Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2010 Lampasas 9 pt.

Opening weekend, 2010.

Time, planning and hard work all year to wake up on opening day to find the wind is wrong for the blind…………..nightmare! Unfortunately this was the situation I found myself in this year. So after looking at the weather for the 50th time hoping that it was going to miraculously change, we discussed options. Wait until we have the right wind hoping the deer wouldn’t be taken by the neighboring ranch or get in there late on Friday night and setup a secondary blind and try to get on this deer. Glad to tell everyone that we decided on the latter. The problem with the second blind is that it’s about 40 yards, based on the closet brush we could put the blind in, away from the feeder so the chances of the deer coming close enough for a good shot are slim. Saturday morning we got up and got ready, like I always do I check the wind to make sure the last weather report is still correct. To our surprise, the wind was actually completely different and perfect for our original stand. It was on now! Emotions, expectations and confidence where high knowing I’d be hunting out of the perfect setup. As I sat in the blind, deer starting trickling in right before light. After 45 minutes or so, he showed himself and headed right for the feeder. I was ready, unfortunately he didn’t want to play my bow hunting game. He walked straight in, turned to his left and followed a doe into the woods. That was it, buck was gone and the hunt was over.

For the evening hunt, the wind had switched back to the NE so I was forced to hunt in the pop up we put in Friday night. The hunt was a good one, I had about 11 deer at the feeder from the time it went off until dark. My 9 pt was there for a few hours but never came close enough for a good shot. New plan, for Sunday morning we talked about turning the feeder time down. Moved it down to a few seconds in hopes a couple skin heads would clear out the feeder corn and the bucks would make their way to my hand corn. I think the plan might of worked, but he decided to sleep in Sunday morning.

Ok, now I’m down to the last hunt of the weekend and need to get it done. New plan, decided to turn the feeder off completely and just tail gate and throw hand corn out in the area I needed it. This way the deer still hear a feeder noise but the corn is all in my shooting area. Just like Saturday evening, I had a ton of animals in front of me and it looked like my plan was going to work. Now I just needed my buck to show. After about an hour or so, my buck still hadn’t showed. Was starting to think someone else might of shot him since he didn’t show in the morning either. Not two seconds after the self pity set in, there he was and headed my way. I was pumped and ready. He definitely took his sweet time getting into range, chasing off bucks as he walked in. About 20 minutes before dark, he finally gave me a slightly quartering away shot. The arrow flew and the deer was mine.

Already looking forward to the next hunt!!!

As always, thanks Shrek (krivoman) for the opportunity!!!
    Attached Files

Way to start the season! Congrats!

Comment

Great write up, pics and buck! congrats!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Way to go!

Comment

Great buck

Comment

Sounds like a great hunt, thanks for sharing

Comment

Congrats on the great buck!

Comment

Congrats again. Thank you for actually shooting the deer I picked out for you this year.

You also forgot that I had to almost drag you to the ranch because the wind was wrong and you did not think it would work out. I knew where this deer lived, and knew where he would be coming from and leaving too. That blind went in smooth for a 11pm night before deer season install. Glad I spent 20 minutes washing the blind down at the house so that it would not smell at all.

Next up to bat is LowTec. He will be in the hot seat this weekend.

MarkV, this is the deer me and you saw last year on your cull hunt. He went from a 10 to a 9. I aged him at 6 last year, so he is a 7 year old deer this year. Very large bodied deer.

Comment

Great deer, with an elusive Strothers bow.

Comment

Nice buck!

Comment

Also, I gave this deer another year as we were very short on Rain last season and he was a little thin. But since he did not grow any this year with all the rain, and he dropped a point, he had to go. Plus there is a very Nice young 10 at this location that does not need to be pushed out.

So the reason you shoot big mature 9 points, is so that deer like this can eat.
                        If you notice, 9 point is Bogarding all the corn. Young 10 hovers around the outside.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	9 and 10 a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	23955889

Name:	9 and 10 b.jpg
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	23955890

Name:	9 and 10.jpg
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	23955891

Better pics of the 4 year old 10.

Name:	10 point.jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	23955892

Name:	10 point a.jpg
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	23955893

So far all the neighbors except for one have signed off on letting the 10 walk. Good chance he will make it. But not 100% At least the beast at the feeder is gone so he might actually be in charge. I got 2 more cull/management bucks that need to go that might try to claim top dog of this area. Plan on addressing that in 2 weeks.

Comment

Big congrats Sean!! I'm so glad it all came together and the hard work paid off! Now I will ask you what Mitch asked me. Now what are you going to do for the next 3 months???

Comment

Nice buck, congrats

Comment

Congrats! Great looking deer.

Comment

Working...
                              X