chain saw sharpening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chain saw sharpening

I am sick of buying new chain saw chains. They last about half an hour and are done again. This is mainly on oak trees.

I know to keep them out of the dirt etc...what is the best way to sharpen them? I think Dremel has a tool that could do it. I need something easy.

I picked up a chain sharpener at tractor supply a few years ago for about $40, simple and easy to use, it mounts to table top.

sure saves a lot on new chain purchases.

Comment

This is the best one I've used in a long time. Just make sure you get the one that matches your rake and pitch of your chain. It's made my stihl.
      Attached Files

Comment

Good luck. If you figure it out let me know.

The best thing I've found so far is the cheap little rod with guide. I'm too afraid to spend more money as I'm not sure the other expensive systems will work.

Comment

I got an electric sharpener a couple years ago that works well. Much quicker and more accurate on the angle than hand filing. About $30 for it. The grinding wheels with it didn't last long so I bought a 5-piece on Amazon for it.

Comment

Regular ol file only takes about 5 minutes on a 18" bar. Chainsaw chain that is just used for firewood and light home use will last years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
              Good luck. If you figure it out let me know.

The best thing I've found so far is the cheap little rod with guide. I'm too afraid to spend more money as I'm not sure the other expensive systems will work.
              Man I can't get the hang of those. I carried one to my friends farm in OH once. I had both my 16" Stihl and 18" Craftsman but I didn't have new chains for either because I thought we could sharpen them. Halfway into the day both were completely dull and 3 of us tried and none got those chains cutting again LOL. Maybe the one I bought was junk. I'll never know because I threw it in the dumpster at the gas station on the drive back to PA .

Comment

Originally posted by zr2chevy22 View Post
                This is the best one I've used in a long time. Just make sure you get the one that matches your rake and pitch of your chain. It's made my stihl.
                This is the ticket. Or one of the little lectric ones from harbor freight works well also. The hardware store by me charges 5 bucks a chain while you wait

I have 3 chains for my ms290 that are easily 5 years old and last longer than I care to run the saw. Best tip is, don't let the chain get too dull. Watch the shavings/dust coming out of the saw and once it starts to get finer than you can pick up with your fingers, quit and change chains.

Comment

I take all my chains that need sharpening to the Stihl shop. It’s a small place in a small NE Tx town and they charge me 4 bucks...and it’s worth every penny. I’ve watched the guy sharpen them, takes less than a minute with the right equipment.

Edit: There are weekends that I can dull two chains, I cut a lot of trees for my fire pit and general upkeep of my place.
                  Last edited by Shinesintx; 12-31-2018, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BarW View Post
                    Regular ol file only takes about 5 minutes on a 18" bar. Chainsaw chain that is just used for firewood and light home use will last years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                    Yep. This is what I use. But I logged with my grandpa for a year when I was younger and he taught me how to do it correctly.

Comment

Sounds like maby your oiler isn't working. I just use the round file that fits the link. A few strokes and move to the next. When the cutting bevel is clean metal move on.

Comment

I use the Dremel with the sharpening head. Really easy and fast

Comment

Another regular file user. When I left home my parents quit the wood burning stove and garden, no more firewood toter, splitter, stacker, and hoe boy.

Comment

Try some carbide tipped chains and you won't have to sharpen as much.

Comment

Check your oiler screen, maybe you aren't getting enough oil. Or turn it up. Also harbor freight has their sharpener on sale now for $22. It'll be the best money you've ever spent.

Comment

Working...
                              X