Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-10-2018, 09:06 PM   #1
Triple 7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches
Default Feeder or no feeder

To all of the East Texas hunters. I got on a new lease here in Nacogdoches. I have never had much luck with a feeder in east Texas. I am thinking about just hand Corning when I go out there. I am gonna do a food plot and a pile of rice bran. Am I making a mistake not using a feeder?
Triple 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2018, 09:10 PM   #2
bryan sandlin
Ten Point

Hunt In: old u.s.m.c. camys

you will get a lot of wildlife if you set up a feeder. well worth it.
bryan sandlin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2018, 09:14 PM   #3
kruppa24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Concho

I would put up a feeder and hand corn away from it. This way you hold deer in the area all the time.
kruppa24 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2018, 09:19 PM   #4
txhunter007
Six Point

Use a feeder
txhunter007 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2018, 09:20 PM   #5
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

Early season, best bet is fine the food source. Find that right oak tree and you won't even think about a feeder.
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2018, 09:23 PM   #6
Low Fence
Pope & Young

You ain’t missing anything but hogs and coons. I now only run one away from where I hunt. It’s there for hogs only. It’s like a “pay off” and seems to be working. Give them their area and they seem to leave my plots alone and I can hand corn when needed and deer seem to get 99% vs 2% at feeder.... and those are doe fawn and sub 2.5 bucks

My EAST TEXAS deer hunting has improved 100x since leaving the feeders. It’s honestly the best thing I’ve done. I still hunt corn on occasion but it’s hand corn or food plots if I’m hunting a food source

Last edited by Low Fence; 08-10-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2018, 09:33 PM   #7
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
You ain’t missing anything but hogs and coons. I now only run one away from where I hunt. It’s there for hogs only. It’s like a “pay off” and seems to be working. Give them their area and they seem to leave my plots alone and I can hand corn when needed and deer seem to get 99% vs 2% at feeder.... and those are doe fawn and sub 2.5 bucks

My EAST TEXAS deer hunting has improved 100x since leaving the feeders. It’s honestly the best thing I’ve done. I still hunt corn on occasion but it’s hand corn or food plots if I’m hunting a food source
I'm with this, but most of my hunting is an hour away and I just can't make that happen three days a week. Best I could do to thwart the hogs is fence mine. Hogs hardly ever come around them now.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2018, 09:40 PM   #8
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

Never ran them really. I’ve always focused more on natural deer movement through certain areas. However, this year we are trying a different tactic with protein feeders feeding corn in pens. We won’t hunt them, but they will be there to possibly hold deer in the area and create movement throughout the property. We’ll see how that tactic works out this year.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2018, 09:42 PM   #9
Native Texan
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqiggy View Post
Early season, best bet is fine the food source. Find that right oak tree and you won't even think about a feeder.
Yep. I'm on a lease with 13 guys that have fallen into the feeder rut. I hunt mostly white oaks and see more deer in one sit than the 13 others combined see all weekend.

Still have a feeder up for hogs and late season does.
Native Texan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2018, 09:43 PM   #10
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Jack/Coleman/Henderson

Hand corn hand corn hand corn! I have feeders just for a little extra something on the place to hold deer. They do get hit but mature bucks stay back. Pour hand corn and every deer I have hits it. If your hunting over the spot then no feeder IMO.
Antlers86 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2018, 09:47 PM   #11
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

I like to use a feeder the deer can't see. What I mean is a 6.5 gallon bucket pulled up in a tree with a long rope. I throw a line over a limb, and pull the feeder up about 20'. I set it to throw 2-3 seconds only, and only in the morning. This helps keeps the hogs away. Deer will find it, and usually have the corn cleaned up before dark. The feeder will last about 10 days or so before running out. This will keep deer close by. You can hand corn also when you are actually hunting. I have had a lot of success with this set up. Bucks will feed under it that normally won't go near a feeder. I also do good just hunting game trails between food sources and bedding areas. I will hand corn those places just to get the deer to stop. It takes time and scouting to find spots like that. If you just got on the lease then I would suggest a feeder high up, and out of sight. Learn the lease and pattern the deer to ambush them next season.
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2018, 09:48 PM   #12
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Hand corn is all you need.
I go to my in laws place 1200 acres just outside Nac 1 or 2 weekends a year. They don't have feeders and I don't use feeders. We hand corn and have plenty of targets to choose from.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2018, 09:52 PM   #13
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

This guy was a regular visitor last season under my bucket feeder. If you do it right they will never know it's there.

