Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-08-2018, 08:03 PM   #1
Houston4x4
Eight Point

Hunt In: Buffalo area
Default Got the draw!! Pronghorn bound

I drew a pronghorn buck tag for unit 111,112,113,114 wooohooo
Has anyone on here ever hunted Easter Colorado for pronghorn? How big are the pronghorn in that area? I know there are plenty of pronghorn in these units but I didnít know if they where known to grow some big boys
(Picture for attention)
Attached Images

Houston4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2018, 08:08 PM   #2
Passthrough
Pope & Young

I killed one with an OTC tag in CO about the size of the one in your pic. I would holdout for bigger if I was you. I know ZERO about those units though.....good luck!!
Passthrough is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2018, 08:08 PM   #3
BO-N-ARO
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kansas / Missouri / Africa

Yip you should see some Pope & Young animals for sure. One of my favorite animals to work with. Good luck and be safe.
BO-N-ARO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2018, 08:09 PM   #4
stickman
Pope & Young

Congrats! Super jealous of you right now. A bucket list bow hunt for sure
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2018, 08:53 PM   #5
Crazy Horse
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr & Lavaca County

congrats!
Crazy Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2018, 08:54 PM   #6
Houston4x4
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthrough View Post
I killed one with an OTC tag in CO about the size of the one in your pic. I would holdout for bigger if I was you. I know ZERO about those units though.....good luck!!
This is the one I shot here in Texas a couple years ago and I would really like to best this guy but I know itís going to be hard.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2018, 09:02 PM   #7
trailboss
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Planet Earth

Good luck. Headed to Douglas, WY in 9 days for a 5 day hunt on private land. Been on my bucket list a long time. Pretty excited!

Trailboss
trailboss is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2018, 09:28 PM   #8
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailboss View Post
Good luck. Headed to Douglas, WY in 9 days for a 5 day hunt on private land. Been on my bucket list a long time. Pretty excited!

Trailboss
Outfitter or tresspass fee ?
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2018, 10:33 PM   #9
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress

Here is my colorado buck from last year just south of Pueblo. He went right around 76Ē

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JTeLarkin08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2018, 07:15 AM   #10
trailboss
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Planet Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
Outfitter or tresspass fee ?
Outfitter - Spearhead Ranch
trailboss is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2018, 09:07 AM   #11
ganngus
Four Point

Hunt In: Crockett/Guadalupe/Gillespie/Webb Counties, Colorado, & New Mexico

Congratulations to you on the draw! I've taken two pronghorn from Colorado, but both were around Hayden. Both were 70+ inch goats. Although I have not hunted eastern Colorado, I have spent a lot of time in that area drooling over the goats running around. You will have a great shot to take a P&Y pronghorn out there.

ganngus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #12
MountainMan
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Colorado and Texas (when invited ;))

Shoot, that's right in my backyard. You going public land or private? Either way, get ready to work your tail off in those units! They can be tough to hunt but they hold some booner goats because they don't hand out a lot of tags and there's a lot of private land.

With the way the weather has been this year, I'd hunt the water holes hard. Get some good pants too cuz you'll be crawling around alot, not a ton of cover.

Decoying can be your best friend there too. Goats are suckers for a decoy.

Hay bale blinds are really popular out that way too.

Plan to shoot a ways out too. A 50+ yard shot is not out of the question there if you're comfortable making that shot.

Good luck!
MountainMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2018, 09:46 AM   #13
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Gohunt says 60-70", with 70+ trophy potential. My experience with gohunt is 50/50, so there is a good chance if you get to the right spot, you could definitely be after a 70".

As MountainMan said, there is very little public (Less than 10%). Assuming you are hunting private, I am sure the outfitter or property owner will probably be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck!
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2018, 09:56 AM   #14
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Gohunt says 60-70", with 70+ trophy potential. My experience with gohunt is 50/50, so there is a good chance if you get to the right spot, you could definitely be after a 70".

