Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 11-15-2018, 12:52 PM   #1
Homer75
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas
Default A-max fragmenting

I shot a doe this past weekend with kids 243 at 85 yrds and picked about 1/3 of the copper jacket out of the exit shoulder. Is this the norm with this bullet? The load is at the hot end of the load manual.
Homer75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2018, 01:00 PM   #2
MadHatter
Ten Point

Yes. Crap bullet as far as weight retention. Not really it's purpose though. High BC, accuracy, etc..are its goal.

Last edited by MadHatter; 11-15-2018 at 01:02 PM.
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2018, 01:11 PM   #3
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Yes a small fast amax will have explosive results. It wasn't built to hold together like that of a thicker jacketed or even bonded hunting bullet.

Here's the results from a doe shot at 200 yards with a 80 grain 22 call eld-m launched at 3000 fps.

I also have a picture of a fallow doe with the eyes popped out and skull cap gone but won't post it here due to its graphic nature.

Name:  20171231_183132.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  38.1 KB

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Slick8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2018, 01:11 PM   #4
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Thatís what they do
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #5
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

Basically a match bullet, would use something else for hunting.
bbqfan5909 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2018, 01:21 PM   #6
roughneck266
Four Point

Hunt In: Warren

If Hornady is your preferred brand, an SST or GMX bullet would be a much better choice. Even the American hunter stuff is better for hunting purposes. I use the SST's in several rifles and have had good results with them on deer and pigs.
roughneck266 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2018, 01:40 PM   #7
Homer75
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

I’m thinking of going back to the Nosler ballistic tips, Yes they do a lot of damage but they hold together in my experience and get the job done.
Homer75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2018, 02:30 PM   #8
joel45acp
Six Point

Hunt In: Duval Co

How are these Amax pills at subsonic speeds in 300blkout?
joel45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2018, 03:11 PM   #9
sendit
Ten Point

I can see the little 85gr Amax coming apart on that doe, a typical example of a light jacketed bullet driven at high speed.

I have shot a ton of 105gr Amax's through a fast twisted 243 Win I built and the older pre "amp" jacketed bullets would come apart in flight and never make it to the target. Havent had that problem since Hornady uses a better jacket on the amax now
sendit is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2018, 03:17 PM   #10
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel45acp View Post
That's what I shoot out of my 300 Blk. I've only used them for head shooting pigs. It works fine for that. I have killed two pigs with one shot. It was sort of unintentional but passed through the first pigs head and hit another in the neck.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 12:19 AM   #11
RifleBowPistol
Eight Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

Hornady bullets and multiple other products are definitely not the best around. I have never been a fan of Hornady rifle bullets or dies. I have read a lot about guys complaining about Hornady bullets fragmenting. I have tried many brands of bullets for hunting, but never hunted with Hornady, never liked the results I got just shooting paper.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 05:58 AM   #12
Brute Killer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pleasanton

I don't believe the bullet was intended for shooting game. They are target bullets.
Brute Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 06:47 AM   #13
dphillips62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mission Valley, Victoria, and anywhere else I can sling an arrow

The A-MAX is now the ELD it's a target bullet. The ELD-X is the hunting version of the A-MAX and I've had very good luck with it at both long (800 yds) and short (50 yds) range out of a 308.
dphillips62 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 09:01 AM   #14
Zen Archery
Ten Point

Hunt In: G-ds blessed earth!

AMax is a thin jacket bullet intended for long range target shooting.
ELDX is not the replacement. ELDM would be closer to an AMax replacement.
Zen Archery is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 09:26 AM   #15
HDWRENCH
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cisco, San Juan

The A max works great when driven at the right speed . I have used it to kill many white tail and mule deer Elk as well . Again the right FPS round . I used it for a 300 RUM back when that round was new and box ammo was not like it is today .

This is off another LR site and I feel its very well written so I copied it vs re typing all of it I feel that the guy got it right as my finding where what he has posted .

Hornadyís 178 grain A-Max works exceptionally well on light bodied game. On game weighing between 90 and 150kg (200-330lb), the A-Max does its best work at impact velocities below 3100fps or 90 yards from a MV of 3300fps, producing wide wounding out to ranges of around 1160 yards. But for true long range hunting as well as for general work on medium game at all ranges, the 208 grain A-Max has the greatest strengths. The 208 grain A-Max is perfectly adequate for game as light as 40kg (88lb) upwards. Poor penetration is to be expected on large bodied game at close ranges, especially so at impact velocities above 2900fps. Below 2900fps, penetration is fair. Below 2600fps, the A-Max is able to produce a more uniform cluster of fragments with the potential to produce a deep, central wound channel on large bodied game weighing between 90 and 320kg (200-700lb), with the capacity to tackle somewhat heavier body weights as velocities fall below 2200fps. Driven at 3100fps and with a high BC of .648, the 208 grain A-Max is capable of producing fast kills, with room for error, out to a range of around 1400 yards (1400fps).