The bucket is doing the hand corning when you're not there!

Last edited by AntlerCollector; 08-10-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:53 PM   #14
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

I have hunted East Texas my whole life. I have never killed a good deer under a feeder in East TX.
I am a firm believer in hand corn.
However, I do still have feeders. I just don’t hunt over them. I use it more to keep the doe around.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2018, 10:31 PM   #15
SwineAssassiN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastrop co. Brazoria co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
This guy was a regular visitor last season under my bucket feeder. If you do it right they will never know it's there.

The bucket is doing the hand corning when you're not there!
Yessir Iím with you on this. Iíve found using a bucket feeder 12ft up on a tree limb really works good for bucks. They donít even know itís there. Iíve been doing this for 6 years now.
SwineAssassiN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2018, 10:46 PM   #16
texasdeerhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi513 View Post
I have hunted East Texas my whole life. I have never killed a good deer under a feeder in East TX.
I am a firm believer in hand corn.
However, I do still have feeders. I just donít hunt over them. I use it more to keep the doe around.
I was basically going to type the same thing he said. Feeders are ok and I use them...but I hand corn the spots I really expect to kill bucks. However, Iím fortunate that I can be at either of my leases within 20 mins and can hand corn any day of the week
texasdeerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2018, 11:03 PM   #17
futureagg
Six Point

Hunt In: Deep East Tx

Following along.

We have seen this as well in Cherokee and Houston County. Hand corn a spot 100 yards away and have pics of really good bucks at the hand corn, and not a single buck at the feeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
futureagg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 02:19 AM   #18
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

Been hunting east Tx all my life (40+ yrs) and have only seen one mature buck under a feeder. Think that was in the drought years when we didn't have a acorn crop 2 yrs in a row. Hand corn works good, but still, can't beat the acorns that they will go to first.
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 06:17 AM   #19
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

We shoot all our mature deer under feeders.
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 08:04 AM   #20
Triple 7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches

I have hunted in Nacogdoches for almost 20 years. It’s always been over a feeder though. Last year I had a bad year. I didn’t see a single legal deer all season. However, there was another guy on the lease that had two setups that I had to drive by on my way out. All he did was a foodplot. Almost every time I drive by he had deer eating out in his food plot. I spun corn and had nothing. That’s why I’m thinking about going without.
Triple 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 08:09 AM   #21
EastTexasMan
Ten Point

Hunt In: A pop up Blind in East Texas

I hunt hand corn and acorns. Feeder is elsewhere to distract the hogs

EastTexasMan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 08:51 AM   #22
sambo73
Pope & Young

Hunt In: van zandt cty

I was going to post a similar question this morning. I think I am going to run a couple feeders just to keep the deer there and hope to keep pigs away from hand corn. I am hunting maybe 50ac.

Do you think the it's the sight of the feeder or the sound that keeps the mature deer away?
sambo73 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 09:52 AM   #23
CSanders
Ten Point

Hunt In: Palestine

I’m not trying to hijack your thread but you guys that have hand corn spots, how are you hunting them? Pop ups or in a ladder stand/lock on?? I have a spot I want to hand corn this year but don’t have a decent tree to put a lock on in.
CSanders is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 10:00 AM   #24
CSanders
Ten Point

Hunt In: Palestine

Elk love this hand corn spot, just not when Iím there. They only seem to show up 3 or so days after Iíve hand corned the spot. Iíve only had a few pictures of the cow at a feeder one time.
Attached Images

