Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2018, 12:45 AM   #1
bukkskin
Eight Point
 
bukkskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pipe Creek/Helotes
Hunt In: Mexico
Default 1,000 People per DAY

So, according to our governor, One Thousand people move to Texas per day.
I don't doubt this at all.
What do you all think this has to do with the shortage of hunting leases and the skyrocketing prices of leases.
I always hear that we are loosing hunter numbers and the sport is in decline.
I just don't see it!!!
30 yrs ago hunting leases were a dime a dozen, now you can't find one.
School me.
bukkskin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 01:07 AM   #2
drop dead fred
Pope & Young
 
drop dead fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Willis
Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukkskin View Post
So, according to our governor, One Thousand people move to Texas per day.
I don't doubt this at all.
What do you all think this has to do with the shortage of hunting leases and the skyrocketing prices of leases.
I always hear that we are loosing hunter numbers and the sport is in decline.
I just don't see it!!!
30 yrs ago hunting leases were a dime a dozen, now you can't find one.
School me.
The people moving here are illegal or no interest in hunting... lease prices skyrocketed because oil money
drop dead fred is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 01:18 AM   #3
bukkskin
Eight Point
 
bukkskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pipe Creek/Helotes
Hunt In: Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post
The people moving here are illegal or no interest in hunting... lease prices skyrocketed because oil money
So, the oilfield leased everything up? Seems it took a hit a couple years back but still no leases available.
Are all these oilfield workers native Texans or just come in to work?
bukkskin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 01:30 AM   #4
Black Ice
Pope & Young
 
Black Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baton Rouge
Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post
The people moving here are illegal or no interest in hunting... lease prices skyrocketed because oil money


To get good hunting land around Baton Rouge you are going to pay $40 an acre.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 01:47 AM   #5
Briar Friar
Ten Point
 
Briar Friar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Texas
Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds
Default

Some oil derived. I think its mostly due to continuing population expansion and continuing urbaninzation of rural areas. Projection of population expansion says it wont stop. Not until quantitative easing finishes...or a perfect storm and the real bust hits. Sometime when the next Dem takes POTUS...me thinks.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 04:22 AM   #6
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young
 
Muddy Bud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Corpus Christi
Hunt In: Webb/Jim Hogg
Default

I have hunted South Texas all my life. Its always been at least 10 to 20 dollars more an acre compared to the rest of the state, so I guess we dont see it like other folks do. But I agree with you. Definitely do not see a shortage of hunters. But if prices keep climbing like they are it will surely happen. Saw a place on lease hunter in Jim Hogg county going for almost 90.00 bucks and acre. It was only 80 acres.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 05:55 AM   #7
Fling em
Ten Point
 
Fling em's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dayton Texas
Hunt In: Freer, Texas
Default

I personally don't think the lease prices have anything to do with hunter numbers or the new people moving into Texas.
It has to do with people willing to pay the higher prices for hunting rights. I'm on a lease in South Texas and pay more than I ever dreamed I would pay to hunt somewhere. I only pay the price because I've decided that hunting this place is worth the price the land owner is charging.

I can guarantee you that, if I decided to get off this place today, they would probably have my spot filled by the end of the weekend.

I also believe that all the hunting shows with big bucks and the celebrity status of the people on these shows has helped drive the cost up some too!
Fling em is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 06:18 AM   #8
BURTONboy
Pope & Young
 
BURTONboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Ulm
Hunt In: San Saba
Default 1,000 People per DAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukkskin View Post
So, the oilfield leased everything up? Seems it took a hit a couple years back but still no leases available.
Are all these oilfield workers native Texans or just come in to work?


No, the guys making the big bucks pay up to get on a place. Not to mention the corporate leases their bosses get and pay big bucks for.

But all that noted, that doesnt affect every region (mainly south texas), and prices are still sky high everywhere. It almost gets to the point of questioning whether its worth it or save your coin and spend it all on 1 week a year in the mountains chasing something cool that isnt native to Texas. If I still had to lease I believe thats what I would do.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BURTONboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 06:32 AM   #9
fullsizeaggie
Ten Point
 
fullsizeaggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: St. Hedwig
Hunt In: Bracketville, Missouri, East TX
Default

I think a lot has to do with land being developed and less huntable land. I don’t think many people from the west and north are moving here to hunt. Some of the owners I work with, don’t want to mess with it. Another thing, the breaking up of land into smaller tracts that once were hunted by a group are now only hunted by a family member or not at all. A lot of small game ranches are popping up that were once leased. I see this in the hill country.
fullsizeaggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 06:35 AM   #10
Worksalot
Eight Point
 
