Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 08-06-2018, 03:56 PM   #2151
elgato
Ten Point

While I have been getting plenty of pics actually seeing bucks has been difficult this year. Usually a late evening ride in July or early August and you can see a bunch of bucks. Not so this year. Part of the problem is using sunn hemp with cow peas the plots are so tall you couldn't see a giraffe in them.

I did see this buck this weekend. Handsome with super mass. Don't know which buck this is so not really sure about age. Here's a couple looks at him. I like the head on view!
Attached Images

elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 03:57 PM   #2152
Puncher51
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mason, Callahan, and Stonewall Counties

Holy smokes that’s another giant!
Puncher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 10:46 PM   #2153
Peyton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Carrizo Springs

I got 8 cameras out today and I hope to see a few like yours! Wow!!

Do you run cameras across the river?
Peyton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2018, 07:50 AM   #2154
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato View Post
While I have been getting plenty of pics actually seeing bucks has been difficult this year. Usually a late evening ride in July or early August and you can see a bunch of bucks. Not so this year. Part of the problem is using sunn hemp with cow peas the plots are so tall you couldn't see a giraffe in them.

I did see this buck this weekend. Handsome with super mass. Don't know which buck this is so not really sure about age. Here's a couple looks at him. I like the head on view!
NIce of him to pose right in front of the deer blind. I dont post much here but I love coming back to this thread time and time again.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2018, 08:10 AM   #2155
texas shag
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Old Mexico

Quote:

Great looking buck Rusty! We are dealing with the same issues on seeing mature bucks. 4 of us sat in blinds this weekend, morning and evening for scouting south of the Rio, and only say does and bucks 3.5 and younger. The big boys are nocturnal due to the heat right now.
texas shag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2018, 08:22 AM   #2156
JeffK
Ten Point

Looking like a stellar year. Rusty, how old do you guess the oldest buck to be on the property? At what age do see a drop off in antler growth? I would guess they would continue to improve at a fairly old age with the buffet you provide, but then again, it seems mature buck look for ways to kill themselves.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2018, 08:49 AM   #2157
elgato
Ten Point

I think this is the oldest buck I know of on the property. At his prime he was well over 170. I saw him several times last year and he was a very large 7 pt. I'm not sure exactly how old he is but certainly over 10.

I think most bucks around here peak at 6-7 though it is hard to tell because the biggest ones get shot then. The biggest buck we ever took from the farm was 5. Thats the problem with most age experiments...the big ones get shot so who knows when they would peak.Not all bucks age the same . Have seen some peak at 4 and others at 10. Lots of variables effect that such as nutrition, health, injury, genetics, paracites, etc.

No question in my mind that the brush country bucks tend to peak a little later at 7-9 , some older. We have let a lot of really big bucks die of old age there and that seems to be the trend. That said though with the bucks there being managed the way we do it 'seems' they are slowly peaking later in life than in the early days. May just be because we have so many more bucks in the uber age classes?

We have a buck at the ranch that was 15 last yr and probably one of the biggest 5 pts ever. When 14 he was a 7 pt with drop. I'd guess his main beams over 27". He was well over 170 at 4.
Attached Images

Last edited by elgato; 08-07-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:21 AM   #2158
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tilden & Utopia

I love the basketball hoop shape to the frame on the buck in post 2151. Has a lot of good things going for him. Love the mass and overall shape!
TildenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2018, 01:05 PM   #2159
BolilloLoco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

Looking Strong!!!!
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2018, 01:47 PM   #2160
Hix
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas- Gregg Co., Cass & Marion Co.

Quote:

That looks a lot like the buck Iím hunting
Heís a dandy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2018, 04:11 PM   #2161
elgato
Ten Point

I like the way this guy is filling out. Handsome for a 4 yr old. I've yet to see him 'live'.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2018, 04:17 PM   #2162
BolilloLoco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

Quote:
I like the way this guy is filling out. Handsome for a 4 yr old. I've yet to see him 'live'.
Oh yeah!!!!
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2018, 04:17 PM   #2163
elgato
Ten Point

It was a tough year for my soybean fields. I planted late April and was followed with a long cool wet spell. Germination was good but the beans just stalled. This allowed the deer to pounce on them and they never recovered with the deer ultimately wiping the fields out.

So late July in the middle of a drought I replanted 2 fields, 5 &7 acres with sunn hemp and cow peas. They popped up quickly even with 100' heat and no rain. A week later I got a little rain and 100% germination.

