Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-10-2018, 06:01 PM   #1
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas
Default Colorado unit 85 elk

Iíll be in this unit around Weston for archery elk. Dates Iíll be there is aug 31-sep 8 and on private land.

Anyone have any insight on the public in this area? I may go up for the opener and hunt public the week before or go to public if the elk sign is minimal on the private where Iíll be. Feel free to pm me if youíd like. More interested in pressure in this area or the San Isabel NF thatís close by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2018, 09:25 PM   #2
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WG Outdoors on Facebook

Private land next to public should be golden. Hopefully you have some hard to get to public land bordering it and you should find some elk. I’d say being early season find the water far off any beaten path and you should be golden. Keep me posted how it goes. I’ll be jealous for sure
elliscountyhog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2018, 09:35 PM   #3
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliscountyhog View Post
Private land next to public should be golden. Hopefully you have some hard to get to public land bordering it and you should find some elk. Iíd say being early season find the water far off any beaten path and you should be golden. Keep me posted how it goes. Iíll be jealous for sure

The private isnít very close to public but Iím coming back from a quick trip up there and there is good sign. Some really good trails and several rubs in multiple locations. Also some very good water sources as well. Didnít get to look at the public but itís public next to private and has some good timberline. Had a guy show me a few spots that heís seen elk while scouting for sheep. Itís about 2 miles in on a trail head and 2500 for up a steep slope to get to timberline

Old 08-10-2018, 10:14 PM   #4
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
The private isnít very close to public but Iím coming back from a quick trip up there and there is good sign. Some really good trails and several rubs in multiple locations. Also some very good water sources as well. Didnít get to look at the public but itís public next to private and has some good timberline. Had a guy show me a few spots that heís seen elk while scouting for sheep. Itís about 2 miles in on a trail head and 2500 for up a steep slope to get to timberline

Sounds like you are a lot better off then I was last year. I swore off co public land cause it sucked so bad. 4 days and not a single elk spotted heard or anything. Did see where one was cleaned that was as close I got.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:18 PM   #5
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Sounds like you are a lot better off then I was last year. I swore off co public land cause it sucked so bad. 4 days and not a single elk spotted heard or anything. Did see where one was cleaned that was as close I got.

Yeah, I just hope to hear one. At least Iíd feel like Iíd have a small chance of closing in. I may end up sitting over water if itís quiet. Prolly wonít be very vocal the last week of August

Old 08-10-2018, 10:20 PM   #6
RutnBuk
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills/Brown county

You need to be watching the road right now instead of worrying about elk. Lol
RutnBuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2018, 10:21 PM   #7
perow
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gordan, Moran

Quote:
Thatís ok-NM next year!
perow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 12:38 AM   #8
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by perow View Post
Thatís ok-NM next year!
You bet!!!! Very worse case we will try co again if we donít draw or get LO tags. So Dan can scout for us this year out there.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:39 AM   #9
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Quote:
You bet!!!! Very worse case we will try co again if we donít draw or get LO tags. So Dan can scout for us this year out there.