Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 07-15-2018, 12:15 PM   #51
robert97dodge
Six Point

Hunt In: Houston/trinity/Nacogdoches county NF

You can camp in east texas public land but it has to be designated camping areas. Depending on what part of Davy crocket you go to you could find a RV close to the area so you don't have to have generator or even a place like Ratcliff Lake. They have showers, RV hook ups and you're close to the woods.

I have some places I will leave my stand if I am evening hunting then coming back the next morning. If you plan on leaving it through mid day I would recommend a cable lock or hide it in the under brush. I would say a good climbing stand is very helpful in the area with a lot of pines. They did a lot of burning this year in angelina and davy so should be some good areas with short under brush this year.
robert97dodge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 02:58 PM   #52
HighwayHunter
Six Point

Did some scouting in the DC today and I couldnít keep count of how many does I drove past within 50 yards of the road on public land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 08:20 PM   #53
Haulinbass02
Four Point

Hunt In: Parker County, Hood County, Palo Pinto County

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert97dodge View Post
You can camp in east texas public land but it has to be designated camping areas. Depending on what part of Davy crocket you go to you could find a RV close to the area so you don't have to have generator or even a place like Ratcliff Lake. They have showers, RV hook ups and you're close to the woods.

I have some places I will leave my stand if I am evening hunting then coming back the next morning. If you plan on leaving it through mid day I would recommend a cable lock or hide it in the under brush. I would say a good climbing stand is very helpful in the area with a lot of pines. They did a lot of burning this year in angelina and davy so should be some good areas with short under brush this year.

Iím looking at the Alabama Creek WMA pretty heavily. Looks like there are 4 sites to camp there.
If that doesnít look good then the Ratcliff Lake area will probably be where we go.
From the map I have, it appears the federal land is in parcels throughout that whole area? How are boundaries marked?

Haulinbass02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 08:21 PM   #54
HighwayHunter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haulinbass02 View Post
Iím looking at the Alabama Creek WMA pretty heavily. Looks like there are 4 sites to camp there.
If that doesnít look good then the Ratcliff Lake area will probably be where we go.
From the map I have, it appears the federal land is in parcels throughout that whole area? How are boundaries marked?

You get a map with your APH I believe, also OnX maps show boundary lines.

HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 08:28 PM   #55
Haulinbass02
Four Point

Hunt In: Parker County, Hood County, Palo Pinto County
Default East texas public land thread 2018-2019

Double post
Haulinbass02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 09:54 PM   #56
jbhunting39
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas/Oklahoma

In. Hunt 3-4 different ETX public units. Will post up pics. Start scouting next month

jbhunting39 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 10:25 PM   #57
cphillips
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas - Smith & Marion County

Well I got a good 9 mile hike in today. Saw 18 deer 5 does, 13 bucks. Had my first in counter with a coral snake, and of course the usual cotton mouths were out and about. Anyways I have 4 cameras set out for a long soak, as long as they donít grow legs.

cphillips is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 10:28 PM   #58
cphillips
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas - Smith & Marion County

Encounter* corral* wouldnít let me edit the post, auto correct can be your enemy

cphillips is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 08:53 AM   #59
BarW
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tyler, Polk, Angelina counties, Colorado

We spend a fair amount of time camping and hunting various NF areas, started using the frame packs about three years ago. Feel like complete idiots for dragging animals for so many years. One evening last year two of us hauled out a doe and two hogs on the frame packs, so much easier than dragging.

Places we hunt if you find the last few trees that are dropping acorns during muzzleloader season they are better than feeders. Also nice and cool with minimal other hunters.
BarW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 07:03 PM   #60
robert97dodge
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haulinbass02 View Post

I used Hunt OnX maps on my GPS. That really helps. A lot of boundaries are marked with signs or you will see red corner fence post. Alabama creek has some good camping areas but very primitive. No water, power or anything really. They will bring out port a johns during season though. If I am camping for 4-5 days I would rather be by a lake at least somewhere with electricity so not having to run a generator the whole time.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:04 PM   #61
robert97dodge
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphillips View Post
Well I got a good 9 mile hike in today. Saw 18 deer 5 does, 13 bucks. Had my first in counter with a coral snake, and of course the usual cotton mouths were out and about. Anyways I have 4 cameras set out for a long soak, as long as they donít grow legs.

Thats a good day of scouting! I saw my first Corral snake last year and I see lots of cotton mouths as well. I am working away from home for the week so I hung all my cameras around the yard to make sure they're all working and I will get them out in the woods soon.