I think I will let them go till frost and overseed with rye to experiment . Of course may change my mind also but for now the fields should provide excellent late summer early fall nutrition.

More to come from this.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2018, 04:26 PM   #2164
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Quote:
Wow. Stud! And a monster in the making !
JLivi1224 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #2165
elgato
Ten Point

Finally got a daytime pic of this guy. Suspect he's done growing. 6 yr old native homegrown La. buck grown in lousy soils but on a high nutritional plane his whole life via plantings and pellets. He will get a pass this yr [ assuming I ever see him during the season ] just to see what he will do at 7.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2018, 11:51 AM   #2166
Nolove
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Medina County

Iíve been a loyal follower of your efforts for several years now. Iím always impressed, inspired and love reading new activity on your thread with my morning coffee. Thanks for taking the time to share and pass along your knowledge and accomplishments.

Forgive me if this is buried somewhere in this thread, but do you happen to have any before pictures of your native LA deer before you began your nutritional efforts? If no pics due to the era, can you describe the herd condition and genetics? Iím not familiar with LA native genetics other than yours, but am curious what this last buck pictured may look like without your plots and pellets for his whole life? Thanks again

If this has been previously covered, please donít repeat yourself, Iíll dig it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Nolove is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 12:20 PM   #2167
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo

Fantastic animals as usual sir!!! Keep up the good work
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 10:06 PM   #2168
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Lord, you have more bucks than you know what to do with.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 10:34 PM   #2169
bukkskin
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mexico

Quote:
I think this is the oldest buck I know of on the property. At his prime he was well over 170. I saw him several times last year and he was a very large 7 pt. I'm not sure exactly how old he is but certainly over 10.

I think most bucks around here peak at 6-7 though it is hard to tell because the biggest ones get shot then. The biggest buck we ever took from the farm was 5. Thats the problem with most age experiments...the big ones get shot so who knows when they would peak.Not all bucks age the same . Have seen some peak at 4 and others at 10. Lots of variables effect that such as nutrition, health, injury, genetics, paracites, etc.

No question in my mind that the brush country bucks tend to peak a little later at 7-9 , some older. We have let a lot of really big bucks die of old age there and that seems to be the trend. That said though with the bucks there being managed the way we do it 'seems' they are slowly peaking later in life than in the early days. May just be because we have so many more bucks in the uber age classes?

We have a buck at the ranch that was 15 last yr and probably one of the biggest 5 pts ever. When 14 he was a 7 pt with drop. I'd guess his main beams over 27". He was well over 170 at 4.
Wow, he is a Dinosaur. That's cool to see.
bukkskin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 10:54 PM   #2170
dstrong
Ten Point

Quote:
Finally got a daytime pic of this guy. Suspect he's done growing. 6 yr old native homegrown La. buck grown in lousy soils but on a high nutritional plane his whole life via plantings and pellets. He will get a pass this yr [ assuming I ever see him during the season ] just to see what he will do at 7.

Phenomenal deer
dstrong is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 11:38 PM   #2171
whackem and stackem
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX, Mid-west, all over

He's a superstar
whackem and stackem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2018, 09:59 AM   #2172
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Big old boy... love it.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2018, 09:22 PM   #2173
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolove View Post
Iíve been a loyal follower of your efforts for several years now. Iím always impressed, inspired and love reading new activity on your thread with my morning coffee. Thanks for taking the time to share and pass along your knowledge and accomplishments.

Forgive me if this is buried somewhere in this thread, but do you happen to have any before pictures of your native LA deer before you began your nutritional efforts? If no pics due to the era, can you describe the herd condition and genetics? Iím not familiar with LA native genetics other than yours, but am curious what this last buck pictured may look like without your plots and pellets for his whole life? Thanks again

If this has been previously covered, please donít repeat yourself, Iíll dig it up.

Thanks for your comments.I am appreciative.

When we first started with the property about 40 years ago I didn't see a deer for several years. Rampant poaching all but wiped the deer out. What we have now is the result of decades of enhanced nutrition habitat mgt,and intensive herd management. It needs to be repeated that we didn't raise a single buck in over 30 years that we would call a trophy today. It wasn't till about 3 years after we game fenced the entirety of the 2500 acres 8 yrs ago that we were able to realize the effects of decades of enhanced nutrition. FINALLY we were able to get deer to maturity. The moral of that lesson is just how much bucks move around. The deer we were feeding all summer were being shot all around the property some miles away. We couldn't get anything older than 3 or 4.

