mass under this winter layer, once it's pealed off.
2. Health - I want to get off of my BP meds and hopefully I can get off my CPAP machine. Sleeping with that mask is uncomfortable.
3. To so set an example for my kids that, proper health and taking care of your body is very important. My son is a Type 1 Diabetic and he is just now starting to hit the gym. He's 14.

The hardest part of a journey is the 1st step, so cliche but it's true. And this hardest step is getting in to the gym. Once you're there, it's all a good time.

Quote:
20 minutes on the row is brutal. I usually just row for 2000 meters.

Quote:
Negative on the being out Ghost Rider. Go to plan b. Stick with it.

Quote:

This time of year is the hardest for me for those very reasons. Cutting the weight back to up the reps and decrease the rep time is hell on the mental game.

Glad your limb is doing better.
icetrauma is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 08:28 AM   #114
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

Overslept this morning by 45 minutes so I had to cut it short. Probably a good thing since my back is still hurt form yesterday. I think I strained a rhomboid. I've done it before and it literally took my breath away. Good thing this is not as bad. I made it in and did some chest and legs. Flat bench/walking lunges with kettle bells, cable fly/hanging leg raise/weighted crunches.

I spent more time on the floor stretching out my hip than anything. I'll be back in the saddle tomorrow.

I'm thinking arm day.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 08:54 AM   #115
Rich1201
Four Point

Hunt In: LBJ Grasslands, Lamar county

I hit the elliptical this morning and am trying to get back on the keto diet. I am down to 200 from 225. Ultimate goal is to hit 175. Got a mule deer hunt in Sept in AZ. That's my motivation.
Rich1201 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 09:14 AM   #116
popup_menace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Back yard, stand, or my dreams

Quote:
Here are the things that get my butt off the couch and on the road or in the weight room (in order):

1) I owe it to my daughter to be healthy enough to play with her as she grows up and keep up with her when Iím older

2) I owe it to my wife to stay healthy enough to make her life enjoyable by being able to work on things around the house and give her a man to be proud of

3) I donít want to be fat
popup_menace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 12:26 PM   #117
icetrauma
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1201 View Post
I hit the elliptical this morning and am trying to get back on the keto diet. I am down to 200 from 225. Ultimate goal is to hit 175. Got a mule deer hunt in Sept in AZ. That's my motivation.

Here is the link to our Keto thread if ya want to join in.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=638923

Got it in today and had a good session. Chest/back and abs. Sets were done in super set style as usual with 90 seconds or less rest time. After warm up, here is the meat of the session.

5x10 each super set

BB row/Hammer Strength incline
Cable Rows/Hammer Strength decline
Reverse grip Lat Pull downs/DB incline flyes - had to use straps on last set because L grip was blown.
Finished off with some ab work.

Tomorrow will be leg day. Depending on how the SI joint feels will depend on what I do.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:37 PM   #118
150class
Pope & Young

Eggs and avocado for breakfast

Fish and veggies for lunch

God I hate eating healthy lol

Pumped for shoulders here in a bit
Old 01-09-2018, 12:46 PM   #119
rtp
Pope & Young

2 eggs, a portion of link deer sausage and a side of sauteed spinach for breakfast
Protein shake when done with my workout
grilled chicken and steamed veggies for lunch. These were leftover from dinner last night

Warm up 1 mile on the treadmill, worked shoulders, traps and calves today. Light walk and jog for 10 minutes on the treadmill and 12 minutes of stretching my back and legs in the dry sauna.

Get after it and stay after it fellas!
Old 01-09-2018, 12:57 PM   #120
Rack Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Knee Deep Salty Water

Back in, I went from 12% body fat back up to 17% since Harvey. Had a cancer removed on the 2nd and they had to repair my nose with a skin graft. Should be cleared in about a week. My wife is already in Ketosis so I should be back on track in no time.

Endeavor to persevere.
Rack Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 12:58 PM   #121
icetrauma
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack Ranch View Post
Back in, I went from 12% body fat back up to 17% since Harvey. Had a cancer removed on the 2nd and they had to repair my nose with a skin graft. Should be cleared in about a week. My wife is already in Ketosis so I should be back on track in no time.

Endeavor to persevere.

Good to hear it all worked out well for ya. Iím doing Keto as well. I really enjoy that style of eating.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:56 PM   #122
Chew
Pope & Young

Nice ride with no heel pain. This ol mountain bike is a little harder to move than a road bike.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:09 PM   #123
150class
Pope & Young

Shoulders consisted of:

D.B. press SS w/ D.B. shrugs
Cable side raises SS/ bar front raises
Cable shrugs SS w/ Cable face pulls
Smith Mch Military press
Smith Mch Rows
Aronold Presses
Mch Shoulder Press
Shoulder Flys

All were 4x12, 3x8, or Pyrimided

Short AB circuit

1.5 mile jog

Tomorrow is suppose to be Legs but hammy’s are still tender so probably chest and tris in the AM
Old 01-09-2018, 08:32 PM   #124
Muskles
Ten Point

Day #1 for the year. Upper body workout:

Warm up 3 minutes: Jog in place, jumping jacks, wide push-ups, high knees, simulated jump rope. (Make up your own warm ups in this program)

Spiderman crawl push-ups.
3 sets of 10 forward then 10 back.

