Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-15-2018, 02:34 PM   #301
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

From left to right... Rosie, Lucy, Riley, Gator and Blazer. Gator is one big , strong sumbuck!!! Once they click they are going to make one hell of a team. Like Riley says ď heís fast Dad I mean real fastĒ
Attached Images

BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 09:54 PM   #302
BrandonA
Pope & Young

This weekend Riley and Gator will be running in the Elite in Waco Thursday and Friday, Friday Night Marble Falls, and Saturday Night either Tejas or Waco for Short Round. Got to make some noise and win some money
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2018, 10:31 PM   #303
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stonewall County

Trying to track down registration paperwork for horses SUCKS!
aggie2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 05:02 PM   #304
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Had a busy weekend !!! Waco Elite and Marble Falls CPRA. Barely tipped the 2nd in Marble to win it. She clocked 15.3 and change and 15.8 was winning it when we left. Made the championship round in Waco Saturday and it was a **** train wreck. Ran over 2 Barrels and told her she should have kicked the third over for a trifecta lol Overall good weekend!!! We know this duo can be fast just have to work out the details!!!

Name:  A752F2EA-DAC0-4F04-BAD2-6F27EFAF9D1B.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  102.5 KB
Old 07-22-2018, 05:10 PM   #305
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
Had a busy weekend !!! Waco Elite and Marble Falls CPRA. Barely tipped the 2nd in Marble to win it. She clocked 15.3 and change and 15.8 was winning it when we left. Made the championship round in Waco Saturday and it was a **** train wreck. Ran over 2 Barrels and told her she should have kicked the third over for a trifecta lol Overall good weekend!!! We know this duo can be fast just have to work out the details!!!

Attachment 916707
Congrats to Riley on the fine weekend
Old 07-22-2018, 05:24 PM   #306
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie2000tx View Post
Congrats to Riley on the fine weekend
Thank you
Old 07-22-2018, 06:06 PM   #307
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hereís a pretty cool pic following the previous one. So many times I see kids and adults pull up after coming around a barrel then head to the next. That start stop is time and time is money. Here is a picture of a smooth transition of turn and go to the next one. Give them their head and let them run.

Name:  2FD894B0-D104-4071-9FCF-4F6CE2776C4F.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  58.8 KB
Old 07-22-2018, 11:50 PM   #308
Gonzo
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Jacinto County

Just found out my wife is pregnant and will be due in February. This is will be our first and we donít know the gender yet but I know I want him or her to experience some Rodeo. Came across this small saddle at the Fredricksburg trade days and just had to have it for my baby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2018, 12:51 PM   #309
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Well my daughter took a few weeks off. About to start again. Got the mare for sale. Looking for some new events right now for team penning. Should be a fun fall season
Old 08-05-2018, 01:01 PM   #310
BrandonA
Pope & Young

We are taking a couple weeks off as well. Jr High Rodeos will be kicking off and we have a Jr NFR Qualifier and The American Qualifier. Gonna be a busy fall
Old 08-08-2018, 05:08 PM   #311
Rack Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Knee Deep Salty Water

My wife and daughter are in Edna this evening, my daughter is riding and my wife is working. If your there, my wife is set up doing massage work on the horses, stop by and tell her how I spend to much time on TBH.

Good luck
Rack Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2018, 05:23 PM   #312
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

We have the Blanco County Youth Rodeo next Wednesday evening to kick off our fall season. Sarah is pumped and ready to compete. She was close to winning all around last year in the 10 and under and was the 2nd to youngest. The 2 ahead of her have moved up an age class. Hopefully she can make some clean runs.
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2018, 09:37 PM   #313
BrandonA
Pope & Young

A buddy of mine in Cheyenne made this frame for Riley and his wife picked the colors. What she didn’t know is that Riley shortly after this run and before this frame was even started , was that she decided to run Gator in all Turqouise boots and we’re get some Turqouise shirts made. “ Proverbs 31:25...She is Clothed in Strength and Diginty and Laughs Without Fear of the Future

