Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 10-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #1
MedicineMan7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere they let me in!
Default Cape Buffalo with a longbow. Let the adventure begin!

Just over a year ago, my wheels started turning and really TRULY thinking about chasing Cape buffalo. It's been literally my #1 bucket list hunt I've wanted to go on for as long as I can remember.
Well, during my last trip over to Africa, my buddy Lammie and I discussed it and decided it was fully doable with a longbow (and after seeing Mr. Tim King smoke his big bull a couple months ago with his recurve confirmed that!). After talks of the hunt, next came the equipment preparation. I really wanted to go with a longbow since that's always been my go to bow, so I contacted Mike Westvang from Dryad Bows about my plans and to see if he was up to putting together a bow. After a few talks, he and his crew were up for the task of putting together my buffalo bow.
Fast forward to this summer and we really ramped up the plans and decided on what needed to be done to get the bow built and not have any worries bout it. They put the handle together using Dynamax, glass laminations, and several strips of carbon for added strength. For the limbs I wanted two sets, one as my "warm up" set and another as my buffalo hunting set. Both came in right on the money in weight with the warm-up set being 67lbs and the heavy set being 76lbs. My plans are to build up my muscles as much as possible and get comfortable with the lighter set, then fully transition into the heavier limbs a couple months out from the hunt.
I've never shot any trad bows that are near this heavy so it's going to be a whole new ballgame. I figure arrow tuning is going to be the biggest issue, just trying to get the weights I need to fly as PERFECTLY as I possibly can. The hunt is scheduled for next August/September so I've got lots of time to get everything prepared for this gig. I'm sure I'll be bouncing questions arrows and this and that off of you guys that have shot heavier bows. Should be a wild ride one way or the other!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MedicineMan7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #2
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sheridan, Victoria, Weesatche and Mississippi

Following along!!

OleTomTalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2017, 04:41 PM   #3
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Awesome! Where in Africa?
Aggiehunter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2017, 08:00 PM   #4
Caddo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lampassas County

Cool deal! Following, I bet Buff would have some good pointers.

Caddo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2017, 08:19 PM   #5
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Liberty Co.

Awesome!!! I would bend Buff’s ear if I were you.
CastAndBlast is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2017, 08:57 PM   #6
Randy Madden
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

That'll do!!! Good looking set up!!
Randy Madden is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2017, 09:15 PM   #7
MedicineMan7
Ten Point

Default Cape Buffalo with a longbow. Let the adventure begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastAndBlast View Post
Awesome!!! I would bend Buff’s ear if I were you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddo View Post
Cool deal! Following, I bet Buff would have some good pointers.

Buff will most definitely be in the loop on all of this. I actually talked to him first before I ever started making actual plans for all this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
Awesome! Where in Africa?

South Africa, most likely in the Zululand area.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:26 PM   #8
Buff
Pope & Young

Start with a 300 grain tuff head with titanium Broadhead adaptors and work backwards from there.
76# limbs will get it done but you need a heavy arrow.
When we went to Australia for water buffalo, Mark was using a 75# bow and started out with 700 grain arrows that did not do a great job.
He started using my 980 grain arrows and had much better luck
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2017, 09:30 PM   #9
Buff
Pope & Young

Getting you bow and arrows "Just Right" is half the fun.

I know where you can get a Cape Buffalo for $7,500.00 all in.
I'm going next year and take one with a .69 caliber muzzle loader
Old 10-18-2017, 06:58 AM   #10
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

Good looking bow!! That'll be an awesome hunt.