And that tells a lot about buck quality in Rapides Parish as well as the whole state. While we have proved that genetics in our area can be quite good if bucks are allowed to age and on a high nutritional plane year round, that is not the norm for the state.The 'typical trophy buck ' in our are would be 120"-140".

What the game fence has done for us is given us the OPPORTUNITY to manage herd dynamics. That includes allowing bucks to age, balancing ratio's , and matching population to the habitat.Fences don't grow big bucks. It's what is done inside the fence that makes a difference. And with this what we have shown is what can happen if bucks are allowed to mature while on a high nutritional plane their entire life.No infused genetics, no TTT no DMP, just standard bucks like in most other places.

I think what we have also seen is the epigenetic shift in quality as a response to the environment. While most of the bucks were getting shot every year nonetheless the females were still on a very high nutritional plane transferring this to their off spring. This went on for decades even though we weren't able to see it in the bucks because the were shot prematurely on neighboring properties. Once the fence gave us the opportunity to let bucks age we suddenly captured those decades of year round nutrition.

So what would the buck in the pic look like elsewhere in La.? Impossible to say but several things come to mind: 1) Most likely he would have been shot much earlier in life. Last yr he was mid 180's12 pt. Think many would have passed him up? 2) There aren't many places that provide year round nutrition 365 days a year for 40 yrs. It adds up over time. Saying how much is beyond my scope. 3) Overall the quality of our bucks is better than elsewhere in the state. That suggests this buck most likely wouldn't have realized his full genetic potential without the environment he is in and would have been smaller. We did take 3 of the top typicals in the history of the state...in 2 yrs! I think that offers insight to the effects of long term nutrition and age.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:31 AM   #2174
Nolove
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Medina County

Quote:
Thanks for your comments.I am appreciative.

When we first started with the property about 40 years ago I didn't see a deer for several years. Rampant poaching all but wiped the deer out. What we have now is the result of decades of enhanced nutrition habitat mgt,and intensive herd management. It needs to be repeated that we didn't raise a single buck in over 30 years that we would call a trophy today. It wasn't till about 3 years after we game fenced the entirety of the 2500 acres 8 yrs ago that we were able to realize the effects of decades of enhanced nutrition. FINALLY we were able to get deer to maturity. The moral of that lesson is just how much bucks move around. The deer we were feeding all summer were being shot all around the property some miles away. We couldn't get anything older than 3 or 4.

And that tells a lot about buck quality in Rapides Parish as well as the whole state. While we have proved that genetics in our area can be quite good if bucks are allowed to age and on a high nutritional plane year round, that is not the norm for the state.The 'typical trophy buck ' in our are would be 120"-140".

What the game fence has done for us is given us the OPPORTUNITY to manage herd dynamics. That includes allowing bucks to age, balancing ratio's , and matching population to the habitat.Fences don't grow big bucks. It's what is done inside the fence that makes a difference. And with this what we have shown is what can happen if bucks are allowed to mature while on a high nutritional plane their entire life.No infused genetics, no TTT no DMP, just standard bucks like in most other places.

I think what we have also seen is the epigenetic shift in quality as a response to the environment. While most of the bucks were getting shot every year nonetheless the females were still on a very high nutritional plane transferring this to their off spring. This went on for decades even though we weren't able to see it in the bucks because the were shot prematurely on neighboring properties. Once the fence gave us the opportunity to let bucks age we suddenly captured those decades of year round nutrition.

So what would the buck in the pic look like elsewhere in La.? Impossible to say but several things come to mind: 1) Most likely he would have been shot much earlier in life. Last yr he was mid 180's12 pt. Think many would have passed him up? 2) There aren't many places that provide year round nutrition 365 days a year for 40 yrs. It adds up over time. Saying how much is beyond my scope. 3) Overall the quality of our bucks is better than elsewhere in the state. That suggests this buck most likely wouldn't have realized his full genetic potential without the environment he is in and would have been smaller. We did take 3 of the top typicals in the history of the state...in 2 yrs! I think that offers insight to the effects of long term nutrition and age.

You are speaking my love language...thank you for such a thorough response. There is something that resonates with me about a high fence ranch with the native herd versus the same with imported genetics. Still feels natural, doing right by the land. There is 30 years of frustration behind my simple question and you answered it like you were inside of my head. The Legend of Elgato...thanks again.

Nolove is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2018, 08:56 AM   #2175
EastTexasMan
Ten Point

Hunt In: A pop up Blind in East Texas

I wish the 13" rule was a 5.5 year old+ rule, but it's too hard to judge the age of a deer on the hoof by the average hunter.