Name:  BB01CAA5-0244-4AB7-BEC8-8E602BF39AA5.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  69.4 KB
Old 08-18-2018, 04:15 PM   #314
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Last night in Hamilton I think Riley and Gator clicked !!! 16.92 on slow ground. I don’t know how to post video but it was good. Smooth is fast and fast is good.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:13 PM   #315
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Last night in Hamilton I think Riley and Gator clicked !!! 16.92 on slow ground. I donít know how to post video but it was good. Smooth is fast and fast is good.
That is great
Old 08-19-2018, 12:07 AM   #316
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Riley and Gator won 3rd place tonight at the Open Pro Rodeo in Pleasanton !!! These two are going to do great things!!! She finished behind 2 NFR Qualifers . Jacque Woolman won first and has been such a mentor and role model to Riley. Surround yourself with legends and you will someday become one.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:00 AM   #317
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Riley and Gator won 3rd place tonight at the Open Pro Rodeo in Pleasanton !!! These two are going to do great things!!! She finished behind 2 NFR Qualifers . Jacque Woolman won first and has been such a mentor and role model to Riley. Surround yourself with legends and you will someday become one.
That is awesome Brandon. Congrats to Riley and Gator

Abbey and Cowboy are going to participate in 2 horsemanship clinics coming up in the next couple of weeks. Glenn Hodges is putting them on in Comanche
Old 08-19-2018, 11:32 AM   #318
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:

Abbey and Cowboy are going to participate in 2 horsemanship clinics coming up in the next couple of weeks. Glenn Hodges is putting them on in Comanche
That should be a good clinic.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:04 PM   #319
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:

Horsemanship and knowing how to ride is such an advantage. You can be mounted on the best horse but if you donít know how to ride you will get beat by somebody who does with a lesser horse. You see Parents Velcro their kids into a saddle to try to circumvent learning to ride.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:40 PM   #320
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Horsemanship and knowing how to ride is such an advantage. You can be mounted on the best horse but if you don’t know how to ride you will get beat by somebody who does with a lesser horse. You see Parents Velcro their kids into a saddle to try to circumvent learning to ride.
I would never strap my kid onto a horse. I always told both of my kids if they wanted to rodeo they better learn to ride and control a horse. My daughter has really come a long way On her horse skills over the past year and it really is starting to show. She was riding and competing on 4 different horses this summer. Any time she asks to go to a horsemanship clinic I gladly take her because she is just absorbing it all right now. The quality of horses she is riding has also gotten better throughout the years as well

Last edited by aggie2000tx; 08-19-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:17 PM   #321
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
I would never strap my kid onto a horse. I always told both of my kids if they wanted to rodeo they better learn to ride and control a horse. My daughter has really come a long way On her horse skills over the past year and it really is starting to show. She was riding and competing on 4 different horses this summer. Any time she asks to go to a horsemanship clinic I gladly take her because she is just absorbing it all right now. The quality of horses she is riding has also gotten better throughout the years as well
Right on!!! Friend of mine and NFR qualifier in barrels preaches to Riley ride your horse. She tells Riley you want to be fast ride smart and smooth. Smooth is fast and fast is good. Jacque Woolman has really been a great mentor and role model to Riley. She also preaches to Riley the importance of horsemanship
Old 08-19-2018, 07:09 PM   #322
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Right on!!! Friend of mine and NFR qualifier in barrels preaches to Riley ride your horse. She tells Riley you want to be fast ride smart and smooth. Smooth is fast and fast is good. Jacque Woolman has really been a great mentor and role model to Riley. She also preaches to Riley the importance of horsemanship
It is great to surround them with wonderful mentors
Old 08-19-2018, 08:05 PM   #323
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
It is great to surround them with wonderful mentors
Yes!! Surround yourself with winners!! Riley has been blessed to have some of the greats mentor her.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:19 PM   #324
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Riley has some great role models

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  89.7 KB

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 182
Size:  26.4 KB

Last edited by BrandonA; 08-19-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:57 AM   #325
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Horsemanship and knowing how to ride is such an advantage. You can be mounted on the best horse but if you donít know how to ride you will get beat by somebody who does with a lesser horse. You see Parents Velcro their kids into a saddle to try to circumvent learning to ride.
this is exactly why Sarah can beat most of the kids on bigger horses is because she is learning horsemanship. She started slow and then one day started running 3-4 seconds faster than all the kids who were beating her by 5-6 seconds.