CRM_95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2017, 07:20 AM   #11
widdler
Ten Point

Hunt In: HUFFMAN

76# Hurts my shoulder and collar bone just thinking of pulling it back. You guys are tuff.
widdler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2017, 08:12 AM   #12
TxSportsman
Eight Point

Good luck getting prepped. Really cool scheduling a trip like this.
TxSportsman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2017, 10:12 AM   #13
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever

You know what I really like about that bow... is that it looks like a cape buffalo

I've pulled back an 80# bow once... the second time I didn't quite hit anchor

My only suggestion is that when working on building up your muscles, I would consider hitting the gym and working on all aspects of your upper body... back, shoulders, chest etc. Nothing is going to as good as pulling back the bow itself, but archery is naturally and imbalanced muscle recruitment and it would be good to strengthen in a balanced manner.
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2017, 10:54 AM   #14
MedicineMan7
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Start with a 300 grain tuff head with titanium Broadhead adaptors and work backwards from there.
76# limbs will get it done but you need a heavy arrow.
When we went to Australia for water buffalo, Mark was using a 75# bow and started out with 700 grain arrows that did not do a great job.
He started using my 980 grain arrows and had much better luck
Getting you bow and arrows "Just Right" is half the fun.

I know where you can get a Cape Buffalo for $7,500.00 all in.
I'm going next year and take one with a .69 caliber muzzle loader

That's is exactly where I'm planning on starting at with the arrow setup. I'm shooting for something in the 950-1000grain range hopefully, just gotta find the right shafts for it. Didn't you put a smaller diameter shaft inside of a carbon express 350??
And I will apologize now as I will prolly be calling you a few times in the future trying to get this all figured out!
Old 10-18-2017, 11:07 AM   #15
MedicineMan7
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by widdler View Post
76# Hurts my shoulder and collar bone just thinking of pulling it back. You guys are tuff.
Haha, yes sir. I put together the 67lb set last night and looked at it for a long time and thought "how the heck am I gonna string this thing, much less shoot it!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
You know what I really like about that bow... is that it looks like a cape buffalo

I've pulled back an 80# bow once... the second time I didn't quite hit anchor

My only suggestion is that when working on building up your muscles, I would consider hitting the gym and working on all aspects of your upper body... back, shoulders, chest etc. Nothing is going to as good as pulling back the bow itself, but archery is naturally and imbalanced muscle recruitment and it would be good to strengthen in a balanced manner.
Honestly, that was my first thought when I opened the case and saw the riser for the first time. Although we'd talked about materials, I didn't really know what color it was going to be, but was pleased with the darker look very reminiscent of an ol' cape buffalo's horn colorations.

I started working out (more seriously) about a year ago now and began incorporating a lot of back and shoulder exercises into my routine up until a couple months ago and switched things around to get ready for the mountains. I'm lucky that I have a wellness center literally across the parking lot from my office so I go workout during my lunch time which is really nice. I will agree with you big time though on one thing, there truly isn't a better exercise to prepare yourself for shooting a bow then to actually shoot! My biggest thing is I want to shoot it correctly, not just rare it back and fling an arrow down range, not only for consistency sake, but also because I don't want to cause any unnecessary injuries to my shoulders or back.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:07 AM   #16
wloftis
Eight Point

Hunt In: All Over Texas

Following this! Good luck!
wloftis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2017, 02:24 PM   #17
R.Armendariz
Eight Point

Hunt In: South tx.

Nice looking bow , those 67 lb limbs should push them out pretty hard. Careful on the learning curve don't hurt your shoulders. I would like to see the pics of a buffalo down.
R.Armendariz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2017, 02:56 PM   #18
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

I'm in!!
Acameron52 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2017, 03:46 PM   #19
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

"Adventure" is right! Very cool. Will be following along, Shiloh!

First thing I realized, getting a 70-lb recurve, was to get a better glove so that my fingertips are not numb all the time. Dura-Glove seems to be working. If you like a tab, Rick Barbee gets great reviews on his Death Adders.
tradtiger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2017, 07:17 PM   #20
Buff
Pope & Young

I put a bemoan 60 70 shaft inside of a 350 shaft.
It was too stiff for the 84# bow
I started cutting it off a 1" at a time putting a weight tube in behind it to hold it forward until it bare shafted like I wanted.
As I recall it was a 29" 350 with 19" of beman inside
Old 10-18-2017, 08:19 PM   #21
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

I've got a few fiberglass bow fishing arrows you can try that are plenty heavy. I wonder who first came up with the shaft in a shaft idea.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Last edited by DRT; 10-18-2017 at 08:24 PM.
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2017, 09:32 PM   #22
nothinbutwelves
Ten Point

Awsome and good luck
nothinbutwelves is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2017, 10:06 PM   #23
Caddo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lampassas County

I believe it was Monty Browning that used to hunt with fiberglass fish arrows. I think, with 80-90# Hill bows.