As MountainMan said, there is very little public (Less than 10%). Assuming you are hunting private, I am sure the outfitter or property owner will probably be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck!
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2018, 05:30 PM   #15
Houston4x4
Eight Point

Im hunting private land. Its a cattle rancher that I met while up in that area working and we got to talking about how much I like to hunt and he said if I ever drew for the units his land is in I could come hunt free of charge which blew me away so I have been putting in for two years now and got it this year. He said he has about 12,000 acres and there will be a few family members out there hunting too but he said he has never had someone not get a goat as long as there not picky. He did say there have been some huge ones taken off the property but he is not a hunter so he said take that for what it is worth. He said that he will put me right in there path so they will be close shots but Im prepared to shoot 600-700 yards if i need to for a big goat. I just dont want to take a shot at the first one I see and findout that is small for the area. The land owner is not tech savy and doesnt take pictures or text so its only phone conversations but again this is a free hunt so im over the moon for the opportunity. Im doing as much research as I can remotely because of course that is a long long way to go for a scouting trip.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:32 PM   #16
Houston4x4
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post

Here is my colorado buck from last year just south of Pueblo. He went right around 76Ē

thats a beautiful Goat! Hopefully I get a chance at a nice one like that
Old 08-09-2018, 05:33 PM   #17
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Congrats
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2018, 05:36 PM   #18
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Good Luck!
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2018, 05:37 PM   #19
Houston4x4
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganngus View Post
Congratulations to you on the draw! I've taken two pronghorn from Colorado, but both were around Hayden. Both were 70+ inch goats. Although I have not hunted eastern Colorado, I have spent a lot of time in that area drooling over the goats running around. You will have a great shot to take a P&Y pronghorn out there.

That goat in the picture on the left is gorgeous!! He looks freaking HUGE!! WHat did he score? And are there any clues to judging a good goat? I have read that to the top of the ears is about 6 inches and if you can see another 6 inches above the ears thats a shooter...? Again I have only been on one goat hunt and I was successful and he ended up being a pretty big goat but I have to admit when i saw him i wasnt sure if he was big enough but my buddy that took me said shoot and boy am i happy i did! THere was no ground shrinkage when i walked up on him.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:42 PM   #20
Houston4x4
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan View Post
Shoot, that's right in my backyard. You going public land or private? Either way, get ready to work your tail off in those units! They can be tough to hunt but they hold some booner goats because they don't hand out a lot of tags and there's a lot of private land.

With the way the weather has been this year, I'd hunt the water holes hard. Get some good pants too cuz you'll be crawling around alot, not a ton of cover.

Decoying can be your best friend there too. Goats are suckers for a decoy.

Hay bale blinds are really popular out that way too.

Plan to shoot a ways out too. A 50+ yard shot is not out of the question there if you're comfortable making that shot.

Good luck!
Private land about 12000 acres im told. Man any pointers you can give me would be amazing! When you say decoying should I get a stand up full body plastic doe decoy? Or what should i take? Has there been a drought up there this year? Does that usually mean smaller horns up there like it does down here? Im going to be hunting the first weekend of Rifle October 6-8 will the rut be over then? How should I hunt them? Just over water or move around as the day goes on to see if I can find some bedded down? Again any advice would be greatly appreciated especially from someone that is up there!
Old 08-09-2018, 05:45 PM   #21
trophy8
Pope & Young

No info for you but I hope you nail a big one!! My first was a B&C pronghorn

Drive. Be mobile. Lots of glassing. Be prepared for a long shot.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2018, 06:12 PM   #22
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

Hope you get a good one. I took this one a few years back, in Montana.
Attached Images

Phillip Fields is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2018, 07:42 PM   #23
Houston4x4
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Fields View Post
Hope you get a good one. I took this one a few years back, in Montana.
They are such beautiful animals! Thanks for wishing me luck Iím taking all the good luck I can gather
Old 08-09-2018, 08:27 PM   #24
HDWRENCH
Eight Point

Hunt In: Cisco, San Juan

Congrats
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2018, 08:44 PM   #25
trophy8
Pope & Young

New Mexico pronghorn I killed a couple years ago. 82.5Ē if I recall. He made the book but I didnít enter him. 4 of us hunted the first evening. All 4 shot book goats. One guy killed an 86Ē. I saw a few bigger ones but they were young and we opted to pass on them for the next year.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:31 PM   #26
TXraiderTK
Six Point

Hunt In: Crockett Co. Hays Co.