Congrats again to Riley. Gator and her are doing great. Is she going to compete in the Gunner Thames rodeo? It pays well and there is also a barrel race in Dripping that weekend that pays really well. Only 20 entered up in it last year.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:59 AM   #326
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Sarah will start her season up again the weekend after Labor Day.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:08 AM   #327
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntertex View Post
this is exactly why Sarah can beat most of the kids on bigger horses is because she is learning horsemanship. She started slow and then one day started running 3-4 seconds faster than all the kids who were beating her by 5-6 seconds.

Congrats again to Riley. Gator and her are doing great. Is she going to compete in the Gunner Thames rodeo? It pays well and there is also a barrel race in Dripping that weekend that pays really well. Only 20 entered up in it last year.

That's great with Sarah. As far as the Gunner Thames I'm not sure. I will have to ask. Would like to run there for sure.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:44 AM   #328
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Quote:
That's great with Sarah. As far as the Gunner Thames I'm not sure. I will have to ask. Would like to run there for sure.
if she does, you have a place to crash if need be. Plus I still have this ugly purple koozie you left last time. LOL
Old 08-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #329
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
if she does, you have a place to crash if need be. Plus I still have this ugly purple koozie you left last time. LOL

Easy now on the Koozie. Killer Frog Purple is better than that puke orange I will let ya know soon as I find out. Thanks
Old 08-20-2018, 11:05 AM   #330
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Easy now on the Koozie. Killer Frog Purple is better than that puke orange I will let ya know soon as I find out. Thanks
Killer Frog Purple is definitely a huge step above puke orange........
Old 08-20-2018, 11:37 PM   #331
BrandonA
Pope & Young

This weekend we will be back in Hamilton to kickoff the TJHRA Year. I'm really excited about what this yr will bring. Last yr she missed qualifying for the state finals by 1 point. She ran 4 horses and Lucy was crippled all yr. With Gator and Lucy sound and running we are going to make some noise. They stay sound and keep them up they are gonna be hard to beat. Come a riding girls because Gator and Riley are. CPRA FINALS were coming for you 2019 Finals. Go be great ..Perfect effort
Old 08-25-2018, 07:46 PM   #332
BrandonA
Pope & Young

One thing can’t teach or coach is heart. This morning Riley got yard darted in the poles and hung a stirrup. She got thumped pretty good and landed hard. She got back on , with pain, and placed in the breakaway, goats, and made a smoking run on Lucy to win 2nd. Never discount the heart of Champion!!! She showed me more today and so proud. Best effort every time!!!
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2018, 12:37 PM   #333
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Riley definitely has the heart of a champion. I think Sarah is going to take the rest of the year off. I hate to see her do that, but not gonna push her.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:57 AM   #334
BrandonA
Pope & Young

20 yrs ago on Labor Day weekend I drew 718 Kings X of Lesterís. He was one rank eliminator dude and could have bucked in the eliminator pen in Vegas. I drew 2x before and he yard darted me like a rag doll both times. When I found out I drew him my first thought was negative. But then I refocused I said Fíit if your gonna buck me off tonight itís gonna be witha spur in your neck. I went after like a caged coin and when the whistle blew I was still there ( then he thumped me lol). I won Borene with 86pts. I tell Riley donít be scared to be aggressive trying win first. Go after them and be the aggressor!!! Good luck to all kiddos competing this weekend!!!

Name:  376010FE-7EFB-4624-8A5E-E2718736E0CC.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  60.0 KB
Old 09-01-2018, 12:45 PM   #335
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Well my Abbey is doing great in the clinic. Mr. Hodges has been using Abbey has an example for the certain skills because her and Cowboy are doing everything right today. She absolutely loves this horse
Old 09-01-2018, 12:48 PM   #336
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Cowboy and Abbey looking good this morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2018, 12:50 PM   #337
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well my Abbey is doing great in the clinic. Mr. Hodges has been using Abbey has an example for the certain skills because her and Cowboy are doing everything right today. She absolutely loves this horse
Thatís great!!! Tell Abby to keep working on the details and horsemanship!! Devils in the details and the details will make the difference!!! Go be great and give a perfect effort!!
Old 09-10-2018, 12:16 PM   #338
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

I have a set of Barnmaster stalls in the classifieds that surely one of you Rodeo families could use!

