plastic or feather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plastic or feather

I'm sure this question has been asked a lot...I have been shooting a compound bow for several years... I got my first Traditional bow this weekend for fathers day... Not sure about arrow set up... What is better feathers, or solid plastic fletching's?

feathers

Comment

Feathers!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
        Feathers!

Bisch
        We all use what Bisch uses . Feathers. Arvin

Comment

The only people I see using vanes with trad bows are using a rest of some kind for clearance. Most of use shoot off the shelf so we use feathers.

Comment

I agree with all above. Feathers. As Jerp stated above, unless you are using a fancy rest or so thing of the sort, you really have to use feathers. The hard plastic vanes will hit the shelf and cause the back of the arrow to bounce off the shelf. Feathers on the other hand will lay flat as they glide over the same area then come back to shape in flight.

I hope that helps explain what and why we use them.

Comment

Feathers of course are easier to shoot off the shelf, but you should be tuning for complete fletch clearance at pass, and if/when that is achieved you can use whatever fletch you want to use.

I prefer the look of feathers, but for me the durability & performance of plastic vanes override the visual appeal of the feathers.

Some of my bows I have had to modify the shelf to achieve that clearance. Some I have not needed to modify. I shot vanes off the shelf of all my Blackwidow bows without having to make any modifications.

I tune every bow I shoot to achieve that complete fletch clearance at pass.

Even when shooting with feathers you will notice a better tune, and better resulting consistency in your shooting if you take the time to do this.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                Feathers of course are easier to shoot off the shelf, but you should be tuning for complete fletch clearance at pass, and if/when that is achieved you can use whatever fletch you want to use.

I prefer the look of feathers, but for me the durability & performance of plastic vanes override the visual appeal of the feathers.

Some of my bows I have had to modify the shelf to achieve that clearance. Some I have not needed to modify. I shot vanes off the shelf of all my Blackwidow bows without having to make any modifications.

Even when shooting with feathers you will notice a better tune, and better resulting consistency in your shooting if you take the time to do this.

Rick
                Agreed, but a brand new trad guy who don't know **** from shinola yet on how to tune a trad bow, has no business messing with plastic vanes. He will have a whole other pile of stuff to learn before he gets to that point!

JMHO!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                  Agreed, but a brand new trad guy who don't know **** from shinola yet on how to tune a trad bow, has no business messing with plastic vanes. He will have a whole other pile of stuff to learn before he gets to that point!

JMHO!

Bisch
                  I agree with you also. I point to this stuff more as indication of the importance in tuning than anything else.

I believe ill tuning is the #1 detriment to an archers accuracy & consistancy. Learning to properly tune should be at the top of the to do list, and when done it alleviates countless frustrations, especially for a beginner.

Rick

Comment

Ohhhhh that's why I miss. I ll get on ir right away. Lol Arvin

Comment

Some days my bow is super tuned... most days, not so much

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                        Some days my bow is super tuned... most days, not so much

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post

Rick

What brand and size vanes do you use Rick?

BTW Paul Schafer shot off a rest with plastic vanes.

Comment

I've found that vanes work better off the shelf if you turn the cock vane in - which is in itself a form of tuning. I usually shoot feathers, but keep some vanes around for wet weather.

I agree with Mr. Barbee about tuning, but if you're new to traditional shooting, even with compound experience, your first goal should be to develop a consistent shot. You can't tune anything well until you have a consistent shot. One you have that you can tune to your heart's content, but you can't tune anything if your shot is erratic.
                            Last edited by Fuzzy Dog; 06-22-2015, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Well fuzzy dog that leaves me out. Consistently . Arvin

Comment

Working...
                              X