Trophy8
Guide/outfitter info ?
TXraiderTK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2018, 10:46 AM   #27
ganngus
Four Point

Hunt In: Crockett/Guadalupe/Gillespie/Webb Counties, Colorado, & New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston4x4 View Post
That goat in the picture on the left is gorgeous!! He looks freaking HUGE!! WHat did he score? And are there any clues to judging a good goat? I have read that to the top of the ears is about 6 inches and if you can see another 6 inches above the ears thats a shooter...? Again I have only been on one goat hunt and I was successful and he ended up being a pretty big goat but I have to admit when i saw him i wasnt sure if he was big enough but my buddy that took me said shoot and boy am i happy i did! THere was no ground shrinkage when i walked up on him.
Goat on the left went 76 5/8. He was 19 inches tall. Good bases and cutters. His downfall was he didn't have the mass in the top and it hurt his second and third quarter measurements. But I was tickled pink, his height and width is overwhelming when you see him on the wall.

For field judging, if your goal is P&Y, generally, if the horns are at least double the length of his ears, you are in P&Y country. If you are looking for a B&C class of antelope, they generally will be tall with their cutters being being about 2/3 the way up the horn and have mass going all the way up.
ganngus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2018, 02:04 PM   #28
Houston4x4
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganngus View Post
Goat on the left went 76 5/8. He was 19 inches tall. Good bases and cutters. His downfall was he didn't have the mass in the top and it hurt his second and third quarter measurements. But I was tickled pink, his height and width is overwhelming when you see him on the wall.

For field judging, if your goal is P&Y, generally, if the horns are at least double the length of his ears, you are in P&Y country. If you are looking for a B&C class of antelope, they generally will be tall with their cutters being being about 2/3 the way up the horn and have mass going all the way up.
Man thank you for all the pointers! I will keep all that in mind when Im glassing
Old 08-10-2018, 03:57 PM   #29
Ray McGaughey
Four Point

Hunt In: Menard Co

My brother-in-law and I drew on the TPWD drawn hunt in 2009. Neither of us had ever hunted Pronghorns & I had never even seen a live one ! He killed one a little over 80" and mine was 77". During our research, we read that an antelope has the vision equivalent of a human looking through 8 power binoculars ! They can SEE ! Beg, borrow &/or steal the best quality binoculars and spotting scope that you can get your hands on. Also - I wouldn't do another hunt without one of those Montana brand folding decoys. It's just not possible to sneak up on them. We made an agreement that we wouldn't shoot one on the 1st day. We located the one that Terry shot on the first day with a small harem of does. He was still in the same area the next morning and Terry killed him at less than 100 yards after walking out into the pasture that we had him located in and laying down in the prone before daylight. I killed mine a couple days later after spotting him and making a play on him, I shot 300 yds. Good luck. Keep us posted.
Ray McGaughey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2018, 04:10 PM   #30
Houston4x4
Eight Point

Should I get the buck decoy or doe decoy?
Old 08-10-2018, 11:52 PM   #31
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXraiderTK View Post
Trophy8
Guide/outfitter info ?
Private land. No outfitter.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:53 PM   #32
Houston4x4
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston4x4 View Post
I drew a pronghorn buck tag for unit 111,112,113,114 wooohooo
Has anyone on here ever hunted Easter Colorado for pronghorn? How big are the pronghorn in that area? I know there are plenty of pronghorn in these units but I didnít know if they where known to grow some big boys
(Picture for attention)
Heck yeah tag showed up today
Attached Images