Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 04-27-2018, 08:10 PM   #1
Reaper87
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lee county, Mason county
Default For those that shoot a hinge while hunting

Iíve been dedicated to my hinge release for a few months now and have been successful while hunting with it. I really like the way I shoot with it and Iím going to hunt with it this next season but how do you guys carry it? I end up with it in my pocket and have to dig for it when itís go time. Do you just half hitch it to your wrist with a piece of string or what?
Reaper87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2018, 08:04 AM   #2
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan wells, fedor, paige, rocksprings

I shoot way better with mine as well, especially on animals because the click makes me slow down and focus more

While walking, I keep it in my pocket. When I get in the stand; I just put it on my lap, keep it in a chest pocket, or I just lay it in between my bow Limbs if it’s hanging
kd350 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2018, 03:43 PM   #3
Reaper87
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd350 View Post
I shoot way better with mine as well, especially on animals because the click makes me slow down and focus more

While walking, I keep it in my pocket. When I get in the stand; I just put it on my lap, keep it in a chest pocket, or I just lay it in between my bow Limbs if itís hanging
I struggled with the click. I switched to the hinge to combat target panic the click seemed to make the tp worse. And thatís how Iím doing it now just didnít know if someone was trying something else.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:46 PM   #4
Ttechhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes Co.

I shoot a no click hinge. I carry it in my front right pocket. I have a backup in my pack if I drop it out of my tree stand. A wrist strap will only put it in your way I think. Good luck!
Ttechhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2018, 04:32 PM   #5
Reaper87
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttechhunter View Post
I shoot a no click hinge. I carry it in my front right pocket. I have a backup in my pack if I drop it out of my tree stand. A wrist strap will only put it in your way I think. Good luck!
You have a good point. I tried to put a string on the release. Itís either too long and slips off my wrist or itís too short and it messes with the way I hold the release. Neither is good. I can just feel digging in my pocket at go time is going to be an issue. I may try a release bag like many target archers have and see how that works for me.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:15 AM   #6
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

I had to look up hinge...aka...back tension release. I learned something new.

I’ve heard of a few guys that clip to their d-loop for traveling, setup and while in blind.

What brand are you shooting Reaper?
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2018, 06:30 AM   #7
Reaper87
Eight Point

I’m shooting a tru ball ht3. I haven’t played with any others but I shoot this one well after forcing myself to use it for the last 4 months. At first I was terrible with it. And I would clip it on the string but it has a single sear so that’s not an option
Old 04-30-2018, 07:28 AM   #8
Miller
Eight Point

Hunt In: Fort McKavett, Laredo

I use a handheld release for hunting. I use a lanyard on it for hunting. Especially when I am elk/spot and stalk hunting. I wouldn't be able to get it out of my pocket if I am squatting down or something. If I have a long sleeve shirt or jacket on I can stuff it in the sleeve if I don't think I will need it. I make them like this for myself and my son. Sorry it is the best picture I could find online.

Name:  lanyard.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  6.5 KB
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2018, 07:33 AM   #9
Rat
Ten Point

When walking it's in my pocket.

When still hunting it's in my hand.

In the blind I use a release bag with a drawstring.
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2018, 06:06 AM   #10
Reaper87
Eight Point

Just found something that will work with my tru ball release made by tru ball. Itís called the v-lock system. Look on Lancaster under release straps. You can get it with a buckle strap or just a lanyard. Iím gonna try one out.