Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 11-18-2018, 12:45 PM   #1
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default Something wrong with rifles these days?

I hunt just west of Austin and it sure seems like everyone around here has a rifle issue.
I never hear just one shot. Typically it 3 or 4 occasionally its only 2. Now, I figure it must be the guns fault since we bow hunters struggle with bad broadheads
I guess it just could be a bad shot taker but saying that would probably get someone bent out of shape.
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 12:53 PM   #2
TxAg
Pope & Young

Could be shooting at multiple hogs/exotics. Or shooting till it's on the ground.
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #3
Tx.Fisher
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr, Gaines

Back in high school my dad and I had a little lease down towards Utopia. I remember one opening morning it sounded like a war zone and I heard 4 shots in a row, then 30 seconds later another four shots. Abound 10 seconds later I heard a different hunter yell out “sight in your ******* gun!!” I got a chuckle out of it.
Tx.Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 12:56 PM   #4
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
Back in high school my dad and I had a little lease down towards Utopia. I remember one opening morning it sounded like a war zone and I heard 4 shots in a row, then 30 seconds later another four shots. Abound 10 seconds later I heard a different hunter yell out “sight in your ******* gun!!” I got a chuckle out of it.
That's pretty funny
Old 11-18-2018, 12:56 PM   #5
Worksalot
Ten Point

Hunt In: The woods

That’s what happens after watching The Rifleman,starring Chuck Connors.
Worksalot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 12:59 PM   #6
kruppa24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Concho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksalot View Post
That’s what happens after watching The Rifleman,starring Chuck Connors.
Lol
kruppa24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 01:06 PM   #7
boy wonder
Ten Point

Hunt In: Albany

Well.......it is a 5 deer county, isn't it?
boy wonder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 01:06 PM   #8
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

Many years ago I was told:
1 shot - dead deer
2 shots - probably dead deer
3 shots - maybe dead deer
4 shots - no deer
Phillip Fields is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 01:28 PM   #9
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Fields View Post
1 shot - dead deer
4 shots - no deer
Let me be honest.....this absolutley applied.to me on a couple occasions while hunting muledeer in. Colorado.

Last edited by flywise; 11-18-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:48 PM   #10
Soggy Bottom
Eight Point

Hunt In: Victoria County and Jim Wells County

Quote:
1 shot - dead deer
4 shots - no deer

I agree with this.
Soggy Bottom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 02:28 PM   #11
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Can't remember the last time I needed a follow up shot on a deer & only keep a couple rounds in my 280...don't recall ever shooting more than twice?? Varmint guns are full.

I do get a kick out of a guy on our lease who shoots big magnums & every bolt gun has one of those elastic sleeves over the butt stock with an extra freak'n box worth of rounds he totes 15 yards to the blind??
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 02:32 PM   #12
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

I don't deer hunt with a rifle anymore but when I did I was a shoot til it drops guy. I'm still that way with pigs I don't ear hole, coyotes, coons, squirrels, etc.
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 02:36 PM   #13
Lungbustr
Pope & Young

. I think we know off the shelf rifles, scopes and ammo are more accurate now than they have ever been.

It's not the arrow, it's the Indian applies to rifles also.
Lungbustr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 02:52 PM   #14
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

I’ve been hearing that quite a bit this season on properties within earshot of my lease - rapid multiple shots. I think it is an indication that the pig infestation is as bad in the whole area as it is on our lease
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 03:03 PM   #15
Colton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
I do get a kick out of a guy on our lease who shoots big magnums & every bolt gun has one of those elastic sleeves over the butt stock with an extra freak'n box worth of rounds he totes 15 yards to the blind??
Hey man those sleeves are pretty handy. I always completely unload my gun getting into and out of the stand and those sleeves are a convenient spot to put my shells. And I never have to worry about forgetting to put shells in my pocket
Colton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 03:12 PM   #16
DesertDug
Ten Point

Hunt In: far out west texas & SHNF & Lovelady

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
I’ve been hearing that quite a bit this season on properties within earshot of my lease - rapid multiple shots. I think it is an indication that the pig infestation is as bad in the whole area as it is on our lease
Have the same thoughts. I guess a second shot helps with the tracking a deer, but 3,4?
DesertDug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 03:19 PM   #17
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County
Default Something wrong with rifles these days?