We try to shoot 4.5+ bucks on our place, and we'd go for 5.5+ if that was actually obtainable, but in our part of east texas you see 4.5 year olds every year, but you rarely see a 5.5 year old (unless he's a cull). I'm not sure if I've had but maybe 1-6.5+ year old on camera in 9 years that would be a trophy.

We've only killed 2 bucks in 5 years as well (usually see about 15-20 per year), so someone's killing 'em.
EastTexasMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2018, 12:18 PM   #2176
elgato
Ten Point

Since I brought up game fencing perhaps now is a good time to delve a little deeper. I may be in a unique position to discuss the pros/cons and actual experiences in a non emotional way. As mentioned I have lived and hunted on my farm for 32 years with low fence and this will be the 8th yr. with a fence. I also own a 2500 acre 'pasture' along the Rio Grande. I hunted this pasture for 5 yrs. before fencing it. Beyond that I have a game fenced 'pasture' that is adjacent to another low fenced pasture I also own. I think I can speak accurately to my experience and comparatives.

Starting with my farm which makes a great example what I have found is that the fence has had essentially no impact on deer behavior. They are as wild as ever if not more so. We hardly ever see a deer on the fence unless it just happens to be grazing in the vicinity. There are bucks we find on cameras we never see. Some we see all the time. Appears to me it has more to do with individual personality.However, the hunting now is much better than it used to be. But even that follows traditional experiences. Some days are great, some days you don't see a thing. Nonetheless there are a lot more bucks around to see and there is always the opportunity to see a giant.

Whats also fun is the deer behaviors we get to see. Fighting, chasing, rutting, breeding, big bachelor groups, ...all the stuff that one would want to see in a well balanced deer herd with great age structure . And while you might get to see more bucks in a given hunt, chasing a specific deer is super challenging.

So what about the high fenced pasture next to the low fenced pasture? The only difference I see is that I hold a slightly higher population of bucks on the fenced pasture. And that might be simply because I have been feeding and managing it longer. Now both pastures have the same mgt. practices with feed and population and the quality production is similar. There is no difference in the challenge or quality of the hunt.
Regarding the challenge of the hunt I place the difficulty in this order:
Hardest--my farm!!!
2nd-- the 2500 acre fenced pasture in Mexico
Tied for 3rd--the other 2 adjacent pastures
Easiest--With no comparison when I used to hunt the King Ranch

I'm sure there is a point in size where game fencing creates a 'pen ' environment. Thats probably a function of habitat as well as size. What I know is that in my circumstance I have only found the hunting vastly improved and more fun.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #2177
ethic1
Six Point

Great write up Rusty! I agree on the fence not changing much but our ability to manage the heard better. I hunt a very large high fence place on the Texas side and it is every bit as tough to hunt as any low fence place I been!

You didnít rank delta property for hunts! That is one of the most amazing places areas I have ever hunted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ethic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2018, 04:26 PM   #2178
EastTexasMan
Ten Point

Quote:
Since I brought up game fencing perhaps now is a good time to delve a little deeper. I may be in a unique position to discuss the pros/cons and actual experiences in a non emotional way. As mentioned I have lived and hunted on my farm for 32 years with low fence and this will be the 8th yr. with a fence. I also own a 2500 acre 'pasture' along the Rio Grande. I hunted this pasture for 5 yrs. before fencing it. Beyond that I have a game fenced 'pasture' that is adjacent to another low fenced pasture I also own. I think I can speak accurately to my experience and comparatives.

Starting with my farm which makes a great example what I have found is that the fence has had essentially no impact on deer behavior. They are as wild as ever if not more so. We hardly ever see a deer on the fence unless it just happens to be grazing in the vicinity. There are bucks we find on cameras we never see. Some we see all the time. Appears to me it has more to do with individual personality.However, the hunting now is much better than it used to be. But even that follows traditional experiences. Some days are great, some days you don't see a thing. Nonetheless there are a lot more bucks around to see and there is always the opportunity to see a giant.

Whats also fun is the deer behaviors we get to see. Fighting, chasing, rutting, breeding, big bachelor groups, ...all the stuff that one would want to see in a well balanced deer herd with great age structure . And while you might get to see more bucks in a given hunt, chasing a specific deer is super challenging.

