Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 07-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX
Default Planting trees and habitat improvement.

THis may end up being the slowest/longest DIY project in TBH history. We bought a little piece of land outside of town, and plan to build a home someday, but in the meantime I decided to start to improve the wildlife habitat. It is about 10 acres of overgrowth, 30 acres of cropland, 40 acres of pasture.
Name:  home1.JPG
Views: 6532
Size:  87.4 KB

MOst of this area has been converted to farm or cropland so the amount of cover is very limited, and most of the cover I do have is right beside the house. I decided to start planting some hardwoods, and since I'm in my 40s, the only one that made sence to me was the sawtooth oak. I placed my order and stated planting this spring with the help of the wife. I had bigger goals than what we ended up with, but I did get about 800 trees planted. I choose to start the planting by making a 40 yard boarder around the crop field and pasture.

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 6486
Size:  73.8 KB

It was a very wet spring, then went straight to HOT and DRY, but we did get about 800 in the ground. Keeping weeds out has been an issue, and still working on the best way to handle it. I've sprayed, tilled, and last time used a box blade. So far the blade seems to work best. NOtice soybeans are up, this was just a few days ago.

Before bladeing the area
Name:  4.jpg
Views: 6452
Size:  41.8 KB

After blading
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 6402
Size:  28.6 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 6401
Size:  45.3 KB

Watering has been another problem, but rigged up a barrel and waterpump to help. It is 55 gallon barrel, and takes about 600 gallons to water one time.
Name:  3.jpg
Views: 6404
Size:  45.1 KB
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 6373
Size:  59.4 KB

I'll try and keep the progress updated, but it will be a SLOW process! THe trees I planted in the pasture didn't fair too well. Most were either pulled up or stepped on by the cows and died. I'm going to have to rethink how I handle the cows. I'm either going to have to put up an inner electric fence or take them off. It is nice not to have to do any shreding, so I hate to take them off completly, but we'll see.

Last edited by BrianL; 07-14-2011 at 05:17 PM.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
GLM
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

http://www.qdma.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16
Read the above thread on the QDMA forum. I planted about 1,000 trees last spring and put most of them in plastic. The ones I did not put in plastic are dead due to the hot dry weather. I have only received about 3" of rain since February. I have been watering as often as I can but not enough to save the trees not planted in plastic. Believe me the plastic works - keeps weeds away and conserves water. I would highly recommend it.
GLM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
BrianL
Pope & Young

It didn't pull up a thread, just forum. What is the thread name? Thanks
Old 07-14-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
canny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston & Zavalla

make sure to put guards on them. when they get a little size to them they will be prime targets for bucks to rub, thus killing them.
canny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #5
BrianL
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin' G Ranch View Post
http://www.qdma.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16
Read the above thread on the QDMA forum. I planted about 1,000 trees last spring and put most of them in plastic. The ones I did not put in plastic are dead due to the hot dry weather. I have only received about 3" of rain since February. I have been watering as often as I can but not enough to save the trees not planted in plastic. Believe me the plastic works - keeps weeds away and conserves water. I would highly recommend it.
Found it and read, and read, and read. Looks like a great way, but I would need over 10000 feet of plasic, just for what I planted this year. may try and do some plastic 3' squares though. I need to do some more reading, but I wonder if I could cut a slit in plastic to slide around current trees?

I just realized I should have posted this under Game Management section.

Last edited by BrianL; 07-14-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:54 AM   #6
GLM
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33279

Sorry, here is the thread. I put 6' and 3' squares around mine. I planted the tree then cut a slit in the plastic to put it around the seedling. Remember to put 3 staples per side and a few around the trunk to hold it down.
I know it's a lot of work but it increases the chance of survival.

Last edited by GLM; 07-15-2011 at 08:07 AM.
GLM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2011, 07:58 AM   #7
hunt247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Saint Jo

have you thought about planting any wild plums or persimons?
hunt247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
BrianL
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt247 View Post
have you thought about planting any wild plums or persimons?
Yes, and I think persimons would do well in my area, but wanted to get these started first. I left an area in the corner that I wanted to plant some wild fruit trees.