You are assuming its one hunter. We had the same thing going on the ranch bordering ours. Turned out to be a group of poachers. Cleared out the whole area and ruined the hunting for years. As a group in the same blind theyd open up on a group of deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by J Sweet; 11-18-2018 at 03:22 PM.
J Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #18
TX03RUBI
Eight Point

You assume they’re shooting at deer. Deer = 1 shot. Hogs = don’t stop shooting til they’re all dead or out of sight.
TX03RUBI is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 03:45 PM   #19
Worksalot
Ten Point

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
You assume they’re shooting at deer. Deer = 1 shot. Hogs = don’t stop shooting til they’re all dead or out of sight.
I scared the poop out of the nearest neighbors to the south end of one ranch I worked on seven days a week. Popped hogs every day they were out in the open. Trapped plenty of them as well. One foggy morning I was shooting the hogs and it sounded to the neighbors like the shots were near their houses. They were shook up. I’m surprised they didn’t call the SO, but nobody was doing anything wrong.
Worksalot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 03:50 PM   #20
stickbowcoop
Ten Point

Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.

When I first started hunting back in PA in the 80's lever action 30-30's were very popular. At day light the Monday after Thanksgiving when the season opened it sounded like a war zone as guys emptied their rifles on the first spike they saw. Then they would brag they got their buck; meanwhile it was full of holes and guys would be arguing over who shot last. It is why I stopped rifle hunting for a lot of years. The orange army, 1 million rifle hunters and many only hunted the first day or two.
stickbowcoop is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 04:00 PM   #21
Ryan81
Eight Point

Hunt In: NE Texas, Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
I got 3 shots off in about 10 seconds at hogs with a bolt action. Turned around and all the way across the wheat field was another one so I shot once again.

I was out of bullets and didn’t care since there was 15 mins of shooting time left. Went back and got a strap to drag em off.

Another guy typically takes an AR10 and often gets off 3-5 shots at hogs. They’re everywhere on our lease.

Ryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 04:00 PM   #22
xman59
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruppa24 View Post
Lol

well not really, he hit his target!
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 04:05 PM   #23
Bluesman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Retired Bowhunter

You guys should take an opportunity to be in the woods near Warsaw, Mo on the opening day of rifle season. Sounds like a war zone.
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 04:08 PM   #24
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
Hey man those sleeves are pretty handy. I always completely unload my gun getting into and out of the stand and those sleeves are a convenient spot to put my shells. And I never have to worry about forgetting to put shells in my pocket
Sure, but I bet you don't have every slot full like this guy...I'm sure his magazine is maxed out too. Figure if I need more than two then I deserv to dig more out of hunting bag. Guessing maybe 15 magnum rounds in & on the gun??
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 04:14 PM   #25
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Quote:
1 shot - dead deer
4 shots - no deer
They saying I was told was one step shorter but . . .
Maybe 12 years or more ago I was hunting in Missouri. Season was getting along and I decided to hunt a place where a couple draws go through a cousin's property. Sitting on the ridge between the two and watching the ends of both a nice 10 point came out of the one on the right. I missed him clean with my Winchester 30-06. He ran up the draw a ways, stopped and quartered to me. Next shot I hit the point of the near side shoulder. He took off across the ridge top from right to left at one point no more than 40 yards away. I shot three times as he crossed and the last time I squeezed the trigger it was on an empty chamber pointed at his butt as he went over the ridge crest.
My adrenaline was pumping full tilt and I was unable to find blood.
I rode back to the house on the ATV, got some more ammo and a target. Set it up at 100 yards. First shot was perfect, 1.5" high. I knew there was no way I missed that deer.
I went back and grid searched the draw he ran into and found him belly down at he base of a huge tree in a briar patch. Except for the first shot I missed I had hit him with all 4 other shots. Two rounds recovered under he off side skin. Both had retained over 90% of the bullet weight. All four had passed through the chest, two hard quartering.
He field dressed well over 200lbs.
I've seen too many guys lose deer with that one shot mentality. A friend had one get up and try to run off on him three times a couple weeks ago him thinking it was the last time every time and it finally died in a tank out in front of him.
I'll shoot til they drop even if I can get a second arrow in them.

Gary

Last edited by DRT; 11-18-2018 at 04:18 PM.
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 04:54 PM   #26
TexOddball
Spike

Hunt In: Travis Co, public all over

http://<a href="http://s1383.photobu...tkzd.jpg"></a>Last weekend? Sorry, that was me!

Northwest corner of Travis county.

Last edited by TexOddball; 11-18-2018 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Pic add
TexOddball is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 04:58 PM   #27
Colton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Sure, but I bet you don't have every slot full like this guy...I'm sure his magazine is maxed out too. Figure if I need more than two then I deserv to dig more out of hunting bag. Guessing maybe 15 magnum rounds in & on the gun??
😂 ya that’s pretty excessive. I carry probably 5 at a time on average.

