Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 12-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
PigskinDave
Four Point

Hunt In: Public land
Default Hogs at Lake Grapevine

Anyone have any tips for dropping a hog at Grapevine? I've quite a bit of sign in the area I've been hunting and have been there at all hours of the day but have yet to see one.

Any nugget of wisdom will be greatly appreciated by this noob hunter Thanks in advance.
PigskinDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2010, 09:59 PM   #2
Budman68
Ten Point

I personally haven't seen a hog out there. Pretty sure they only move at night. I would bet you could nail one at night by the river.
Budman68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
PigskinDave
Four Point

Hunt In: Public land

is it legal to hunt there at night? I've looked at all the rule I can find and don't see anything saying you can't
PigskinDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
Budman68
Ten Point

I don't think pigs are regulated by the TPW. I would make sure you have your Corps permit and a hunting license with you. Couldn't hurt to call the game warden and ask.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:02 PM   #5
Brushpopper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Good ?
Brushpopper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
bulldurham
Four Point

Hunt In: public land for now

just called it is legal to hog hunt at night in case ya need it heres the# 817-865-2600
green area and hog only area is archery only for deer and hogs. Small game can be taken with shotgun with no larger than #3 shot.
bulldurham is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #7
philafal
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hamilton/Athens

Didnt they do a drawing this year for a corp permit?
philafal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
bulldurham
Four Point

Hunt In: public land for now

yes they did a lottery drawing for deer only. you should be able to get a general permit for hogs all year round. The permits say only after deer season only but is a misprint. It is good for all year long. or thats what i was told
bulldurham is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #9
xfalcon
Four Point

Can you Bait @ Grapevine?
xfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2010, 07:52 PM   #10
Brushpopper
Ten Point

NO, but some people do any way.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #11
GhostSkull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas n Oklahoma

Exactly how are you gonna hunt hogs at night without baiting? Sounds like some pretty tough hunting!
GhostSkull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2010, 10:31 PM   #12
jwiggins
Four Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton County

I do not know who told you that it was OK to hunt on Corp land at night. Direct from the outdoor annual:

Non-protected nongame animals and fur-bearing animals may be hunted at night with the aid of an artificial light on private property. If hunting at night, please make a courtesy telephone call to your local game warden.

Looks like poaching in black and white to me.
jwiggins is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #13
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young

You do know that COE, USFS and TPWD can circumvent certain regulations. If the COE says it is ok to hunt at night, then it is ok.
bowhuntntxn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2010, 08:39 AM   #14
Budman68
Ten Point

There was an article on the front page of the Wall Street Journel about the problems Southlake is having with the hogs. From the trails I've seen and the damage they do to lawns out there, I would bet they would allow just about anything to remove them.

Can't hurt to ask.

Last edited by Budman68; 12-21-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #15
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman68 View Post
There was an article on the front page of the Wall Street Journel about the problems Southlake is having with the hogs. From the trails I've seen and the damage they do to lawns out there, I would bet they would allow just about anything to remove them.

Can't hurt to ask.
Those COE folks in the office aren't exactly the best folks to ask for legal info. What ever you find out, make sure you see it in writing somewhere.
ShockValue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2010, 09:48 AM   #16
ttujason02
Four Point

Hunt In: Denton, Fannin, Floyd & Brisco Co's

Spent about 3 hours scouting the new north area, didn't see hardly any hog sign, I did spook a nice doe down near the lake. There are animal trails all over the place down in the bottom so I bet the rain washed most of the sign away. The area sure does need a good cleaning, there is trash everywhere, also came across what might have been a meth lab or a homeless shelter but not sure, large black tarp and a old tent with lots of spray cans and water bottles, got a little nervous without any protection.
ttujason02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #17
Brushpopper
Ten Point

Thumbs up

FYI they also told me you can hunt hogs year round on the brown or the green areas until Aug.31 2010 then you need new permit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldurham View Post
just called it is legal to hog hunt at night in case ya need it heres the# 817-865-2600
green area and hog only area is archery only for deer and hogs. Small game can be taken with shotgun with no larger than #3 shot.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:31 PM   #18
gmashewske
Nubbin' Buck

The pigs are bad around here i live in trophy club. They even tear up the side of 114 it looks like it has been plowed up in places. Anybody want to hunt grapevine . I would love to go just not safe to go there by yourself at night. Let me know.
gmashewske is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2011, 07:07 AM   #19
SILENT KILLER
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: concho