CSanders is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #25
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
I'm with this, but most of my hunting is an hour away and I just can't make that happen three days a week. Best I could do to thwart the hogs is fence mine. Hogs hardly ever come around them now.
I should have added that I grow food plots everywhere I hunt. That's where I generally kill deer unless it's a doe. All of my feeders are 150/200 yards from a blind. That's rifle hunting only. I have a bow blind on my home place with a feeder and one in Trinity Co. with a feeder. All the rest have food plots also. That's where I see most of the deer.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 10:07 AM   #26
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marsh / Central Tx

Feeders are worthless in east texas
eastxhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 10:12 AM   #27
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo73 View Post
I was going to post a similar question this morning. I think I am going to run a couple feeders just to keep the deer there and hope to keep pigs away from hand corn. I am hunting maybe 50ac.

Do you think the it's the sight of the feeder or the sound that keeps the mature deer away?
The fact that deer get mugged at them plus they are (mostly) a constant traffic of hunting, filling, trail camera checking scent bombs is what keeps them away. Basically, they know they are being hunted and they learn to avoid them to survive.

Here my tactic most of the time:

Start hand corn now- find bucks, determine if there one in area I want to hunt (depending on your goals this could be easy or hard)

Stop feeding- if they are there, they are there. All contributed feeding will do is educate them and draw non target animals

Move cameras to find travel

Once you find a consistent trail, move again and try to find bedding.

LEAVE THEM ALONE

Hunt- hand corn when wind is right as close as you can to bedding along trail that is best for my approach and retreat

Some areas the deer are born looking for feeders, East Texas is different they are born knowing there is a hunter in charge of that devise. Due to decades of sloppy usage and hunting tactics. Most donít have the land for multiple set ups and winds .... so we hunt when we can. Opening day, 89 degrees, wrong wind... Iím going hunting!! Years of that has trained them to be nocturnal or just avoid ( just my opinion)
Old 08-11-2018, 10:14 AM   #28
sambo73
Pope & Young

Hunt In: van zandt cty

Quote:
The fact that deer get mugged at them plus they are (mostly) a constant traffic of hunting, filling, trail camera checking scent bombs is what keeps them away. Basically, they know they are being hunted and they learn to avoid them to survive.

Here my tactic most of the time:

Start hand corn now- find bucks, determine if there one in area I want to hunt (depending on your goals this could be easy or hard)

Stop feeding- if they are there, they are there. All contributed feeding will do is educate them and draw non target animals

Move cameras to find travel

Once you find a consistent trail, move again and try to find bedding.

LEAVE THEM ALONE

Hunt- hand corn when wind is right as close as you can to bedding along trail that is best for my approach and retreat

Some areas the deer are born looking for feeders, East Texas is different they are born knowing there is a hunter in charge of that devise. Due to decades of sloppy usage and hunting tactics. Most donít have the land for multiple set ups and winds .... so we hunt when we can. Opening day, 89 degrees, wrong wind... Iím going hunting!! Years of that has trained them to be nocturnal or just avoid ( just my opinion)
makes sense
sambo73 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 10:24 AM   #29
HoustonR6ryda
Ten Point

Hunt In: the woods

I hunt the trails in Leon Co. It has been good all my 40+years of hunting. I worry if my feeder will walk away in East Tx- I have considered food plots,but cousin has cattle. Camera's on the trails and pay close attention to the wind,IMO.
HoustonR6ryda is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 12:03 PM   #30
xman59
Pope & Young

feeders do work and some of them very well,, however some spots deer do not respond to feeders

the best scenario in east texas is mature white oaks, surrounded by thickets,
a feeder within site and a well hidden stand on it,,, within the same area hand corn but not within about 75 yards of the feeder, before you place the stand figure your most common wind direction and sun angles,, hunt the hand corn
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 12:16 PM   #31
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastxhunter View Post
Feeders are worthless in east texas