Worksalot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Earth
Hunt In: On earth
Default

Was just visiting a wildlife ranch that is under new ownership. The cost of owning and running a large ranch like that is staggering. They are selling off ownership shares. More than twenty have been sold. I think that may explain why the guys leasing a portion of it left. The lease costs are likely being increased with all these shares being sold. It seems these ownership shares have become more common on these type properties. Kind of frightening seeing things continue this way.
Worksalot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 06:36 AM   #11
N.DaWoods
Ten Point
 
N.DaWoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Austin Area
Hunt In: Texas
Default

I think it has a lot to do with farming economic more than oil. The land farmers and ranchers used to use for making a living through sheep, goats, and cattle is now able to make them a much more sizable income, plus they don't have to do anything. It's a no brainer. It is not maybe this can pay the taxes any more, it is this is a huge supplement to my yearly income and people are willing to pay it. I don't blame them, it's not personal it's economics. If your selling something that 100 people would buy for 20 bucks, why would you sell it to someone for 2 bucks? It isn't good business. Most understand this, but often people are upset about lease prices and expect lease owners to not follow that logic. The icable tv, the internet, Facebook, websites like this one do nothing but drive up cost. Better management has seen more big deer taken and big deer equals more money. IMO
N.DaWoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 08:04 AM   #12
Big Mike M
Eight Point
 
Big Mike M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Duval County west of Freer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fling em View Post
I personally don't think the lease prices have anything to do with hunter numbers or the new people moving into Texas.
It has to do with people willing to pay the higher prices for hunting rights. I'm on a lease in South Texas and pay more than I ever dreamed I would pay to hunt somewhere. I only pay the price because I've decided that hunting this place is worth the price the land owner is charging.

I can guarantee you that, if I decided to get off this place today, they would probably have my spot filled by the end of the weekend.

I also believe that all the hunting shows with big bucks and the celebrity status of the people on these shows has helped drive the cost up some too!
It would be filled by the end of the day. Itís going to be a good year for big bucks. Everything Iíve seen so far looks promising.
Big Mike M is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 11:31 AM   #13
Nolove
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Laguna Niguel, CA
Hunt In: Medina County
Default

What is typically included in a $40+/ acre year round lease? Not what can be killed, but is it usually only the land and cabin/house?How often are feeders, feed, blinds etc included?

I just audited my ranch expenses before taxes and itís quite expensive. Depending on what was included in the lease it wouldnít be cheap as a hunter and thatís only to break even. Everything that goes into a well managed piece of land year round is very resource intensive. Hunters would be supplementing my expenses, not my income.

For the higher end lease fees how much are you spending on top of the cover charge and what are you spending it on?

I have a smaller place in Díhanis that I was considering leasing out for one or two guns. 100 acres on the seco, 75 acres are planted, oats, wheat etc. rain dependent. There is a remodeled country house under 300 yr old oaks, but for now that is not included. What would be a fair price per gun? No blinds, feeders or feed included...itís BYOB 100%.

If the house was included what would it be? It would be perfect for a hunting family if Mom doesnít like it too rough. Thoughts?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Nolove is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 07:34 PM   #14
bukkskin
Eight Point
 
bukkskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pipe Creek/Helotes
Hunt In: Mexico
Default

^^ I agree there are many causes. It is just staggering to me that in 4 yrs time there will be another City of San Antonio worth of people (1.49 million) living in the state.
bukkskin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2018, 08:32 PM   #15
Big pig
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Cypress, tx
Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsizeaggie View Post
I think a lot has to do with land being developed and less huntable land. I donít think many people from the west and north are moving here to hunt. Some of the owners I work with, donít want to mess with it. Another thing, the breaking up of land into smaller tracts that once were hunted by a group are now only hunted by a family member or not at all. A lot of small game ranches are popping up that were once leased. I see this in the hill country.
This. I have been hunting leases for 50+ years and the original prices were so low itís funny now.
I have actually seen some of those leases that were once in the country are now cut up and sub-divided.
Also ďcityĒ people moving to the country buy land and donít lease it. I did it.
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 09:15 AM   #16
Sika
Pope & Young
 
Sika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Llano
Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukkskin View Post
So, according to our governor, One Thousand people move to Texas per day.
I don't doubt this at all.
What do you all think this has to do with the shortage of hunting leases and the skyrocketing prices of leases.
I always hear that we are loosing hunter numbers and the sport is in decline.
I just don't see it!!!
30 yrs ago hunting leases were a dime a dozen, now you can't find one.
School me.
New hunter recruitment is down because more people are growing up in urban environments. They have no exposure to hunting, fishing or ranching because their friends and family also grew up in urban environemnts and do not partake in these activities.