Caddo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2017, 10:11 PM   #24
DRT
Pope & Young

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:50 AM   #25
Bisch
Pope & Young

Good luck Shiloh! I have no doubt you will get it done.

Bisch
Bisch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2017, 09:16 AM   #26
MedicineMan7
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Armendariz View Post
Nice looking bow , those 67 lb limbs should push them out pretty hard. Careful on the learning curve don't hurt your shoulders. I would like to see the pics of a buffalo down.

I only shot them a couple times the other night to see how well my back could handle it, and they shot pretty good. I have a long ways to go with tuning, but was impressed with how the bow shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradtiger View Post
"Adventure" is right! Very cool. Will be following along, Shiloh!

First thing I realized, getting a 70-lb recurve, was to get a better glove so that my fingertips are not numb all the time. Dura-Glove seems to be working. If you like a tab, Rick Barbee gets great reviews on his Death Adders.

This is something I've thought about a bunch. I have to feel the string, so there is a fine line I think I'll be walking down trying to find the comfortable "feel" and still having enough padding there so my fingers aren't hurting all the time from shooting. I've built the last 3 or so gloves that I have shot the last 7 or 8 years just because there isn't any on the market I have found to like that would last me very long, so I may end up having to make one just for this setup.

Quote:
I put a bemoan 60 70 shaft inside of a 350 shaft.
It was too stiff for the 84# bow
I started cutting it off a 1" at a time putting a weight tube in behind it to hold it forward until it bare shafted like I wanted.
As I recall it was a 29" 350 with 19" of beman inside

Heritage 350's were what I'd planned on giving a whirl. I'd really like to try some of Mick's widowmaker shafts if I could get ahold of them.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:21 AM   #27
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

Not sure it's the best idea, but I started adding lots of pull-ups to my workout routine and after a month my bows have been feeling a little lighter in the draw. Depending on when you add in crunches it can become a full upper body workout. Hope the tuning goes quickly and you are ready soon.
Dry Bones is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2017, 11:50 AM   #28
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Bones View Post
Not sure it's the best idea, but I started adding lots of pull-ups to my workout routine and after a month my bows have been feeling a little lighter in the draw. Depending on when you add in crunches it can become a full upper body workout. Hope the tuning goes quickly and you are ready soon.
Pullups have helped me a ton as well... especially on endurance... however too many pullups makes shooting the bow a challenge
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2017, 07:56 PM   #29
Dry Bones
Ten Point

^ yes sir. kinda get the spaghetti arm situation, but hey,.. great for fatigue training as well.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:04 PM   #30
Greyman
Eight Point

Hunt In: where the animals hide

good luck on your prep I have a 60lb long bow I would sell you to transition into the heavier weight.
Greyman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2018, 09:09 AM   #31
MedicineMan7
Ten Point

Well, with deer season finally winding down, I've been able over the last couple weeks start playing with the "warm up" set of limbs for my buffalo bow. They are 67lbs @28", so at my draw, I'm getting something close to 65lbs or so.

