javalena bait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

javalena bait

So my son and I got drawn to hunt Chapparral for javis. I am very inexperienced with javis. A couple of threads recommend just corning the roads and sitting in lawn chairs waiting for them to show in the road and then putting on a stalk. That sounds fun and we will try it.

Questions:
    1. I am planning on taking a pop up. Would that be helpful?
    2. What about a tree stand or tripod?
    3. Are there water holes that might be frequented?
    4. Best bait? I have read corn or dog food? Should I ferment the corn like I do with feral hogs?

Thanks! All input is welcome and appreciated

Corn senderos, come back a while later and spot and stalk.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
      Corn senderos, come back a while later and spot and stalk.
      This ^

Comment

Just plain corn. They usually bait ahead of time for the youth hunts.
        They will respond to a predator call, sometimes. If you have one, try it out! I forgot to do that the last time or two we went.
        The last time we went, my daughter had shot ops twice, but was too slow. They didn't stick around long, so make sure he is ready for them to pop out any time. They may just cross the sendero, passing through.
        Wish we were going to be there!

Comment

Plain corn. They hit water very late from what I've seen. I usually find a low spot with tons of cactus. If you locate some put corn out very thin (like one kernel per 1-3 feet). Once one gets on the corn trail just hide behind something 100+ yards away. It will feed while running to each piece of corn.

Pop up can help sometimes. A short ladder stand may be useful after you find them. Also if you know some are close by don't be scared to crunch on some corn nuts as loud as you can. If they hear and think other Javis are on the corn they will come running out.

Comment

Tripod and popup are not necessary. If they are in the area a corned road will bring them out. The group size could be singles up to around 20, so look out when stalking up on them others could be hiding in the brush. If they spook off while putting on a stalk, just sit still for a minute they will probly come back. Fun animals top hunt. Good eating if you take care of the meat, just watch out for the scent gland on their back.

Comment

I have hunted them in the Trans Pecos and South Texas. Cool creatures to hunt. In west Texas I sat in a pop up at a corn baited area. Worked great and could have taken several but only 2 allowed.

In South Texas we corned senderos came back a few minutes later and they were on it. Spot and stalk. Hogs joined in with them as well so added more fun. I also sat in a bow blind in South Texas and had several opportunities. Headed back to South Texas in April. One of the best and memorable hunts I have done, love me some South Texas javis.

IMO the funnest hunt is spot and stalk. Remember..................the nose is keen on javis, the eye sight is pretty poor. They see more shades of movement but can smell you a whole lot easier. When people say they were attacked by a group of javis in reality they were trying to get gone but couldn't see.

I never used dog food but corn is still cheaper then most dry dog food even cheap brands. Best of luck and look forward to a write up.

Comment

Are ferals/warthogs also legal during your hunt?
                I agree on corn. I suggest the thickest low parts of the senderos.

BP

Comment

Did somebody say corn? No need to get fancy. Just pour out the yellow brick road and let it do its thing.

Comment

just corn.

Bring a pop up in case of rain.

they ain't got trees big enough to put a stand in.

There are some ponds...probably got the cows there though.

Bring chairs. They have some open top blinds 4x5 and about 8-12 feet up. expannded metal floors.

pigs, coyotes and warthogs are shoot on sight down there. Most of the wart hogs are on the west side.

Lot of Javis on the Chap. they have a nice campground

I went on the last hunt. Saw big buck, yotes, pig and bobcats

have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
                      Tripod and popup are not necessary. If they are in the area a corned road will bring them out. The group size could be singles up to around 20, so look out when stalking up on them others could be hiding in the brush. If they spook off while putting on a stalk, just sit still for a minute they will probly come back. Fun animals top hunt. Good eating if you take care of the meat, just watch out for the scent gland on their back.
                      What he said. Just make sure the wind is blowing the right direction and it's a blast! No pop up needed or even recommend! Stay back 60+ yards let them get on road then start walking down hugging the brush line. And as far as specialty feed I have found that it's not the food it's get yourself a nice loud feeder and they will hear you corning the roads and they'll find it.

Comment

I agree with the popup not necessary but take one in case it's bad weather. All compartments have stands but most are not closed, they're open top and bottom.

Corn as much road as you can. If you have a road chummer for your truck, take it. It allows you to corn faster and use less corn per mile of road. Once corned you can move around from spot to spot if weather permits. Also plan to hunt all day on the full day hunt. Perhaps going back to the HQ for a break and lunch but stay out all day especially if it's good weather. They're fair weather animals and are likely to move any time of the day.

Glass the roads from blind or truck then stalk within bow or rifle range.

If you like to call for yotes, do so. They're pretty call shy by now but it's worth a try. I called in two last year during my hunt.

Have fun, it's a good hunt.

Comment

Their vitals are pretty small too. Aim for the right behind the white line going across the shoulder and you should be good.

Comment

Dry cat food works well for javi
                            Deer will eat up your corn
                            Nothing eats cat food except the javi

Comment

Those little peccaries love corn. Not the brightest animal in the woods, but good noses. Agree with corning roads and looping back. Spot and stalk from there.

Comment

Working...
                              X