I NEED RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2011, 09:22 PM   #9
Zoch'10
Four Point

Hunt In: Lee County

Don't we all? It's going to be tough hunting this year- dove, duck, and deer alike.
Zoch'10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
BrianL
Pope & Young

After another very wet spring, I had to spend a lot of time moving 3' weeds to find out what if any survived. Looks like I had about 75%+ survival. It took about 3 days of VERY sslow mowing to not mow them down by mistake. I waited to late to get my trees this year, and had planned to get 1000 more planted this year. These sawtooths are tough little trees to make thru the summer we had last year!
Old 04-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #11
down2hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freestone Co.

Got any pics? I'm looking forward to seeing the progress in 10 years. This is going to be a long DIY thread
down2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2012, 04:54 AM   #12
Stan R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison and Colorado County

Update what you have done.... pictures
Stan R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2012, 05:07 AM   #13
3Tzn1J
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

^^^^ This ^^^^

Been waitin for updates.
3Tzn1J is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #14
BrianL
Pope & Young

I should have taken some pics before I started, but will take some tonight. I have it shredded as low and close as possible, and think I am going to till the area up. It was easier to use the box blade to keep it clean. I think I will buy some milo to plant in between the 25' rows of trees to help with erosion. THe far north end was use for a food plot this winter and wheat and oats are 3-4' high. Looks like the hogs are starting to come in on the wheat, so need to get my gamecam back out to see what time of the day they are hitting it.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #15
perfectstorm
Pope & Young

If you join the arbour foundation you can get 10 trees for $10. My mom has bought memberships for everyone in our family-- living and dead 3 generations back! :-)
perfectstorm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #16
BrianL
Pope & Young

Took some pics last night and started tilling around them. Some that I thought where dead are coming up at base.
Attached Images

Last edited by BrianL; 04-26-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #17
BrianL
Pope & Young

Others look real good.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #18
BrianL
Pope & Young

Still have a lot of weeds to pull on many of them
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #19
BrianL
Pope & Young

Before I started tilling around them.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #20
unclefish
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX

Thats a nice project you have going there! Are you tilling to plant food plot strips in between the tree rows?
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #21
BrianL
Pope & Young

Tilling really because it is easier to deal with dirt than grass, however, I am thinking of putting about a 8' strip of milo down the middle between rows of trees. I have 4 rows heading north and south and 2 rows at far end of pic that go east and west. On the the rows that goe east and west, there where 4 but the two closest to the big tress died. I guess the root system of the big ones took too much of the moisture out of the soil on that end. SO I made that my food plot area. I'll post pic of my food plot this last winter.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #22
BrianL
Pope & Young

Pics of food plot from last fall.
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #23
BrianL
Pope & Young

Wow the ground is hard, tilling is slow, AND I HATE PULLING WEEDS!
Old 04-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #24
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

Awesome project. If you can leave some of the ground cover it will help retain moisture especially if it is native grasses. You might think about planting a few different kinds of trees this fall. Diversity is a healthy thing in nature.
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #25
BrianL
Pope & Young

I was supposed to get 400 pecan to mix in and 600 more sawtooth this spring, but didn't work out. They turned the coolers off before I had a chance to get them picked up.

I wondered if the ground cover would help or if the amount of water required for ground cover kind of even things out. It is a lot easier to keep clean with a box blade than mower.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #26
BrianL
Pope & Young

Looking better. Much diesel and time spent.
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #27
KHoes203
Ten Point

(see below post)

Last edited by KHoes203; 04-29-2012 at 12:13 AM.
KHoes203 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #28
KHoes203
Ten Point

Personally I would not till it. Tilling causes you to loose soil moister which you dont want. I would spray the weeds then sprig or get you some native grass seed and let mother nature do what it does. Just my .02
KHoes203 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #29
Billybird
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
THis may end up being the slowest/longest DIY project in TBH history. We bought a little piece of land outside of town, and plan to build a home someday, but in the meantime I decided to start to improve the wildlife habitat. It is about 10 acres of overgrowth, 30 acres of cropland, 40 acres of pasture.
Attachment 251445

