Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 08-02-2018, 04:11 PM   #151
RShockley
Six Point

Hunt In: Public Lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by chastings77 View Post
RShockley - that is about it. I depend on google earth a lot.

Honestly the public hunting land out there is fenced pretty well so that you are not hunting private land, don't cut corners and you are fine. Make sure and hike in a mile or two to get away from all the road hunters.

Don't shoot a mule doe.

I really like the archery season, you can go for any white tail, gobbler turkey, and mule buck. Very few people hunt archery season out there, probably because it is so difficult.

Let us know if you have any more specific questions.
Thanks! I did get OnX recently so that will be helpful. Now I need to just get out there and puts boots on the ground. Might try and figure out a 3 day trip to come hike and check it out during the week towards the end of this month or early next month. Would a tent be better to bring when hiking a few miles back or it there enough trees to use a hammock? Also need to hurry up and decide on a new boot for this season so I can get them broken in prior to coming out there.
RShockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2018, 11:47 PM   #152
Darkarcher159
Six Point

Hunt In: NW Milam County

RShockley, there are going to be way more places to pitch a tent than hang a hammock. You can find places for a hammock but for your first time I would think tent or just a ground pad. No fires either...cold camp.
Darkarcher159 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2018, 01:30 AM   #153
RShockley
Six Point

I’m planning on making a trip up the 23rd-27th of this month to check this place out. If anyone is interested your more then welcome to join. I’ve never been out here before so I’m just looking to learn as much as possible about the place. Bought some new binoculars to glass with as well. Still somewhat unsure what I’ll be doing for drinking water. I have a filter I plan to take but have been told the river is salty. Will filters work out here? If so is the lake, river, or creeks my best option for filtering. Really looking forward to checking this place out.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:51 AM   #154
TWarren
Four Point

Hunt In: Panhandle and New Mexico

The river has the color of chocolate milk. I imagine with sediment loads that high any water filter would clog quickly.
TWarren is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2018, 01:41 PM   #155
agwrestler
Eight Point

Hunt In: LBJ, Grapevine and Lake Meredith Nat. Rec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShockley View Post
Iím planning on making a trip up the 23rd-27th of this month to check this place out. If anyone is interested your more then welcome to join. Iíve never been out here before so Iím just looking to learn as much as possible about the place. Bought some new binoculars to glass with as well. Still somewhat unsure what Iíll be doing for drinking water. I have a filter I plan to take but have been told the river is salty. Will filters work out here? If so is the lake, river, or creeks my best option for filtering. Really looking forward to checking this place out.
Are you intending to hike in/out each day or camp 5 miles in? I've only done the former carrying all the water I'd use for the day with some spare/emergency ration.
agwrestler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2018, 02:55 PM   #156
chastings77
Spike

Hunt In: Lake Meredith, Crossbar

RShockley - what about getting a cheap hotel in Fritch or Amarillo and doing day hikes? I work with a lady that AirBnb's a few of her properties here in Amarillo that you could stay.

Camping out there this time of year is not my kind of fun.

Honestly you can get a lot done in a day and still have the flexibility to recon a different part of the lake the next day.
chastings77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2018, 03:39 PM   #157
RShockley
Six Point

Right now I plan on hiking out to Evans canyon late afternoon when I get out there and camping that night near the rim. That way it will be easy to just wake up and after a short walk be able to glass at first light. I will just carry my water for that time period with me with some extra then hike back to the truck that night. I will have my filter with me as a just in case. It has a mesh cover over the actual filer that can be removed and cleaned to remove sediment if needed. So the I will replenish water and camp that night some then checkout other area the remaining days. Haven’t been able to find anything but are shotguns with rifled slug barrels allowed in the archey and shotgun only areas or is smooth bore required.