Dumb farming question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb farming question

So I've always loved gardening and learning about farming and propagation, etc. While I ended up being a programmer, I nearly went for horticulture.
    One thing that I always wonder though, is how do you go about getting your crops/meat/other goods sold efficiently? This was the least interesting part to me about farming as a kid, but now I'm older and know it matters a good deal if you're trying to live it haha I've seen more and more CSA's, but are there more middleman vendors you sell to who then sell it to others? What's that process look like going about finding somewhere to sell?

First thing is there is no ''dumb question'.
    Mostly depends on your product and where you can build/find a market. How large scale of an operation.

Comment

I’ve always been fascinated with farming and ranching. Looking forward to the replies.

Ranching cattle always looked easy from the outside. Throw them in a pasture and let them do their thing...that couldn’t be farther from the truth.

Comment

Go to you tube and search market gardening, there's a whole culture growing out there, you could be busy for months.

Comment

I've got about 1,000 feet of drip line you can have.....we tried varieties of potatoes, carrots, watermelons and cantelopes......you better have all the time in the world to weed....selling isn't the issue, raising them is.....much easier to have our pecan trees shaken and picked up by somebody else, taking my 40% and call it good.....

Comment

better than farming would be "farming" for ducks.....I'm not quite set up for it but a guy with an irrigation well could construct duck habitat/crops that you could flood and folks from town would pay big money to come hunt it, as long as you had enough to rotate and only hunt a couple days a week. Buddy of mine farms a place in Tioga and the lake on it get's $20,000 a yr for duck hunting and $10,000 a year for fishing rights.....now this is just me speculating on the feasibility of the duck farming......

Comment

My boys raise boer goats. I call it farming (ranching is for cattle). They are still small time but growing each year. They mainly sell on hunting forums, craigslist, and goat forums. Other breeders sell on facebook and places like that. The bigger breeders sell on the online auction sites and once your name is know people come to you.

Comment

So it seems like its just a matter of networking around with folks until you establish relationships with which you'd do business. Seems like there'd be a whole market just in making this part easier haha. Myself though I've just got a 1/4 acre, and don't have much interest in thinning my local deer. Figured i could setup some hog traps instead and set my space up more as a "micro" food plot. Then i got to thinking, i could be growing crops for my family. Then i wondered whats the feasibility of growing to sell if i do something high volume.

Comment

Check in with your farmer's market. Or stick a sign out by the road for whatever produce you have available at the time. Word will get around!

Comment

Working...
                  X