So what about the high fenced pasture next to the low fenced pasture? The only difference I see is that I hold a slightly higher population of bucks on the fenced pasture. And that might be simply because I have been feeding and managing it longer. Now both pastures have the same mgt. practices with feed and population and the quality production is similar. There is no difference in the challenge or quality of the hunt.
Regarding the challenge of the hunt I place the difficulty in this order:
Hardest--my farm!!!
2nd-- the 2500 acre fenced pasture in Mexico
Tied for 3rd--the other 2 adjacent pastures
Easiest--With no comparison when I used to hunt the King Ranch

I'm sure there is a point in size where game fencing creates a 'pen ' environment. Thats probably a function of habitat as well as size. What I know is that in my circumstance I have only found the hunting vastly improved and more fun.
I'm not a HF hunter, but IMO, once you get to a certain acreage size the fence doesn't really matter. Hunting 2,500 acres HF is a totally different game then 250 acres.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:34 PM   #2179
Hix
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas- Gregg Co., Cass & Marion Co.
Default A year in the life of a farm

I agree, that fence isnít helping him kill anything, itís stopping others though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2018, 05:05 PM   #2180
MasonCo.
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brazoria Co, public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexasMan View Post
I'm not a HF hunter, but IMO, once you get to a certain acreage size the fence doesn't really matter. Hunting 2,500 acres HF is a totally different game then 250 acres.

How in your opinion is 2,500 acres different from 250 acres both high fenced?
With the same ratios of deer per acre.
How is it different

MasonCo. is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2018, 05:10 PM   #2181
ethic1
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonCo. View Post
How is it different

I think most times the 250 donít have same ratio. They pack them in!

ethic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 01:42 PM   #2182
elgato
Ten Point

Now back to the daily trials and tribulations of life on the farm.You may think this looks like a regular armadillo. You are wrong. This is THE DEVIL ARMADILLO !!! He moved into my garden a couple of weeks ago and has been reeking total havoc tillering everything up. I have had 2 traps set. I have gone out late at night in my drawers and boots with shotgun unsuccessfully. Finally, last night he made his big mistake and now I haves moved him to a land far far away to prey on other innocent souls.
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2018, 03:41 PM   #2183
bukkskin
Eight Point

Quote:
Now back to the daily trials and tribulations of life on the farm.You may think this looks like a regular armadillo. You are wrong. This is THE DEVIL ARMADILLO !!! He moved into my garden a couple of weeks ago and has been reeking total havoc tillering everything up. I have had 2 traps set. I have gone out late at night in my drawers and boots with shotgun unsuccessfully. Finally, last night he made his big mistake and now I haves moved him to a land far far away to prey on other innocent souls.
Hehe, I have been out late at night in my drawers and toting a gun plenty of times.
Gotta do what you gotta do to rid the land of vermin.
That sucker looks old, glad you got him relocated.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:49 PM   #2184
Grumpy1911
Eight Point

Hunt In: Louisiana/South Texas

Quote:
How is it different

You may better start Your own thread for that one sir.
Grumpy1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 03:59 PM   #2185
EastTexasMan
Ten Point

Quote:
How is it different

10x the land for el jefe grande to hide from you. IF your after a certain buck don't you agree it would be harder to locate and kill him over 2500 acres, than 250 acres? Or 100 acres?
Old 08-14-2018, 04:09 PM   #2186
ATXArcher
Six Point

Hunt In: Burnet

Thanks for always being so willing to share what you have going on with all of your properties! The more I read the more I learn.
ATXArcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 04:27 PM   #2187
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy1911 View Post
You may better start Your own thread for that one sir.
Both of em need to take that someplace else. This thread ain't the place for it.

Great write up Gato and very well said.
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 05:10 PM   #2188
EastTexasMan
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
Both of em need to take that someplace else. This thread ain't the place for it.

Great write up Gato and very well said.
I'm not taking anything anywhere. El Gato was talking about the benefits of having a HF, and I stated in agreement that once you get over a certain acreage IMO then the fence isn't making it any easier to kill a big buck. Takes a lot of work to get one of those big ones down if he has a lot of land to hide in.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:25 AM   #2189
Jtrisler
Six Point

Quote:
You didn't drop him off in Jonesville did you???? LOL I have one......or two.....or several that are wreaking havoc on my yard. I can never catch them!!!!! Bad thing is that I have two Jack Russell's on the yard and at night all they do is lay on the front porch and sleep.