It can be if you're doing it wrong. I've got about 100 dead deer that will say different. Like I said in my post. The way I use a feeder is like hand corning, but I don't have to be out there all the time to keep deer close.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:20 PM   #32
Low Fence
Pope & Young

If you have killed 100 deer in east Texas at a feeder then yes you have something working and I wouldn’t change it. In past 10 years I don’t have 100 pics of deer at feeders, but I may be doing it wrong or hunting a different animal all together. But if it works keep at it
Old 08-11-2018, 12:27 PM   #33
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
If you have killed 100 deer in east Texas at a feeder then yes you have something working and I wouldnít change it. In past 10 years I donít have 100 pics of deer at feeders, but I may be doing it wrong or hunting a different animal all together. But if it works keep at it

The key is that the deer don't know they are at a feeder. It's the same thing as hand corn, but I'm not leaving my scent out there hand corning
Old 08-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #34
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Going and refill small bucket every 10 days in my area would be the same amount of traffic... but my property might not be the same to navigate in and out of as yours
Old 08-11-2018, 01:05 PM   #35
justindiehl7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Woodville, TX

Good thread, keep it coming!

justindiehl7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #36
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Motley, Cottle, Tyler, Jasper counties

Quote:
The key is that the deer don't know they are at a feeder. It's the same thing as hand corn, but I'm not leaving my scent out there hand corning
Quote:
If you have killed 100 deer in east Texas at a feeder then yes you have something working and I wouldnít change it. In past 10 years I donít have 100 pics of deer at feeders, but I may be doing it wrong or hunting a different animal all together. But if it works keep at it
I have been back hunting east Texas since 2014 now. Jasper/Buna/Colmesneil area. The Buna property has different activity at feeders than the Colmesneil area. I have been trying to devise a good stand and fill feeder with a directional unit on it to try to hide the feeder and get corn out regularly. I have also looked into the ďghost feederĒ or whatever itís called and try to hang a feeder high and out of sight without sound of a feeder either. I think feeders work in east Texas, but they have to not be obvious, for the most part, and you have to not be obvious yourself. I have pictures of good deer at a feeder but briefly, not regular. You compete with rut and acorns and a feeder is not a place to put all your eggs in one basket. I have the land available to find the routes and bedding areas but donít have the time. So I hang 1-2 ladder stands and hand corn those spots and have decent deer traffic. Better than my feeder traffic. I have the same 4-5 does that stay at the feeder area.
BBReezen is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 01:27 PM   #37
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Agreed, BBReezen

I do have one directionally feeder that I set up last year near a pop up blind. I had a few decent bucks, and several does visit. The older bucks never showed. It's still a better alternative that setting up a barrel feeder and thinking a shooter buck will feed under it. They do sometimes, but most East Texas bucks avoid feeders.

Last edited by AntlerCollector; 08-11-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:37 PM   #38
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Here's a couple more pics of deer under my bucket feeder from last season.

Of course there is always an exception to the rule I actually had a 161" buck at my feeder last season. 99.9% of the time that won't happen in East Texas

Old 08-11-2018, 01:40 PM   #39
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

I live right by my lease so filling the feeder every 10 days is easy for me. I have a buddy that uses a 30 gallon feeder and winch attached to a tree. He is still able to get the feeder up and out of sight that way. To do that you need a good enough tree to support it, and a sucker willing to climb it and attach a pulley

His feeder is hanging from a big oak that produces acorns. It has worked well for him.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:49 PM   #40
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

One more thing OP, if you haven't already, check out this thread.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...r+easy+pattern
Old 08-11-2018, 02:15 PM   #41
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
I live right by my lease so filling the feeder every 10 days is easy for me. I have a buddy that uses a 30 gallon feeder and winch attached to a tree. He is still able to get the feeder up and out of sight that way. To do that you need a good enough tree to support it, and a sucker willing to climb it and attach a pulley