MOst of this area has been converted to farm or cropland so the amount of cover is very limited, and most of the cover I do have is right beside the house. I decided to start planting some hardwoods, and since I'm in my 40s, the only one that made sence to me was the sawtooth oak. I placed my order and stated planting this spring with the help of the wife. I had bigger goals than what we ended up with, but I did get about 800 trees planted. I choose to start the planting by making a 40 yard boarder around the crop field and pasture.

Attachment 251451

It was a very wet spring, then went straight to HOT and DRY, but we did get about 800 in the ground. Keeping weeds out has been an issue, and still working on the best way to handle it. I've sprayed, tilled, and last time used a box blade. So far the blade seems to work best. NOtice soybeans are up, this was just a few days ago.

Before bladeing the area
Attachment 251449

After blading
Attachment 251446

Attachment 251450

Watering has been another problem, but rigged up a barrel and waterpump to help. It is 55 gallon barrel, and takes about 600 gallons to water one time.
Attachment 251448
Attachment 251447

I'll try and keep the progress updated, but it will be a SLOW process! THe trees I planted in the pasture didn't fair too well. Most were either pulled up or stepped on by the cows and died. I'm going to have to rethink how I handle the cows. I'm either going to have to put up an inner electric fence or take them off. It is nice not to have to do any shreding, so I hate to take them off completly, but we'll see.
Please tell me what is your final goal for your project?
Billybird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #30
BrianL
Pope & Young

Quote:
Personally I would not till it. Tilling causes you to loose soil moister which you dont want. I would spray the weeds then sprig or get you some native grass seed and let mother nature do what it does. Just my .02
I agree to a point, but the grass I had was taller than the trees. Bermuda is so Dang expensive. Going to try to figure out the ground cover thing. May try shredded paper and plastic. But your right about it drying out faster.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #31
BrianL
Pope & Young

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL

Before bladeing the area

After blading

Please tell me what is your final goal for your project?
Increase cover and food sources. That field is about 35 acres, and debating on planting the whole field in sawtooth and pecan. It will be an on going project. Wish I had started 5 years ago when we first bought the place. Still want to build a pond for fishing and duck hunting, but that may be a few more years.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #32
BrianL
Pope & Young

Going to try this to help keep moisture in, and its free. Shredded paper
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2012, 01:17 AM   #33
Signcutter336
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Texas, Maverick County

Did the shredded paper work????
Signcutter336 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #34
G-Man
Spike

Hunt In: Blackwell, TX

Cool Project! I have always wanted my own little piece of land to work with/on. I have been doing mad research on my pipe dream and thought I'd share something I had found. Cool little read. Everything is some ones opinion but I found this info interesting. Good luck with everything and keep us posted!!
http://www.realtreenursery.com/Why-Food-Plots.html
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #35
BrianL
Pope & Young

we have got a good amount of rain, so I haven't been down to check on it since I put it out. Should be able to go down tonight our tomorrow to see if it is still there. Noticed the girls in the office where shredding today, so should have a few more bags to put out this week.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #36
BrianL
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
Cool Project! I have always wanted my own little piece of land to work with/on. I have been doing mad research on my pipe dream and thought I'd share something I had found. Cool little read. Everything is some ones opinion but I found this info interesting. Good luck with everything and keep us posted!!
http://www.realtreenursery.com/Why-Food-Plots.html
I'm embarrassed to say I never knew those were chestnuts I saw on the ground growing up. I always called them buckeyes. I may plant a few of those to see how every do.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #37
head
Ten Point

Quote:
I agree to a point, but the grass I had was taller than the trees. Bermuda is so Dang expensive. Going to try to figure out the ground cover thing. May try shredded paper and plastic. But your right about it drying out faster.
a friend that goes to church with me bales pine straw, just like hay, for landscapers up north and west as an alternative to mulch. may be worth looking into. I bet you could get a bunch of folks' pine straw for a little raking... lol
head is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #38
G-Man
Spike