Maybe he just has a really target rich environment 🙂
Colton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 04:59 PM   #28
TexOddball
Spike

Hunt In: Travis Co, public all over

Well I clearly don’t know how to add pics yet.
TexOddball is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 05:42 PM   #29
bps3040
Pope & Young

Hunt In: West Texas, Dryden area, Forestville, Canada

I was hunting with vendor and some other companies. I hear pew,pew,pew. Silence. Pew, pew, pew. Silence. Pew, pew, pew. Guy comes back to camp.... he shot at a branch/rock. I asked him if it not moving my had been a clue

Same weekend.... 6 shots. A 4 wheeler comes blazing into camp. Guy jumps off and yells I need a knife. He grabs it, jumps on 4 wheeler and takes off. He was hunting with a buddy, guy shot/ shot at spike. It could not get up Hill, so guy jumped on it and said give me your knife. His buddy did not have one so he came back to get one , while other guy hung on for dear life.

lost my appetite to go on those hunts. They finally quit asking

bps3040 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 05:47 PM   #30
MQ32Shooter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cisco, Texas

How about the idiots that drive all the way to their lease and then decide to sight the guns in. Had a group near me that did every year.
MQ32Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 06:47 PM   #31
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

Quote:
1 shot - dead deer
4 shots - no deer
This is close but not always... first time I was invited to a family friends ranch I had my ol trusty Winchester model 70 30-06 that I had killed several animals with and was very good at shooting it. The first morning a nice doe comes out and boom! She did the ol mule kick and walked 10 feet stood there and I waited for her to fall over.... nothing so I loaded round 2 boom nothing,3 boom nothing, at this point I was very frustrated but determined. So I loaded round 4 yes 4 and boom! Yup you guessed it another miss. I said “F” it this Gun must’ve got knocked off. She walked off then came back, almost taunting me so loaded round 5 BOOM miss’s again! The land owner calls me wanting to know how many deer I’ve killed and I had to tell him over a radio 0. So I gave up hope for about 5 minutes and she stayed so i loaded up at this point shot 6 or 7 don’t remember and settled the crosshairs on her neck squeezed off and she drops dead!

Sometimes stuff happens lol most embarrassing hunting of my life. By the way the scope was fine the Gun patterned perfectly after the hunt it was the “bullets”. Haven’t missed with a rifle since then.
BLACKFINTURKEY is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 07:02 PM   #32
Buck Shot
Six Point

Hunt In: Freestone County

Lol this cracks me up.
My wife , her brother, and I are all out hunting last evening. All in different stands. I hear boom, then 20!seconds later another boom, etc, until there’s been five booms. Brother in law texts “how many of em did you get” lol. She texting like crazy I can’t believe I missed and he’s still here lol. Why isn’t he running away? Brother in law texts “he must have figured out you’re a lousy shot”. By now I’m laughing in the stand.

Things were pretty quiet at home last night. I resighted her gun this morning. Hahaha
Buck Shot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 07:04 PM   #33
Buck Shot
Six Point

Hunt In: Freestone County

She had “only” had five rounds with her.
Buck Shot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 08:30 PM   #34
grizzman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas and Arkansas

Reminds me of something from 25 years ago. One time I shot a deer and it was DRT. My stepfather comes walking up and says "did you get a deer?". Being the smart*** that I was I said "you heard me shoot didn't you?".

A couple of years later I shot an eight but he was still moving but obviously not going far. I unloaded three rounds out of my BAR 7mm RM into him to make sure. My stepfather comes by and says "did you get four deer? I heard you shoot four times."

It was his turn to be a smartalec. I miss him.
grizzman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 08:36 PM   #35
RifleBowPistol
Eight Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
That's pretty funny.
RifleBowPistol is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 08:40 PM   #36
bps3040
Pope & Young

Hunt In: West Texas, Dryden area, Forestville, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Shot View Post
Lol this cracks me up.
My wife , her brother, and I are all out hunting last evening. All in different stands. I hear boom, then 20!seconds later another boom, etc, until there’s been five booms. Brother in law texts “how many of em did you get” lol. She texting like crazy I can’t believe I missed and he’s still here lol. Why isn’t he running away? Brother in law texts “he must have figured out you’re a lousy shot”. By now I’m laughing in the stand.

Things were pretty quiet at home last night. I resighted her gun this morning. Hahaha

bps3040 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 08:45 PM   #37
RifleBowPistol
Eight Point

Where we used to live, the place across the road, was owned by an old man for many years, he would kill one or two bucks a year and then tend to his cattle. So his place was very quiet most of the year. Then the old man died and his grand kids wound up with the place. The first two years, was ridiculous. There would typically be three pick up trucks loaded down with people, people riding in the beds, pulling in the gate multiple times a day on weekends and sometimes during the week. It sounded like there was a war going on over there most of deer season. The old man's place is probably 80 to 100 ac. I bet most weekends there were 15 plus people hunting the place. I used to see a lot of bucks, before the grand kids got the place, our deer population dropped by 40% to 50% after those first two years they had the place.
Then some other people across the road, farther down the road, suddenly discovered hunting, who knew nothing about hunting. There were many young bucks that were not legal that disappeared after all of the hunters showed up. Some of the big bucks also disappeared, but I think manly because of hunting pressure, there were some very smart older bucks in the area, I doubt those people had much chance of getting a shot at, I think those deer just moved or started moving at night.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:48 PM   #38
RifleBowPistol
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Shot View Post
Lol this cracks me up.