Bucks are developing nicely Mr. Rusty!
Jtrisler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 11:24 AM   #2190
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

What is your plan for fall planting?
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 03:51 PM   #2191
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
What is your plan for fall planting?
I haven't put together my specific planting program yet but it will follow what I have been doing the last several years.In the larger fields that I double crop with summer legumes I will go with elbon rye 100 lbs/acre, radishes 2-3 lbs acre, maybe a few turnips and in some of the fields I will add crimson also.

For the clover fields I'll just drill 50 lbs/acre wheat. All the clover fields have plenty of chicory. I may 'sweeten' some clover fields that are thinning out with a little extra clover, mostly durana. Thought I might plant a little arrow leaf in one fields thats well drained .

Here is an experiment I'm trying. I cleaned a few acres up in a couple of strategic spots and planted straight radishes at 15/lbs acre late July. Unfortunately they have missed all the rains and its still really hot. Nonetheless I'm getting some germination and growth. Thought it might be interesting to see how attractive it is early season??????
Old 08-16-2018, 03:52 PM   #2192
elgato
Ten Point

OOOPs pic didn't post. Here you go
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2018, 03:58 PM   #2193
elgato
Ten Point

Farm living can be a bit rough sometimes. Was doing a cocktail safari with a friend yesterday and had a catastrophic failure where the wheel came off. I guess too many miles on rough ranch and farm roads. Mechanic said hub failed which put all the weight on the lugs which then sheered them I'm no mechanic but what I do know is wife and I had gone to the gym that morning driving 70 and I'm very happy the failure didn't happen then. There was no shimmy, vibration, wobble...nothing. The truck just dropped and the wheel rolled away .

Might be time for a new truck.Dang, it only has 130,000 miles on it.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2018, 04:05 PM   #2194
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tilden & Utopia

Yikes. That could of ended really badly. Glad nobody was hurt.
TildenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 04:18 PM   #2195
elgato
Ten Point

I suppose one deer photo is in order. 5 yr old
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2018, 04:26 PM   #2196
triple_duece
Four Point

Hunt In: Louisiana, Midwest

Rusty, have you done any of the planting on the river? What do you think works best there?
triple_duece is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 04:29 PM   #2197
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple_duece View Post
Rusty, have you done any of the planting on the river? What do you think works best there?
MS. River up in Tensas? The property manager up there plants essentially the same summer and winter mixes I use. With that terrific soil everything grows extremely well. Only problem is the annual flooding which can last months.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:38 PM   #2198
triple_duece
Four Point

Hunt In: Louisiana, Midwest

Quote:
MS. River up in Tensas? The property manager up there plants essentially the same summer and winter mixes I use. With that terrific soil everything grows extremely well. Only problem is the annual flooding which can last months.

Thanks for your reply. Yes Iím in tensas but outside the levee. I donít flood, and yes the soil is great just hard to deal with. Since I donít live there and get a chance to work it, usually itís dry as a bone and cracked deeply or like gumbo mud. Seems Iím never there when conditions are best.

So the real question since Iím limited on tractor usage is this. I used to plant but watch deer eating the native grasses over my plots. I have resorted to just cutting and reseeding in ladino clover. Last year my deer stayed out eating, almost like I was visiting a zoo. I plan on reseeding (broadcasting) without tilling. One thing that I did notice is that my clover was eaten down and the cold weather knocked it back also. So I just top seed winter wheat or elbon rye? Would tilling my plots be counter productive with the clover I have planted? Here is some pics from April. Keep in mind that Iím sure it doesnít look like this with the heat and not cutting during the summer (crp land). Usually have a good stand of Johnson grass and other grasses but my clover comes in good if I could cut it soon. Any advise is appreciated.
triple_duece is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 10:58 PM   #2199
bukkskin
Eight Point

Quote:
Farm living can be a bit rough sometimes. Was doing a cocktail safari with a friend yesterday and had a catastrophic failure where the wheel came off. I guess too many miles on rough ranch and farm roads. Mechanic said hub failed which put all the weight on the lugs which then sheered them I'm no mechanic but what I do know is wife and I had gone to the gym that morning driving 70 and I'm very happy the failure didn't happen then. There was no shimmy, vibration, wobble...nothing. The truck just dropped and the wheel rolled away .

Might be time for a new truck.Dang, it only has 130,000 miles on it.
Dang!!!! Yep, that could have been Bad!!!
Glad everyone is ok.
Still loving this thread.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:16 PM   #2200
elgato
Ten Point

Something for a Friday afternoon. Saw him last year when he only had one fork but was still noteworthy.
Attached Images