Alternating neutral grip DB bench press.
3 sets of 10.

Alternating rotation DB shoulder press.
3 sets of 12.

DB shoulder L raises.
3 sets of 12.

Alternating wood chopper pushdowns with resistance bands.
3 sets of 12.

Tubing external rotation with resistance bands..
3 sets of 15.

60 second rest between sets.

Not familiar with the names/motions of some of these workouts, may be names/motions he's coined.

Cool down stretches 2 minutes.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:22 PM   #125
topshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshot View Post
I'm in on this one - I'm in my 30s and a bit overweight 5'9" appx #185, but the real issue is lack of agility, limberness, easily winded and joint pains when I do exercise. I've sat behind a desk for 9 hours a day for the past 12 years and it has not done me well.

I joined a men's soccer league this past fall and made it to 1 practice and 1 game, where I pushed so hard that my knees hurt for 4 weeks, as in I could barely walk and definitely couldn't run.

I bought a treadmill on impulse yesterday, mostly because it has the ability to link the video to iPad and you can walk/jog anywhere in the world with a trainer. basically, someone went on a hike/run/walk in remote trails on beach/jungle/Paris/mountains etc and were followed with a video camera, you essentially watch the video and it goes at your pace through the trail.

I'll be a world traveler and lose weight in my own home

wife and i are doing it together! will post my official weight on the scale later tonight.
I've spent the better part of the past 4 days clearing out the boxes from the spare room (which has been holding place to furniture and boxes since our move a few months ago, the house is in renovation phase) and installed 5.5" baseboards.

treadmill came in yesterday and its now in the room, unboxed - but not assembled. tomorrow i should have it up and ready for a test run.

my official weight as of tonight is: 184.8
topshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 09:25 PM   #126
Chew
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshot View Post
I've spent the better part of the past 4 days clearing out the boxes from the spare room (which has been holding place to furniture and boxes since our move a few months ago, the house is in renovation phase) and installed 5.5" baseboards.

treadmill came in yesterday and its now in the room, unboxed - but not assembled. tomorrow i should have it up and ready for a test run.

my official weight as of tonight is: 184.8
Stay motivated brother. 25 years of working odd shifts, extra jobs and eating on the run in my law enforcement career has made me 50 lbs over weight. The older you get, the harder it is to take off.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:36 PM   #127
topshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public land

Quote:
Stay motivated brother. 25 years of working odd shifts, extra jobs and eating on the run in my law enforcement career has made me 50 lbs over weight. The older you get, the harder it is to take off.
Thanks Chew - nice ride this morning, congrats!
topshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 10:05 PM   #128
150class
Pope & Young

Replacement shake for dinner

Ate like a dang bird today
Old 01-10-2018, 06:54 AM   #129
plentl65
Eight Point

Hunt In: McLennan County

Where are you guys that have workout plans getting them from? Are yíall making them up or finding them. Iíve been working out consistently for the past year and have my own regime thatís worked but the same workout is starting to get boring and I can tell my body is getting used to it.
Hit the gym yesterday morning for cardio and legs. Much less busy than the crazy afternoon rush. Also walked about 3 miles stalking pigs last night so got some extra miles in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
plentl65 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 07:27 AM   #130
150class
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by plentl65 View Post
Where are you guys that have workout plans getting them from? Are yíall making them up or finding them. Iíve been working out consistently for the past year and have my own regime thatís worked but the same workout is starting to get boring and I can tell my body is getting used to it.
Hit the gym yesterday morning for cardio and legs. Much less busy than the crazy afternoon rush. Also walked about 3 miles stalking pigs last night so got some extra miles in.

Jump around on some websites and make my own.

About time to make a change though so will search again and throw something together.

Hit the snooze a couple times so arrived at the gym 15 mins later than I wanted but knocked out chest and tris.

Quick warmup of Jump rope, high knees, jumping jacks

Barbell Bench (pyramided) SS w/ cable ext (high reps)
Incline bench (pyramided) SS w/ overhead cable ext
Cable flys SS w/ cable kickbacks
Smith decline w/ overhead DB ext
Mch Flys SS w/ Mch triceps dips
DB Bench (high reps) SS/ body dips
Push ups SS w/ standing side cable kickbacks (not sure what the exercise is honestly)

1 mile at 8:30 to finish
Old 01-10-2018, 07:52 AM   #131
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Good day today, but I'm gonna feel it later! Bi's, tri's legs and abs.