That one's really funny. My wife does not hunt, I don't have to worry about those problems.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:54 PM   #39
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Good thing it wasn't a TBH'r. We all shoot 2k+ customs or a $200 rifle that shoots almost as good
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 09:09 PM   #40
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
I hunt just west of Austin and it sure seems like everyone around here has a rifle issue.
I never hear just one shot. Typically it 3 or 4 occasionally its only 2. Now, I figure it must be the guns fault since we bow hunters struggle with bad broadheads
I guess it just could be a bad shot taker but saying that would probably get someone bent out of shape.
Probably shooting Remington Core-Lokt, pretty crappy ammo today.
Thumper is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 09:20 PM   #41
2Lazy2P
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas/SE Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmTx View Post
Good thing it wasn't a TBH'r. We all shoot 2k+ customs or a $200 rifle that shoots almost as good
Haha
2Lazy2P is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 11:39 PM   #42
xman59
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Probably shooting Remington Core-Lokt, pretty crappy ammo today.
I agree with you, even though a lot of folks on here think it is great,,,, I guess there are some guns that like it,, just not one I ever shot
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2018, 12:12 AM   #43
bowhuntvideo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickbowcoop View Post
When I first started hunting back in PA in the 80's lever action 30-30's were very popular. At day light the Monday after Thanksgiving when the season opened it sounded like a war zone as guys emptied their rifles on the first spike they saw. Then they would brag they got their buck; meanwhile it was full of holes and guys would be arguing over who shot last. It is why I stopped rifle hunting for a lot of years. The orange army, 1 million rifle hunters and many only hunted the first day or two.

That’s PA alright. That’s why they refer to opening day as “buck day”. Never saw anyone admit to shooting does in NE PA. Two week rifle season and no Sunday hunting. I stayed out of the woods till the war was over. Don’t even get me started on deer drives...great way to die early

bowhuntvideo is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2018, 02:01 AM   #44
Robertt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Atascosa County, Tx

I think it is all the inexperienced hunters who bought AR's.
Robertt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2018, 06:21 PM   #45
cajuntec
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nowhere for now... Just moved!

The land behind the place I hunt had guns going off in rapid-fire groups, and it sounded like multiple guns from different locations on the property - 3 shots, pause, 2 shots, pause, 3 shots... I was starting to wonder if they were horrible shots. After about a half hour of this, I realized they were probably dove hunting.

All the best,
Glenn
cajuntec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2018, 07:19 PM   #46
Witchgrass
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bandera County

My Dad always got a kick out of telling people about my first buck. I was probably about 10, or so and Dad built two deer stands, basically a few 2x4 nailed in the crotch of a tree to sit on. We were about 40-50’ apart. He had just given me a new Marlin 30-30 to replace my H&R .410 that I’d been carrying for a few years. just after sunrise, a young 4 point came strolling thru with his nose to the ground. He was about 10 yards from me. I punched him prettty close behind the shoulder, and he went down. Dad hollered good job! The buck started kicking so I shot him again. Still kicking, but laying on the ground, i shot him again!
Dad finally hollers “ That’s good, stop shootin”. He then added, “if that buck had been able to get up, he would have been swaybacked carrying all that lead”. Lol
Sure miss my Dad.
Witchgrass is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2018, 07:28 PM   #47
Lefty5
Eight Point

Haha lol I only put one shell in my gun that way the shot has to count Seems to have been working fine so far
Lefty5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2018, 07:46 PM   #48
cva34
Eight Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Its them AR shooters.. hear them around here all time and at Range...

I grew up with a single shot 12..Killed more and used less ammo.. than any them BOOM BOOM ...pump/auto shooters.. I was ever around..

I still shoot single shot Bow and Crossbow..and Encore 223/243/260/50cal BP...single shot...I do have my Dads Marlin 30-30 and Revelation 12g pump ...30-30s loaned to friend and 12 ga ain't been shot in 20y+...oh yes several 22s
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2018, 08:11 PM   #49
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

We are absolutely covered up in pigs, the ARs have really helped take some out. I think we are somewhere around 42-45 in the last couple months, most with ARs. I took my .22 last night and killed several.

Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2018, 08:29 PM   #50
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
We are absolutely covered up in pigs, the ARs have really helped take some out. I think we are somewhere around 42-45 in the last couple months, most with ARs. I took my .22 last night and killed several.

Any time you need help with them swine Dale just let me know. I need some more fresh pork butts for the smoker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top