Hunt In: Blackwell, TX

Quote:
I'm embarrassed to say I never knew those were chestnuts I saw on the ground growing up. I always called them buckeyes. I may plant a few of those to see how every do.
I'm not going to lie either, that's what I called them also. I had stumbled on that read by mistake. I thought it was cool about that they say that animals that eat them taste sweeter and less gamey.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #39
BrianL
Pope & Young

edit

Last edited by BrianL; 06-22-2012 at 10:13 AM. Reason: fixing pictures.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #40
BrianL
Pope & Young

Well things are looking pretty good. We have had enough rain to keep everything green, and so far no additional watering has been need this year. The shredded paper has worked somewhat, but not sure if it is really worth the effort. Trees with and without look about the same.

I decided to plant summer plots that would also help with erosion control, and so far it has been effective. I planted milo between one role of trees, sunflowers between one, and sunflower/milo mix between the other.

Milo was the first thing I planted. After finding out that REAL seed is $179.00 per bag, I made a trip to the feed store for a sack of whole feed milo. Not sure if it will head out as well, but for $12 a sack I thought I would give it a try.

Neighbors cows got out and really enjoyed this strip. They walked through 100 acers of soybeans to eat on my little strip of milo.....
Name:  20120621_185454.jpg
Views: 4909
Size:  98.7 KB

You can still tell where the wheat and oats were planted last fall on the left side. Dove and hogs have been hittting it hard till the last heavy rain.
Name:  20120621_185952.jpg
Views: 4915
Size:  123.2 KB

Since milo feed seemed to at least come up, I decided to give sunflowers a try. Inspired by the WWA thread. I didn't even check what real sunflower seed cost, but a 40# bag of blackoil sunflower seed for birds is $22. After planting, June 1st, we had about 2-3 weeks of dry weather. Finally got a rain last Saturday, and look what popped out. They are 90 days to maturity, so looks like mid September.

Name:  20120621_185523.jpg
Views: 4923
Size:  162.4 KB

Sunflower plot is about 15 feet wide and about 1000 yards long. You can see it on the left side of the top picture. Goes to the end, then turns back to the right along that far tree line.

I had a little of both left over, so I mixed them together and planted my thrid row yesterday afternoon. This is where I had wheat planted last year.
Attached Images

Last edited by BrianL; 06-22-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #41
3Tzn1J
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

You got any recent sawtooth pics??? I bought 25 barefoot seedlings and put them all in pots till I could get up to plant them. So far, of the 8 that I planted in the ground only 1 has died the others are looking good.
3Tzn1J is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #42
BrianL
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Tzn1J View Post
You got any recent sawtooth pics??? I bought 25 barefoot seedlings and put them all in pots till I could get up to plant them. So far, of the 8 that I planted in the ground only 1 has died the others are looking good.
I'll try and take some tonight. I have 4 rows heading north and south(top pic)
and had 4 running east and west(2nd pic). The trees going N and S are doing Great. Maybe lost 5-10 trees. The ones going east and west are having a hard time. Not nearly as much growth. Several have come back out from roots that I thought had died last year. The whole row next to the larger trees died. About 70% of the second row out made it. Row 3 and 4 are better, but still not the same growth as the others planted N and S.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #43
BrianL
Pope & Young

One pic
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #44
BrianL
Pope & Young

Two
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #45
BrianL
Pope & Young

The trees going east and west are much smaller
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #46
BrianL
Pope & Young

Average size.
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #47
BrianL
Pope & Young

Sunflowers are coming along, and hope we get a little rain next week.
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #48
BrianL
Pope & Young

Milo looks good.
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #49
dadogg
Pope & Young

Cool Thread keep us posted
dadogg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #50
BrianL
Pope & Young

I finally found a use for the worthless mosquito trap. Work great as a game came stand.
Attached Images