I'm game shewske, been scouting out there for a couple weeks now, have a few areas I would like to try at night. Like you havent had the huevos to go it alone at night. Set up a game cam last week, going to check it out over the weekend. If it hasn't been stolen..lol. Have you seen much activity where you have been scouting?
SILENT KILLER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2011, 08:41 AM   #20
Outlaw442
Six Point

Hunt In: public land and back yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman68 View Post

Can't hurt to ask.
I have asked. they said taking of hogs is confined to CofE property only, even with archery. I asked about trapping and was told they have hired professionals to handle that. My Uncle is a city official in Trophy Club (adjacent to Southlake for the out of towners) and said they have the pig problem just as bad and the city manager even has to hunt on Corp land. He's a hunter and wanted to take care of the pigs on his land and cannot.
Outlaw442 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2011, 04:58 PM   #21
tmac4468
Spike

Hunt In: Memphis, Taft, TX, Des Arc, AR & the U.P.

Is there a restriction on hunting on private land with a bow in certain communities? I know there a numerous laws against discharging firearms within city/town limits, but are there ones against bows as well?
tmac4468 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #22
jwiggins
Four Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton County

You need to refer to the specific city's ordinance on hunting and that will answer your question.
jwiggins is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #23
wlgorman
Eight Point

Hey guys, this is my first post but I have been a periodic lurker for over 2 years. I have bowhunted at least a few times a year since I was 17 (now 25) but never gotten the chance to let one loose. I live in The Colony now. Do alot of waterfowl hunting and fishing in the area. I do alot of exploring in the woods and have gotten a knowledge of the lakes and whatnot. If anyone wants to pair up let me know. We can get in to some hard to reach places by boat. I dont have a pop up or climber (broke my pop up 2 yrs ago), so thats the only thing I ask is that you have one I can use when we go. If anyone is interested let me know. I have my generals for Lavon, Lewisville and Grapevine and im ready to put in some work.
wlgorman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #24
7point
Six Point

Hunt In: lbj

hey. im up for some scouting or hunting myself. Grapevine. Lavon. I have not been out there. but im ready. thinking about cooper too but have to have aph permit. Shot hogs at cooper before. at one time cooper was half dried up due to a derought. it made for great hog hunting. you could see for a good ways on the flats. now the lake is up and most areas around cooper are thick as heck. hunt mostly lbj but lookin.
7point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #25
imyomama
Ten Point

hum.. I have some thermal and night vision gear (they are both weapon sights but I can sure use them without a gun as well ).... I wouldn't mind tagging along to do some spotting! sorry , can't let anybody just borrow them.. just too much $$ invested.

I was actually thinking of setting the thermal on a tripod on a boat and use the video port to a monitor (got a 7" battery powered monitor that would work perfect for that ).. I could scout a big area quick!
imyomama is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2011, 08:13 AM   #26
basscast
Eight Point

Hunt In: whitney , pat mayse, cooper
Default Trapping hogs @ Grapevine

Hey guys i work @ Cabelas and we had the Grapevine A.C.O.E in on Sat. for our great outdoor days, they told me they are thinking of doing a draw for approx. 10 permits to TRAP hogs but weren't sure of the interest. Just thought i would throw this out there, post up if you are interested (unfortunately i don't own a hog trap)
basscast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2011, 03:22 PM   #27
Meatatarian
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILENT KILLER View Post
I'm game shewske, been scouting out there for a couple weeks now, have a few areas I would like to try at night. Like you havent had the huevos to go it alone at night. Set up a game cam last week, going to check it out over the weekend. If it hasn't been stolen..lol. Have you seen much activity where you have been scouting?
Don't leave your trail camera out. Trust me, I made that mistake thinking we are all good people out there, and some JACKWAGON stole mine out there in december I think it was, and is ruining it for all of us.
Meatatarian is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #28
cshall999
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavon...any place I am invited.

I have had 2 TC's stolen around Lavon. One was about 100 yards from my mom and dads house just off of the lake. I don't buy expensive cameras any more...well I don't buy any cameras any more because I am tired of them being stolen.
cshall999 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #29
nutterbug
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker County

people with steal anything, went to the lease this weekend and all the timers were gone from 3 feeders! grrrrr!
nutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2011, 12:06 AM   #30
DeerHunter404
Four Point

Hunt In: Terrell County,TX / Pulaski County AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILENT KILLER View Post
Hello SILENT KILLER its gmashewske changed my profile and added pic. Would still like to check out grapevine i would.I stay here in Trophy Club. Holler at me and we can check the place out.
DeerHunter404 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2011, 12:19 AM   #31
griffbowhunter
Ten Point

you can use hog boom it work real good.B-day Cake.
griffbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #32
DeerHunter404
Four Point

Can you bait hogs on corp land. any feed back would be great.