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=704235
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2018, 02:18 PM   #339
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Well looks like Sarah will be out for a while in the fall for sure. Her horse started limping labor day weekend and is still limping. Hopefully he is just sore or bruised. Possible one of our other horses kicked him. Vet wants him on bute for a few more days to see if it will heal up, if not they are going to have to do some xrays and stuff to figure out why he is limping.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #340
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well looks like Sarah will be out for a while in the fall for sure. Her horse started limping labor day weekend and is still limping. Hopefully he is just sore or bruised. Possible one of our other horses kicked him. Vet wants him on bute for a few more days to see if it will heal up, if not they are going to have to do some xrays and stuff to figure out why he is limping.
That stinks. Gator is still getting over his abcess as well. Looks like we will be running Lucy again this weekend.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:18 PM   #341
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Quote:
That stinks. Gator is still getting over his abcess as well. Looks like we will be running Lucy again this weekend.
It does, I am just hoping it is nothing major and can be fixed with time off and maybe some meds..........
Old 09-10-2018, 04:37 PM   #342
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Hope it is nothing major. We have a horse colicing right now but think we caught it
Old 09-15-2018, 07:48 PM   #343
BrandonA
Pope & Young

This morning Riley and Lucy ran a 17.077 to finish 3rd. Behind a 17.024 and a 17.047. When you talk about the Devils in the details.. there it is. Riley wasn’t running Gator but Lucy shows up and competes!!
Old 09-17-2018, 10:11 AM   #344
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Riley had a good weekend. Her and Lucy made 2 great Runs. Its hard to convey to her the importance of being consistent vs winning first every time. Don't get me wrong I want to win first but the big thing is to keep making solid runs and keep three barrels up. You will get your wins in between. We are running a Marathon not sprint. 8 more rodeos to go. Congrats to Jordyn Sunday. She made a great run and she is just a super sweet kid and good friend to Riley!!!

Name:  pals.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  71.2 KB

Name:  tuff.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  59.2 KB
Old 09-17-2018, 10:13 AM   #345
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

keep at it Riley......Well done..........
Old 09-17-2018, 10:44 AM   #346
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Nicely done Riley
Old 10-05-2018, 11:15 AM   #347
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Well Brandon what has Riley been up to? Bump this back up top
Old 10-05-2018, 11:19 AM   #348
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Well she has been going to some CPRA rodeos and we have our last Jr. High Rodeo this weekend. Gator his back and he spent a week being swam. Riley is sitting 1st and it would be nice to leave the semester in the lead. Lucy strained her suspensory ligament last weekend so she is out for 4-6 weeks. Hopefully we have a good weekend and we can hold unto the lead. After this weekend we are going to shut it down for a few weeks.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:08 PM   #349
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well she has been going to some CPRA rodeos and we have our last Jr. High Rodeo this weekend. Gator his back and he spent a week being swam. Riley is sitting 1st and it would be nice to leave the semester in the lead. Lucy strained her suspensory ligament last weekend so she is out for 4-6 weeks. Hopefully we have a good weekend and we can hold unto the lead. After this weekend we are going to shut it down for a few weeks.
Glad to hear Gator is back. Go get em this weekend Riley!

Hootie finally stopped limping and Sarah has started to get him back in shape. I figure she is gonna be out 3-4 more weeks getting him tuned back up, so that will pull her out the rest of this year. Just gonna get her horse in shape for next year and make a run then.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:15 PM   #350
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Glad to hear Gator is back. Go get em this weekend Riley!

Hootie finally stopped limping and Sarah has started to get him back in shape. I figure she is gonna be out 3-4 more weeks getting him tuned back up, so that will pull her out the rest of this year. Just gonna get her horse in shape for next year and make a run then.
They have a swim facility in Stonewall that is real good. For horses coming of leg injuries its a good way to get them in shape thats not as physically hard on them.