Barbell curl/weighted dips/incline leg raise
Hammer curl/overhead rope extension/hanging leg raise
Incline dumbbell curl/weighted crunches/seated incline leg press/calf raise

I needed to get some more arm work in, but had to be at work early. Gonna miss tomorrow too.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:07 AM   #132
icetrauma
Ten Point

Quote:

Different websites and YouTube channels like Mark Bells Supertraining06 and Brian Alsruhe.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:35 AM   #133
LiftAndShoot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kaufman County

I've had a handful of training days in 2018 so far. Signed up for my first triathlon (Sprint) just before Christmas. Takes place in March. All fun and games except I have no pool. Had a rest day yesterday but worked apnea. Day before was chest work and bike. Today should be LSD run.
LiftAndShoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 09:10 AM   #134
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetrauma View Post
Different websites and YouTube channels like Mark Bells Supertraining06 and Brian Alsruhe.
Bodybuilding.com and MuscleandFitness.com are pretty good sites as well.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:52 AM   #135
icetrauma
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKiller View Post
Bodybuilding.com and MuscleandFitness.com are pretty good sites as well.
Yes sir, plus a lot of years of lifting.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:56 AM   #136
Rack Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Knee Deep Salty Water

Check out AthleanX,
www.athleanx.com

Quote:

Rack Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 11:08 AM   #137
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetrauma View Post
Yes sir, plus a lot of years of lifting.
It's all about picking stuff up and puttin' it down!
Old 01-10-2018, 11:31 AM   #138
150class
Pope & Young

Eggs and half a avocado for breakfast

Half a chicken breast, veggies, and rice for lunch (meal prepped lunches for all week)

Pizza was brought in for work..... ugh....
Old 01-10-2018, 11:54 AM   #139
icetrauma
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKiller View Post
It's all about picking stuff up and puttin' it down!
Yes sir it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150class View Post

Half a chicken breast, veggies, and rice for lunch (meal prepped lunches for all week)

Stay strong and remember, you donít put cheap gas in a diesel.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:59 AM   #140
icetrauma
Ten Point

Just got my butt kicked. Leg day and I felt it. After warm up here is how the carnage went down.

Kettle bell swings/BB squat super sets 5x5
Laying leg curl/Leg press super set 4x12 leg curls/4x15 leg press
Calve press on Leg Press machine 2x20 and 2 x 15
Seated leg curls/seated calve raises 4x12/4x15
10 minute walk in treadmill to finish up

All exercises, except calve press, were super sets with 90 seconds or less rest time. I really felt it today. Tomorrow is cardio and maintenance day. With abs of course.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:06 PM   #141
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150class View Post

Pizza is a good pusher! LOL!
Old 01-10-2018, 02:23 PM   #142
LiftAndShoot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kaufman County

Knocked out a treadmill run - 20 mins in Z2ish (had to guess, no HRM today) followed by foam rolling because I am still toting around a leg injury.

Anyone logging their workouts in an app or other site?
LiftAndShoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 02:28 PM   #143
jwood02
Four Point

Hunt In: Honey Grove

I use Jefit to log workout and My Fitness Pal for food.
jwood02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 03:17 PM   #144
icetrauma
Ten Point

Food MyFitnessPal for food.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:05 PM   #145
Muskles
Ten Point

Today was a cardio conditioning workout:

3 minute warm up.
Lateral run.
In in out out.
Icky shuffle.
Ali shuffle.
All on my invisible agility ladder 8 sets up and back down on each.
2 minute cool down. (Calf's were shot afterwards!)

Wanted to start yesterday off slow, but once you get started, it's hard not to see how far you can push yourself. Upper body is fairly sore today, I'm sure tomorrow will be worse. Gotta love that first two week back-to-it soreness! Athlean-X has more cardio workouts than I was expecting. Gonna go by the schedule this round, but I'll probably sub another weight lifting workout for most of the cardio, if I do a round 2.

Weighed in at 171# (calibrated scales) at work and 168# at home today.

Tomorrow is supposed to be legs! Yay!!

Old 01-11-2018, 06:45 AM   #146
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Yesterday was chest and cardio. Today will probably be arms and some core work with cardio
Old 01-11-2018, 06:47 AM   #147
150class
Pope & Young

Almost caved for dinner yesterday and did fast food but got in the kitchen instead (wife is in Seattle for work )

Legs today after work hopefully
Old 01-11-2018, 07:39 AM   #148
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Nothing today. Had to go to work early and will work late. Tomorrow is chest and back day.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:28 AM   #149
rtp
Pope & Young

Wade fished until dark 30 yesterday......drank some beer and ate Whataburger on the way home. Back at it today.....going to have to burn up those carbs from yesterday.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:13 PM   #150
icetrauma
Ten Point

Had a easy day today. Rowing Machine and treadmill for cardio. Did some rotator cuff and shoulder mobility work and abs.