dogs around feeder area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
    I haven't seen dogs since on mine either, now pigs have overrun it so I put up a 2nd feeder in a tree nearby. I believe they have moved to it now but either way, need to cull some of them or all.

Still none for me either! Best of luck this season. Our pigs are bad as well, just gotta weed through them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Doggone.

Comment

I would t shoot a dog for strolling through or even chasing a deer

But if one decides to growl or get aggressive with me I am shooting it no questions asked

Comment

dogs

We hunt on a sheep ranch. Land owner has dogs out there.
          Attached Files

Comment

NaClH2O_therapy have y'all seen a change in the deer numbers or any effects on the deer with the dogs? Our place has them and we aren't seeing as many deer. It may be from all the late rains we've had.

Comment

From what I have noticed. Deer hang around the area more with less disturbance. Whether that disturbance is cows or dogs it still is a disturbance. All the places I hunt have cows but one year this place I hunted had to remove the cows. That was the best year ever for seeing deer. Hogs will run deer out of an area as well. The less hogs, cows, or dogs you have running around the more deer you will keep on your land. All that said, I still kill plenty of deer with those 'disturbances' around.

Comment

I had two Dobermans run a deer past me opening weekend, then hang around the feeder before trying to run up my lane past me deeper into our property. I yelled at them and they finally took off. It was annoying, but it was obvious they were someone’s dogs. I didn’t consider shooting them, and I wouldn’t shoot one unless it was aggressive towards me.

Comment

Originally posted by westexhunter75 View Post
                  NaClH2O_therapy have y'all seen a change in the deer numbers or any effects on the deer with the dogs? Our place has them and we aren't seeing as many deer. It may be from all the late rains we've had.
                  I haven't seen them (dogs) at my feeders during a hunt, I have come across them on the roads driving to and from blinds. And those hunts that they were in the area we did see deer (mostly does).
                  I have 3 separate days with trail cam pics of these dogs near my feeders, and deer on camera the same day, and the following days, so I can't say they are effecting the deer activity.
                  If they show up during a hunt, I would use my slingshot and steel bb's that I have always kept in my hunting bag to scare them off. Which has always worked on previous leases on cows, but I found out last weekend does not work on sheep at my new place. Had to get out of the blind and throw rocks to make the sheep leave. I'm just hoping the deer on our place are used to the dogs, since they are always there.

Comment

My only encounter with Great Pyrenees has been good. There are 2 (sometimes 3) that hang around east Parker County. Someone about a mile from me had "owned" them for a while but could not keep them in their fence. But they came by my house and were very friendly. I see them from time to time wandering over a several mile area near where I live.

Comment

Originally posted by Efren View Post
                      Shoot them with a BB gun.
                      Thinking rock salt

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                      In Texas, you cannot shoot a dog just for being on your property.
                      You cannot even shoot a dog for chasing deer on your property. It is considered felony animal cruelty.

Just a reminder for all the TBHers that like shooting dogs.
                      Hmm … never knew this so looked it up (https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/D....42.htm#42.092)

Wondering if a good lawyer could leverage the portion under F as a defense .. would depend on the county.

Sec. 42.092. CRUELTY TO NONLIVESTOCK ANIMALS.
                      2) "Animal" means a domesticated living creature, including any stray or feral cat or dog, and a wild living creature previously captured. The term does not include an uncaptured wild living creature or a livestock animal.

(f) It is an exception to the application of this section that the conduct engaged in by the actor is a generally accepted and otherwise lawful:
                      (1) form of conduct occurring solely for the purpose of or in support of:
                      (A) fishing, hunting, or trapping; or
                      (B) wildlife management, wildlife or depredation control, or shooting preserve practices as regulated by state and federal law; or

Comment

Originally posted by awry View Post

Hmm … never knew this so looked it up (https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/D....42.htm#42.092)

Wondering if a good lawyer could leverage the portion under F as a defense .. would depend on the county.

Sec. 42.092. CRUELTY TO NONLIVESTOCK ANIMALS.
                        2) "Animal" means a domesticated living creature, including any stray or feral cat or dog, and a wild living creature previously captured. The term does not include an uncaptured wild living creature or a livestock animal.

(f) It is an exception to the application of this section that the conduct engaged in by the actor is a generally accepted and otherwise lawful:
                        (1) form of conduct occurring solely for the purpose of or in support of:
                        (A) fishing, hunting, or trapping; or
                        (B) wildlife management, wildlife or depredation control, or shooting preserve practices as regulated by state and federal law; or
                        We had a multi year issue with the neighbors dogs running our deer. We discussed with the owners, followed up multiple times over a few year stretch, nothing changed. Next consulted the local LEO and complained. Made sure to keep detailed notes.

Came to a head when they were seen chasing one of our B&C bucks. Two of the three didn’t make it past that morning. GW and the Lone Star Law crew came to investigate. Was determined that the neighbors had been given sufficient notice and nothing was done. Neighbors tried to retaliate and it ended them up in court and later a conviction.

In the OP’s situation, this drastic of a response obviously would fly, but, never say never.

Comment

Originally posted by greenheadless View Post

in the op’s situation, this drastic of a response obviously wouldn’t fly, but, never say never.
                          ***edit*** ^^^^^^^

Comment

Working...
                          X