I've been working on bare shafting my arrows to get the best possible flight I possibly can out of them, and it's been kicking my butt. I started with a Carbon Express Heritage 250 shaft cut at 30" with a 100gr brass insert, footed by a 2" section of aluminum arrow and 250 grain point and slowly cut it down 1/8" or so at a time to get the spine as close to perfect as possible. Not shooting much over the last couple months, plus jumping up to such a heavy weight that I have never shot before has made it a bit tough. With the way I shoot, the cock feather has always been my "clicker" so to speak, as I release as soon as it hits my cheek. With the bare shafts, my clicker isn't there, so it's not automatic for me to release when I get to my anchor spot, throwing that in with trying to be sure I actually get to full draw with these heavy limbs, after a dozen or so shots a night, my release starts to fall apart so I have to call it quits. I finally reached a point where my arrow was just a touch weak and hitting nock high still, but getting really close to being right on the edge of being to short for comfort (to me) so I called it good and finally fletched one up to see how it flew. The shaft ended up being 28 1/8" long, and with 3 4" feathers total setup weighed in at just under 700gr!

I took a few shots at a blank bale in the shop I have set up for tuning just to see if it was flying fairly close to be bare shafts, as well as flying straight and it seemed to be. I walked outside and took my very first shot ever out of the bow at an actual spot to see how it faired. I was definitely pleased and even more surprised with my very first shot at an actual target ..

I'm hoping me and this rig continue to get along as I get to feeling more comfortable with the heavy poundage and transition to my 76lb set of limbs in the coming months. Still going to play with a couple more arrow combinations to see if I can come up with something else that shoots as good or better. This whole arrow tuning/bare shafting business is a whole new ballgame for me, so we shall see how it all goes!

Old 01-29-2018, 09:53 AM   #32
Buff
Pope & Young

Im shooting the 250s cut to 29" with the 100 grain insert and a 180 grain head as my everyday bow. Your setup sounds perfect to me.

Something that helped me when I was working up from 74 to 83 was I would always shoot the lighter bow most of my shots and just mix in the 83 for a shot now and then.
Seemed like if i had been shooting the lighter bow some the heavier weight didn't hurt as much

Last edited by Buff; 01-29-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:01 PM   #33
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Not sure this would help, but as I read you "clicker" dilemma I thought, Why don't you take a piece of a feather, say 1/8" or close and glue it in where the back of your cock feather would be. As long as you don't leave it extra tall you would still get the feel you were used to?
Hope the best for you and in your pursuit of the Buffalo. Stay actively chasing it.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:41 PM   #34
MedicineMan7
Ten Point

Quote:
Im shooting the 250s cut to 29" with the 100 grain insert and a 180 grain head as my everyday bow. Your setup sounds perfect to me.

Something that helped me when I was working up from 74 to 83 was I would always shoot the lighter bow most of my shots and just mix in the 83 for a shot now and then.
Seemed like if i had been shooting the lighter bow some the heavier weight didn't hurt as much

That's kinda the plan. I want to get to where this 67lb set feels comfortable and I can shoot it for a while without feeling shaky, then will start to incorporate the heavier set into play. My only problem with switching is, I only have the one riser so i'll have to take it apart to swap out limbs when I get to that point.

Quote:
Not sure this would help, but as I read you "clicker" dilemma I thought, Why don't you take a piece of a feather, say 1/8" or close and glue it in where the back of your cock feather would be. As long as you don't leave it extra tall you would still get the feel you were used to?
Hope the best for you and in your pursuit of the Buffalo. Stay actively chasing it.
Thanks sir! I've actually toyed with the thought of doing that, but never did it. I will however most likely incorporate that into my tuning with the heavier set of limbs when I get to that point!
Old 01-30-2018, 07:32 PM   #35
Dry Bones
Ten Point

That's no problem, just get another riser made.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:36 PM   #36
Buff
Pope & Young

Buy another riser, really
You need to be able to shoot a few from the light weight one then a shot or two from the heavy one then back to the light one without swapping limbs
Old 01-30-2018, 07:38 PM   #37
Buff
Pope & Young

I have a 74# Widow you can borrow for practice if you want
Old 01-30-2018, 08:03 PM   #38
DRT
Pope & Young

I'd love to try that Widow one day.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:19 PM   #39
Randy Madden
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Man, I like that dark riser!! Good luck bud!!!
Randy Madden is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 09:18 PM   #40
MedicineMan7
Ten Point

Quote:
I have a 74# Widow you can borrow for practice if you want.
Buy another riser, really
You need to be able to shoot a few from the light weight one then a shot or two from the heavy one then back to the light one without swapping limbs

I may take you up on that sir once I start getting closer to the point of shooting my heavy set.
I do have another riser, but it's 2" longer so it will drop the weight down a bit, but have thought of putting my lower poundage limbs in it. I really want to get as comfortable with my main riser as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Madden View Post
Man, I like that dark riser!! Good luck bud!!!
Thanks sir, I was pleased with how it turned out.
I'm ready to get my hands on my new bow soon!

