My custom boot story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My custom boot story

I have always wanted a pair of custom boots and this past Spring my wife told me for our up coming 5th wedding anniversary she was making that happen. I’m a research guy so I went to work, starting with TBH. There was not a lot of information on TBH about custom boots so I decided to take pictures of the process for a thread. In doing so, hopefully when somebody searches for information on custom boots in the future there is a thread about the process. In searching for a custom boot company I wanted the following things; a Texas boot maker, a company with some history, and most importantly somebody that did a custom fit not just putting you in closest size they have.

About that same time we went to the Texas Cattle Raisers Expo in Fort Worth and ran into Kimmel Boot Company out of Comanche, Tx. While they fit the bill and I loved their sales pitch, I keep researching. In the end, I kept coming back to Kimmel Boot Company.

Kimmel Boot Company was started in 1980 by Eddie and Kathy Kimmel and a few years ago handed down to their daughter and Son-In-Law, Heath and Jodie Tucker. They answered every question I had and we set up a date for us to go to Comanche for a fitting and to pick out the boots.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4548.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	25154113

I already had the design in my head and had some boot ideas I wanted to pull from. I had already decided I wanted a shark skin bottom cause of the cool texture. The process started with picking out the color of leathers.

Name:	IMG_4530.jpg
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	25154114

Once I did this, he cut me out a “little” boot so I could make sure that is what I wanted.

Next step, the most important was the measuring.

Name:	IMG_4538.jpg
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	25154115

Name:	IMG_4539.jpg
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	25154116

Name:	IMG_4544.jpg
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	25154117

Name:	IMG_4540.jpg
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	25154118

Then came the design part. He had a ton of options from stitching, to heel, to toe and then my custom logos I wanted.

Name:	IMG_4531.jpg
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	25154119

I wanted my boot to have the T-Association “T” to match my T-Ring. The T-Ring is given to University of Texas lettermen winners who go on to get their degree. This was a tradition started by Coach Royal and carries on today.

Now the process of building the boot on their end and waiting on mine! This was the molds they worked off of to create my custom mold. During the process we found out my left foot was much bigger than my right. Now I know to try on the left shoe vs right when I buy a pair of shoes off the rack. I have always tried on my right foot.

This whole room (including in the boxes) is filled with molds they work from to give you a custom fit.

The next aisle over in the room

Two weekends ago I made a trip back to Comanche for my final fitting. We had to make a few tweaks but now I’m the very proud owner of a pair of custom Kimmel Boots.

I’m very pleased with how the boots turned out and the whole process. They turned the boots in about 60-70 days with beautiful craftsmanship and fit. Sadly about three weeks ago, Eddie Kimmel suddenly passed away. I will always be grateful to have a pair of his boots on my feet.

Congratulations!

Simply Beautiful Boots!

Comment

Great looking pair of boots

Comment

Beautiful boots!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Way too cool!

hopefully someday

Comment

Those are sharp looking. Congratulations on the new customs.

Comment

Dang , nice boots. What kinda price for custom made boots?

Comment

Thank you for the detail. You did a great job!

Comment

sweet!

Comment

Great thread , Heath! Fine looking boots.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow those turned out beautiful! Thanks for the info

Comment

****, that's pretty sad. RIP. He the guy measuring your feet?
                        Are yours the last pair he ever made? Might get an authentication letter, just for the nostalgia factor if so.

Comment

Very nice.

Comment

What an absolutely stunning pair of boots! Was jus telling my wife this weekend that I’d love to have a custom pair one day.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                              Dang , nice boots. What kinda price for custom made boots?

I believe they start around $1500-$1600.

Mine was around $1700

Comment

Working...
                              X