Thank You
Old 03-16-2011, 02:21 PM   #33
imyomama
Ten Point

nop.. pretty sure no bait allowed of any kind .. i'd call them to be sure .. maybe they'll make exceptions to get rid of hogs ...
imyomama is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #34
DeerHunter404
Four Point

Cool thanks for the info . I,ll check with them.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:42 AM   #35
BowTechAssassin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I get the chance to go.

I've hunted there and killed one near the pecan grove in the middle of the main pasture. The areas nearest the river show lots of sign, but it's a looooong walk back there from the east side of 377. I've found lots of sign on the Corp land near I35W, but never saw a hog, just lots and lots of sign.
BowTechAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #36
Dajar Dan
Spike

Hunt In: CINNAMON CREEK RANCH
Default corp land

if anyones headed to grapevine or near 377 please let me know ive never been there because i wasnt sure exactly where it was legal but would love to go. ive got my permits and everything i need i just need to get with someone that is familiar with the area. so if your headed out to scout for hogs please let me know.
Dajar Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2011, 09:40 PM   #37
DeerHunter404
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetsuit View Post
if anyones headed to grapevine or near 377 please let me know ive never been there because i wasnt sure exactly where it was legal but would love to go. ive got my permits and everything i need i just need to get with someone that is familiar with the area. so if your headed out to scout for hogs please let me know.
Hey wetsuit i dont know grapevine only been over there and walked around a couple of times.But am willing 2 put in the foot work to learn the place if you would like 2 go check it out. I live here in Trophy Club.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:13 AM   #38
TX_speedpro
Four Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can
Default Night hunting for hogs

Anyone know the rules on hunting at night for hogs? Anyone have Any luck so far this year out at Gvine?
This is my first yr to hunt been for a walk and looked around from the boat. Seen some signs just no pigs.
TX_speedpro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #39
Brushpopper
Ten Point

You mite call the Lake office and ask. I think you can but there are some rules.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #40
DeerHunter404
Four Point

Yes you can hunt pigs over there at night. Just a good idea to call the local game warden and let him know you will be there. He is a real nice guy.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:34 PM   #41
Brushpopper
Ten Point

well has anyone been hog hunting lately
Old 04-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #42
Brushpopper
Ten Point

How about Turkey hunting any luck.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:28 AM   #43
gmashewske
Nubbin' Buck

Anybody want to hunt hogs at grapevine off 35w let me know.
gmashewske is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2011, 02:13 AM   #44
NthTxWolverine
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmashewske View Post
Anybody want to hunt hogs at grapevine off 35w let me know.
I'm down. Kinda new so would love to go out with someone more experienced. Hit me up. I live in Grapevine, about 10 minutes from Meadowmere on the south east end.
NthTxWolverine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #45
Signel
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: all of the above.

When do the new permits go live? I'd like to take a crack at GV. I also want to try NW lewisville lake near the new bridge they put in (2499 up to 2181).

I am not sure if they will keep this as public hunting land with the new road though.
Signel is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #46
Brushpopper
Ten Point

ttt
Old 02-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #47
wheresthepork
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: grapevine Lewisvill,LBJ, all over

I got trapping permit for Grapevine. My area is on the northside off durham all way to the river. Traps go in on 15 of Feb. Anyone wanna hog. They will be dead of course. Corps requires them to be dispatched before leaving land. Give me a call. 214-772-5087: all traps will be full. Found lots of hog sign and a stand next to river that was left in tree. Hope ranger don't find it.haha
wheresthepork is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #48
Philip-TX
Ten Point

How do you trap if you can't use bait?
Philip-TX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #49
wheresthepork
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: grapevine Lewisvill,LBJ, all over

We are allowed to use bai t in our traps. There are only 5 permit holders for the trapping at grapevine lake. There was a drawing for the permits back in Oct. We are allowed 2 traps per person. Also to take note. Any hunter found or caught hunting within area of trap can be fined. This falls. under the hunting with bait. This is the first time the lake has given these permits. If all goes well, there will be many more.
wheresthepork is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #50
pressure75
Spike

Hunt In: Granger

is the lake open for hunting anywhere
pressure75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top