No announcement yet.

My friend just took off for Everest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He will have an experience he will never forget. I have been to Everest from the Nepal side. Did the same hike as in "Into Thin Air". Climbed a mountain on the other side of the river from Everest called Kala Patar [ I think that spelling. Been a few years }

I have aways been interested in going back via Tibet plus a number of other countries in the area but alas its pretty intense and best suited to the young.

Comment

That stuff is no joke. My brother did McKinley a few years back, and 1 guy in his party lost a couple of fingers to frostbite. A few weeks later, a Japanese expedition was completely wiped out by an avalanche in a route everyone takes.

Even if you're the absolute best climber on Planet Earth, there is still a huge amount of risk you simply cannot manage. The mortality rate on world-class climbers is incredibly high.

But hats off to those that have that as a life goal and actually do it. Not for me.

Comment

That would be an awesome adventure. Base camp would be far enough for me. Don't care to spend 100k to risk life and limb. But that country would certainly be worth the trip

Comment

Great read about a guy from NOLA who climbed Everest in 2012.

Sherpa took off with his oxygen, goggles fogged up causing him to go blind, and his climbing partner died 150 ft before the summit.

http://www.myneworleans.com/New-Orle...th-of-Everest/

Comment

Good luck to your friend. I will be praying for his safety.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
              He will have an experience he will never forget. I have been to Everest from the Nepal side. Did the same hike as in "Into Thin Air". Climbed a mountain on the other side of the river from Everest called Kala Patar [ I think that spelling. Been a few years }

I have aways been interested in going back via Tibet plus a number of other countries in the area but alas its pretty intense and best suited to the young.
              The legend of El Gato grows. You sir seem to have lived a great life filled with adventures and big bucks. You're "a year in the life of the farm" thread is the best on TBH.

Comment

good luck to him, will be back for updates

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post

Sherpa took off with his oxygen, goggles fogged up causing him to go blind, and his climbing partner died 150 ft before the summit.

Very interesting read, thanks for sharing.

Comment

How did his trip turn out???
                    I just got this email from Global Rescue and it reminded me of this thread.

Comment

I always wondered what they do with all the garbage that the event generates.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post

Wow, that is a crazy story! I may have to read more into the Everest stories!

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                          I have no desire to risk my life climbing a frozen mountain

But I appreciate the will and determination of those that do

Good luck and safe travels to your friend
                          X2

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                            I hit a buddy of mine up today to see about going to shoot some clays and he said he wouldn’t be able to until next month. With kids and work that didn’t surprise me, but then he says he’s going to Tibet. I know what time of year this is in Tibet so I asked if he was going to Everest and he said yes! What the heck?! You don’t just take off to freakin Everest without telling folks! I’m excited for him, I would definitely like to check it out some day. I think he is only going to Base Camp with an opportunity to try for Camp 1 or something, but I bet he tries for the summit in a future trip. I’ve read enough about it to know it gets in your blood and you can’t think about anything else. Crazy. I will post pics if he sends me any.

He has to be back by now!!! Come on with the pics or story at least!

Comment

I once climbed Mt. Driskill. It was way cheaper than Everest and close enough.

Comment

Got a friend that is going too. Probably the same friend you have. Can't be that many going to climb everest.

Comment

Working...
                                X