Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking the long stick out to 1760 yards and beyond this weekend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headed to Valdina Ranch this weekend to put the new build on steel out as far as it can stay together. I’ve been at the range, tweaking loads and working hard to get the load perfect and get a little time behind the trigger.

At this point I think I’m there. I have 2 loads to test at distance. A 180 grain ELD doing 2900 with single digit SD and ES. Also a 162 ELD doing just under 3200 with single digit SD and ES. Both shoot great. The 162’s group a tad better. Shot the best 5 round group ever with it this past weekend off of a bipod and rear bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like fun, I have taken mine to 1800 so far with good results.

Comment

7mm Mag?

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
        7mm Mag?
        I’m guessing 7SAUM from the short action

Comment

Geez that's a long way out.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
            7mm Mag?

7SAUM

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
              I’m guessing 7SAUM from the short action
              ah yes... good eye!

Comment

Rifle specs:

Rem 700 Short Mag action
                Bartlein 28” 5r rifled 8 twist barrel, Barreled action done by APR.
                XLR Element chassis
                TriggerTech trigger set at 10oz
                Seekins Precision base and rings.
                Vortex Viper PST Gen 2, 5-25x50 mil/mil
                SilencerCo Omega ASR attachment over their brake.
                Atlas Bipod
                Accurate Mag, WSM magazines. Can feed OAL our to 2.96”

Last edited by hoythitman; 07-23-2018, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Nice rig and great shooting! I moved from Georgia to Texas last year. In GA I had several properties that I could get to a mile and beyond, but I haven’t found a reasonably priced place close to me in Texas yet. It’s so much more open and flat here near Houston that I’m bound to find a place eventually. I miss it though, long range is so fun. Good luck this weekend!

Comment

At what distance was the 5 round group shot at. Appears to be some dang good shootin.

Comment

Originally posted by hoythitman View Post
                      Headed to Valdina Ranch this weekend to put the new build on steel out as far as it can stay together. I’ve been at the range, tweaking loads and working hard to get the load perfect and get a little time behind the trigger.

At this point I think I’m there. I have 2 loads to test at distance. A 180 grain ELD doing 2900 with single digit SD and ES. Also a 162 ELD doing just under 3200 with single digit SD and ES. Both shoot great. The 162’s group a tad better. Shot the best 5 round group ever with it this past weekend off of a bipod and rear bag.

I'd wish you good luck, but it does not look like you are not gonna need it The 180 ELDs have been killer for us in four different rifles at a mile starting them between 2,970 and 3,075 fps. I bet your results will be similar. Looking forward to your report on the 162's at distance as well.

-Robert

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
                        At what distance was the 5 round group shot at. Appears to be some dang good shootin.

That was just at 100 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                          I'd wish you good luck, but it does not look like you are not gonna need it The 180 ELDs have been killer for us in four different rifles at a mile starting them between 2,970 and 3,075 fps. I bet your results will be similar. Looking forward to your report on the 162's at distance as well.

-Robert

I’ll report back. At 820 yards the 162’s were grouping slightly better than the 180s were. But not by much. I suspect put past 1,000 is where I will start to see the 180’s shine.

Comment

Originally posted by hoythitman View Post
                            That was just at 100 yards.

Still some dang good shootin.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ahlongslide View Post
                              Nice rig and great shooting! I moved from Georgia to Texas last year. In GA I had several properties that I could get to a mile and beyond, but I haven’t found a reasonably priced place close to me in Texas yet. It’s so much more open and flat here near Houston that I’m bound to find a place eventually. I miss it though, long range is so fun. Good luck this weekend!

Yeah I don’t know of any places out towards Houston. But Valdina Ranch has a place you can stay on site. It’s not crazy expensive either. Targets out past 4,000 yards if you’ve got the equipment for it. LOL. Someday I want to build one of those.

Comment

Working...
                              X