Leases are hard to find because there are fewer available today. Land fragmentation (subdivisions) urban sprawl, and reduction in large cattle ranches are contributing factors. Other existing commercial hunting ranches prefer to work with outfitters and offer guided hunts vs. traditional year-round hunting lease.

So, yes, there are fewer people hunting but also way less access to hunting land. Lease prices are a result of the demand and supply of available leases.

Last edited by Sika; 08-15-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Sika is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 09:37 AM   #17
909ag2006
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Default

I think the high cost of hunting leases has alot to do with how accessible most parts of the state are now by driving. When you can run 90 mph on the highway, it makes the state alot smaller. All of a sudden, guys from Houston can shoot down to a deer lease in South Texas thats 250 miles away in 3.5 hours. Gives lots of hunters access to leases they couldn't have hunted back when you couldn't drive like that because of lower speed limits and vehicles not being what they are today. I live in Houston and hunt around Bruni. If I couldn't run 80 to 90 mph to get there, I probably wouldn't be on the lease.
909ag2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 04:16 PM   #18
Throwin' Darts
Pope & Young
 
Throwin' Darts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.DaWoods View Post
I think it has a lot to do with farming economic more than oil. The land farmers and ranchers used to use for making a living through sheep, goats, and cattle is now able to make them a much more sizable income, plus they don't have to do anything. It's a no brainer. It is not maybe this can pay the taxes any more, it is this is a huge supplement to my yearly income and people are willing to pay it. I don't blame them, it's not personal it's economics. If your selling something that 100 people would buy for 20 bucks, why would you sell it to someone for 2 bucks? It isn't good business. Most understand this, but often people are upset about lease prices and expect lease owners to not follow that logic. The icable tv, the internet, Facebook, websites like this one do nothing but drive up cost. Better management has seen more big deer taken and big deer equals more money. IMO
I'm a landowner and its the opposite for me. It costs so much to own the ranch that I don't even want to bother with lease hunters because its not going to make a huge difference.

If land is inherited then it makes sense to lease it to hunters. If it is purchased then it doesn't make sense. Who is going to drop all that money to turn around and lose access to it so that you can cover 10%, maybe 20%, of the yearly expenses?
Throwin' Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 05:13 PM   #19
kingranch
Ten Point
 
kingranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: austin
Default

Nearly 200 come to Austin daily or at least that was what I was told the past few yrs
Another reason I'm planning on selling and moving on
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 05:36 PM   #20
Marco
Ten Point
 
Marco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Sisterdale, Texas
Default

The funny part is there is always someone looking for a lease but around a month or maybe more there were several places on here looking for guys to fill spots up. Little to no interest was given to these places. The leases
looked great, heck if I didnt already have two places I hunt on I would have been all over them. It seems that people want leases when its convenient for them and start freaking out when it's a month before season starts and all of a sudden they are scrambling for a place to hunt.
Marco is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 07:00 PM   #21
bukkskin
Eight Point
 
bukkskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pipe Creek/Helotes
Hunt In: Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sika View Post
New hunter recruitment is down because more people are growing up in urban environments. They have no exposure to hunting, fishing or ranching because their friends and family also grew up in urban environemnts and do not partake in these activities.

Leases are hard to find because there are fewer available today. Land fragmentation (subdivisions) urban sprawl, and reduction in large cattle ranches are contributing factors. Other existing commercial hunting ranches prefer to work with outfitters and offer guided hunts vs. traditional year-round hunting lease.

So, yes, there are fewer people hunting but also way less access to hunting land. Lease prices are a result of the demand and supply of available leases.
Well, if we gain 1.5 million in 4 yrs. And only 10% of these people hunt deer, that is
150,000 (150 THOUSAND) more hunters looking for a place to hunt.
Heck if only 5% hunt, that is still 75,000 (75 THOUSAND) more.

Plus all the other factors already mentioned above.
All i'm saying is
bukkskin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 07:19 PM   #22
Bayouboy
Pope & Young
 
Bayouboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: League City
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

There are also people dying and moving out everyday.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 08:35 PM   #23
bukkskin
Eight Point
 
bukkskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pipe Creek/Helotes
Hunt In: Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouboy View Post
There are also people dying and moving out everyday.
And being born.
bukkskin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 08:50 PM   #24
cj_sandman
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

I can think of a particular TX oil tycoon trying to buy about 30,000 ac. ... and if that happens, well.. about 52 hunters are going to get kicked off their leases.
cj_sandman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com