His feeder is hanging from a big oak that produces acorns. It has worked well for him.
You have hogs? I live 70 yards from property so access is easy fo me. If I feed regular at same place more than 4 days hogs. Guaranteed 100% hogs. So by not drawing them to my ďdeerĒ set ups I can hunt the places they want to be naturally and add corn when Iím there to stop them or draw them into a shooting lane. Every area is so different from the pine cone deer to the hardwood deer. That is generally due to acreage. Central east is typically bigger land than northern east, with exception to red river area
Old 08-11-2018, 07:44 PM   #42
Grndchecker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX

I have two feeders, but I have a short fence around them to keep the pigs out. I have ladder stands at least 100 yards away. In 5 years of having the fence around the feeders, I have a picture of ONE small buck inside the fence. Plenty of does, but no bucks get inside the fence besides one.
Grndchecker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 09:19 PM   #43
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grndchecker View Post
I have two feeders, but I have a short fence around them to keep the pigs out. I have ladder stands at least 100 yards away. In 5 years of having the fence around the feeders, I have a picture of ONE small buck inside the fence. Plenty of does, but no bucks get inside the fence besides one.
Iíd believe it. I put a 10 panel short hog panel around a feeder that was ALL deer that the pigs had taken over..... 6 months ZERO deer. Took off 2 panels, 4 hours hogs back
Old 08-11-2018, 10:23 PM   #44
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
You have hogs? I live 70 yards from property so access is easy fo me. If I feed regular at same place more than 4 days hogs. Guaranteed 100% hogs. So by not drawing them to my ďdeerĒ set ups I can hunt the places they want to be naturally and add corn when Iím there to stop them or draw them into a shooting lane. Every area is so different from the pine cone deer to the hardwood deer. That is generally due to acreage. Central east is typically bigger land than northern east, with exception to red river area
Yes I have hogs. I let the feeder throw a few seconds in the mornings only. This helps a lot with hogs finding it. Also if I do get hogs coming in to my bow set up I will try to hunt them asap. I have killed a couple at that spot in the pics I posted, but they typically are at other hunters set ups eating corn all night at their feeders
Old 08-11-2018, 10:47 PM   #45
ArcheryAssassin
Six Point

Hunt In: Primarily Public lands/& private Honey Holes

Quote:
Yes I have hogs. I let the feeder throw a few seconds in the mornings only. This helps a lot with hogs finding it. Also if I do get hogs coming in to my bow set up I will try to hunt them asap. I have killed a couple at that spot in the pics I posted, but they typically are at other hunters set ups eating corn all night at their feeders
Hand corn or pipe feeder is my way. The deer will stay wherever you feed them at. I just prefer keeping it quiet. Ive never seen many big deer around broadcsst feeders but i lmow it happens. Biggest factor is the ease of access in my opinion. If you are close by and can feed every few weeks id use a pipe feeder. If its not convinient then you may want a larger capacity feeder like a braodcast style.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
ArcheryAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 11:27 PM   #46
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

I dont seem to have any issues with broadcast feeders in east(ish) texas. Walker/Grimes counties

bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2018, 07:04 AM   #47
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

ArcheryAssasin is right about pipe feeders. I've had bucks eat out of them lots of times. I've been using pipe feeders like the one he posted for at least 30 years now. I've never had a hog knock one down either.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:07 AM   #48
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

I'm coon hunting over one I have behind my house right now. Guy has been showing up the last couple mornings. If I don't see him I will set the Duke traps.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:17 AM   #49
Wiley64
Four Point

Hunt In: Fredericksburg TX

People give deer way too much credit in my opinion. I went through this no feeder period in my life and it was a dark and lonely meatless road. Build a feeder pen around your feeder so they aren't eating corn covered in hog **** and you will be alright.
Wiley64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2018, 08:01 AM   #50
cva34
Eight Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Lots of great info in read...

Feeders are OK...to see Deer..not so much Monsters( unless he's after a HOT DOE)
There is something about that A frame winched up feeder that Alerts Deer to corn and DANGER...Same with feeder pen...They aproach it like its Danger (for good reason)...

Hand fed and hidden feeders...and directional and cannon feeders do not seem to alert them as the above..
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top