Old 01-30-2018, 09:23 PM   #41
SwampRanger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Batson, Gulf Coast, Wyoming....

Following
SwampRanger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 08:59 PM   #42
DRT
Pope & Young

Where are you on this?

Old 03-22-2018, 12:34 PM   #43
MedicineMan7
Ten Point

Well, I'm a bit behind where I'd like to be, but making progress. Between work, weather being crappy when I'm off, and all other things, I have not been able to shoot nearly as much the last month or two as I'd have liked, with most of my shooting coming from slinging a few arrows in my shop at close quarters after everything settles down in the evenings. I broke out my target rig to try and help with form a bit and have been trying to shoot it regularly. Also, I finally broke down and started back at the gym 3 weeks ago to try and build up my back/shoulder muscles a bit more. My "light weight" setup has gotten much more comfortable and I'm able to shoot 30 or more shots out of it without any issues with my form/control problems. My good buddy Jeffro built me a test set of woodies that are around 600gr and they fly like a dream! Can't wait to take it out on the range and see how well I hold up with it.
Fixing to start ordering shafts and heads to begin working on and tuning my heavy set of limbs here in the next week or two. Should be some interesting times ahead for sure.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:36 PM   #44
MedicineMan7
Ten Point

Something about wood arrows and longbows that just feels "right"!

Old 03-22-2018, 01:51 PM   #45
Hunter Todd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin co. /Boswell, Ok.

Good shooting!
Hunter Todd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2018, 11:50 AM   #46
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Kinda got inspired by your post here a few months back and ended up with a longbow a TAD higher then I really wanted. I now have a longbow that draws 68# @ my draw and have been working into it for about 5 weeks. No real reason besides just the desire to do so, and it has made me shoot the lighter bows better.
Was the above picture done with the heavier limbs?
Old 04-24-2018, 08:23 AM   #47
MedicineMan7
Ten Point

Quote:
Kinda got inspired by your post here a few months back and ended up with a longbow a TAD higher then I really wanted. I now have a longbow that draws 68# @ my draw and have been working into it for about 5 weeks. No real reason besides just the desire to do so, and it has made me shoot the lighter bows better.
Was the above picture done with the heavier limbs?

No sir, still just shooting my light set. I did get my arrow shafts in this past week I plan on shooting out of the heavy set as long as they tune well. I agree completely with you though, after shooting my heavy bow, my target bows seem like kids toy bows!!

Hope your shoulder/back is feeling better!

Old 04-24-2018, 08:38 AM   #48
MedicineMan7
Ten Point

I wanted to make a target that resembled a buffalo, just to have that picture/size profile in my brain. Was planning on drawing and cutting one out on a piece of foam insulation board, but after a bit of looking, I was able to find this jewel that was way more realistic than what I'd have ended up with, and also saved me a bit of work!
Still planning on gorilla glueing it to a piece of foam to make it a bit more rigid and hopefully help it to hold up a bit longer. I gotta say, this thing was bigger than I expected!!

My wife was thrilled seeing me put this up in the living room.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:42 AM   #49
Rack Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Knee Deep Salty Water

That target is freaking awesome!!
Rack Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2018, 08:43 AM   #50
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Thanks, and yes it's getting there. Main issue is I haven't quit hunting or shooting long enough to completely heal.
When's the trip planned for?
BTW- Nice Buffalo in the living room. That has to be the first time a full sized one was in your house??