With that siad I have never used it in a small caliber only in weights of 178 and heavier . The point is the animal is dead right ?? The round did what it should have . I mean I had a soft point round on the 243 punch a pig small hole in and out pig ran maybe 75 yards ( honest distance ) . Shoot another pig same spot with a target bullet and it dropped on the spot .. Either way the game is dead and the job was completed .

Last year shot a decent size 8 at 378 yards almost 100 broad side with a 308 SST round . Heart lung shoot the deer took maybe 3 steps dropped .. NO exit wound almost total loss of front should meat due to trauma bone fragments . We found bullet shards into both hind quarters .

To me that round failed in my opinion However the deer was dead , and hence the bullet did its job .

143 ELDX honrday box ammo 6.5CM
So since I have a pic its clear the bullet did not pass through Quartering shot in front of shoulder to get proper Exit or at least line of sight for exit . Any takes on how far away the shot was ??

Untitled by GMR Performance, on Flickr

Last edited by HDWRENCH; 11-16-2018 at 09:30 AM.
HDWRENCH is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 09:26 AM   #16
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

Don't tell all the animals i killed with 168 amax out of a 308 that amax is not a hunting bullet. They are going to be ******.

Weight retention does tend to be poor. But I'm in the business of making stuff dead, not making bullets come out whole. I shot a an aoudad at 533 yards and the copper jacket was just under the skin on the off side. I think it had a small amount of lead in the rear end of the jacket. Exit holes are good but not needed when you watch stuff tip over. I'm a fan of maximum energy transfer. I'm not arguing that there are better choices fore a hunting bullet. But I am saying that they have worked very well as a hunting bullet for me for deer, pigs, yotes, and aoudad. I can't remember having to trail anything shot with them.
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 02:24 AM   #17
joel45acp
Six Point

Hunt In: Duval Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
That's what I shoot out of my 300 Blk. I've only used them for head shooting pigs. It works fine for that. I have killed two pigs with one shot. It was sort of unintentional but passed through the first pigs head and hit another in the neck.
AR platform or bolt gun? What's your velocity? Thanks for the I sight.
joel45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 05:42 AM   #18
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:

No expansion at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 05:39 PM   #19
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties

Quote:
AR platform or bolt gun? What's your velocity? Thanks for the I sight.

No clue on velocity. It's a suppressed Ruger Ranch, bolt gun.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 06:00 PM   #20
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanMachine View Post
Don't tell all the animals i killed with 168 amax out of a 308 that amax is not a hunting bullet. They are going to be ******.

Weight retention does tend to be poor. But I'm in the business of making stuff dead, not making bullets come out whole. I shot a an aoudad at 533 yards and the copper jacket was just under the skin on the off side. I think it had a small amount of lead in the rear end of the jacket. Exit holes are good but not needed when you watch stuff tip over. I'm a fan of maximum energy transfer. I'm not arguing that there are better choices fore a hunting bullet. But I am saying that they have worked very well as a hunting bullet for me for deer, pigs, yotes, and aoudad. I can't remember having to trail anything shot with them.
Bonded bullets do very well on big large animals, especially shoulder shots. Big animals need to have their running gear taken away from them and a solid or bonded bullet is designed for this. Thin skinned animals can be killed with fragmenting bullets, I had to learn this the hard way.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #21
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Bonded bullets do very well on big large animals, especially shoulder shots. Big animals need to have their running gear taken away from them and a solid or bonded bullet is designed for this. Thin skinned animals can be killed with fragmenting bullets, I had to learn this the hard way.
What are you calling big animals? I've killed pigs in 200-300# range that did not take a step. I shot a 200# plus buck behind the last rib that went through the off side shoulder. I'm not saying that you are not correct. Only that the Amax has made an excellent hunting bullet in my experience. It may burn me eventually.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:14 PM   #22
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanMachine View Post
What are you calling big animals? I've killed pigs in 200-300# range that did not take a step. I shot a 200# plus buck behind the last rib that went through the off side shoulder. I'm not saying that you are not correct. Only that the Amax has made an excellent hunting bullet in my experience. It may burn me eventually.
Nilgai, moose, bear and other animals in this size range. Amax will work on pigs and deer sized game.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2018, 03:27 PM   #23
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Nilgai, moose, bear and other animals in this size range. Amax will work on pigs and deer sized game.
Gotcha. I could not agree more on those species.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2018, 05:34 PM   #24
lordvader
Spike

Never used the A max in a 243, but we have used the 100 grain interlock and they work pretty good. We have also had very good results with federal blue box 100 grain power shok.
lordvader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top