ethics question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ethics question

IMO trad folks have very high hunting ethics. Just comes with choosing a "primitive" wepon over comfort and technology. so here is what i got.

I have been chasing a DinoGar all summer. Thats an alagator gar that could possiably break 200 pounds. Each week the water level drops and i get closer to him. Time is getting short though. with bow(and dove) season approaching im starting to get a little jumpy. it is trapped in a low part of the river and cant leave until the water level comes up. I have found out that a rod fisherman has also located the beast. he fishes during the week as he is retired and i can only fish one day/night a week.

I had a buddy suggest to use a large hook tied to 10 pound monofiliment and attatched to a small water bottle. IF the dino gar took the bait he would then be MARKED and could be located. the river is low but still offers a quarter mile of water to hide in.

Questions:
    1. Is this ethical?
    2. Would it be considered a bow kill?

Kinda confused on this one.

Sure, it'd be a bow kill but kinda stinks for the fish to have to swim around with a hook in its mouth toting a water bottle. Plus, what if some other fish, gator, turtle takes the bait.

I'm not overly concerned with other people's ethics, but it does seem a little irresponsible.

If you do stick it, make sure to show us pics though

Comment

I have no idea as to the answer to your question, but just wanted to say I'm impressed that you are trying hard to do the "right" thing. Good on you.
      I hope you get a great reply.

Comment

I would say that's for you to decide with yourself. Would you consider trapping a hog in a round pen and shooting it with your bow a "bow kill" probably not. Sounds like your just hung up on whether you can call it bowfishing or not.

Comment

Is it legal??? I have no idea about that kind of stuff. But if it is legal and is NOT hurting anyone else, then I am all for you going about it that way. HOWEVER, I would NOT do so personally, archery is about the hunt, and trad especially. It is about those days on the water that you have, that one day a week that you look forward to so much each time, trying to match whits with an ancient fish that has been in that river for many many years. It is that journey that is what gets you fired up to get out there, it is that journey that life is all about. Not just hunting, but in business, marriages, and fitness. It's that journey that shapes a man into the person that they become. This gar is your next promotion at work or your personal record mile run time, it is your big buck that alludes you every year....

This answer is really an answer about how you see things when you look in the mirror OR it is just another fish on the bank with lots of LDP on the GS. Really up to you, how deep you want to take it. If you want this "dino gar" on the bank, then use whatever means is necessary within the law...but I wouldn't, but then again I think too much.

Good luck with it either way, go get em.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
            Sure, it'd be a bow kill but kinda stinks for the fish to have to swim around with a hook in its mouth toting a water bottle. Plus, what if some other fish, gator, turtle takes the bait.

I'm not overly concerned with other people's ethics, but it does seem a little irresponsible.

If you do stick it, make sure to show us pics though

thats the reason for the 10 pound test, it would break easy if it didnt work. as far as the hook goes its no different than having one break the line on a fishing pole.

Comment

shoot the fish!

Comment

I doubt its legal. You first can't catch a fish then attach a float and release it to find the school. There's a law against this and what you described is pretty much the same thing. But if you set a jug-line and used it to haul him in that would be legal. jmo

Sounds a lot like you got him hi-fenced...

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                  Is it legal??? I have no idea about that kind of stuff. But if it is legal and is NOT hurting anyone else, then I am all for you going about it that way. HOWEVER, I would NOT do so personally, archery is about the hunt, and trad especially. It is about those days on the water that you have, that one day a week that you look forward to so much each time, trying to match whits with an ancient fish that has been in that river for many many years. It is that journey that is what gets you fired up to get out there, it is that journey that life is all about. Not just hunting, but in business, marriages, and fitness. It's that journey that shapes a man into the person that they become. This gar is your next promotion at work or your personal record mile run time, it is your big buck that alludes you every year....

This answer is really an answer about how you see things when you look in the mirror OR it is just another fish on the bank with lots of LDP on the GS. Really up to you, how deep you want to take it. If you want this "dino gar" on the bank, then use whatever means is necessary within the law...but I wouldn't, but then again I think too much.

Good luck with it either way, go get em.
                  Well, after reading this i have made my mind up. i live with a bow in my hand and if i cant get him with an arrow alone the he deserves to go on another year. i was kinda comparing this to hunting over a feeder. that was my justification at least, if i cant go to him have him come to me. only porblem was that it didnt feel right. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

IMO if you are asking the question then I think you already have the answer-you will always have the * next to it in your mind. I say just keep trying and hope you get him first.

Comment

Looks like a was a bit late but I think you made the right decision.
                      GOOD LUCK and of course post pics ifyou get him.

Comment

Good point Thumper. i dont plan on breaking any laws.

Comment

Looks like its gona be another long friday night!

Comment

Where is your bow involved to make this a bow-kill?

Quote: I had a buddy suggest to use a large hook tied to 10 pound monofiliment and attatched to a small water bottle. IF the dino gar took the bait he would then be MARKED and could be located. the river is low but still offers a quarter mile of water to hide in.

Comment

Just go shoot him!! But I would take backup usually takes at least 2 arrows and sometimes 3 lines is a lot better! You can't do much most of the time with one line. Lost 2 over 7 ft last week because couldn't get backup in them.

lots of big gar getting shot in oxbows right now. I missed one over 200 today on the lake and pulled out of one over 250 last month. Just got to keeP after them. Come go with us during the day or we can go shoot buffs at night out of the airboat. We been shootin lots of big needle nose during the day up to .40 lbs. you welcome any time.

Comment

Working...
                              X