Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't Lake Benbrook have a spring turkey season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why doesn't Lake Benbrook have a spring turkey season?

Alright, I needta vent about something. Here goes!

Anyone that hunts benbrook most likely knows this already, but for those that don't, Lake Benbrook has no spring turkey season.

I know Benbrook operates off a lottery system, which I believe is incredibly flawed in that it gives you two weeks to hunt either ducks/turkey/deer or dove. But that lottery system is for the fall only.
    I've been sandbass fishing out there a few times this spring, and there are no shortage of turkeys! Also, as per TPW regulations, Tarrant county has a spring turkey season.
    So recently, I called up there to ask as to why this is. The lady who answered the phone basically told me to read the rules, and if the rules didn't mention it, then it wasn't allowed. She was not very helpful to say the least, and to be quite honest, seemed annoyed that I was even asking questions.

So my question is, does anyone know why things are the way they are? I know a year ago, when my friend and I were drawn to hunt out there, that we had reported a poaching incident, with a man spotlighting and shooting deer at night near 377. The corps office told us "well that particular area is so far away from our office that we can't really control it like we should". I just don't find that to be an adequate response. In fact, I called up there recently asking about hog hunting regulations for Benbrook, and was told that archery only hog hunting was allowed without a permit. So I am unsure what to think really. I know this sort of thing is common with public land... but Im fairly frustrated by all this. Is it because they don't have enough funds to hire enough Corp land wardens? Or is it because they are lazy? I'd just like to have a justifiable reason as to why there isnt a season there, rather than be told "it is because the rules say so." My tax dollars are what fund this thing to begin with!

Does anyone know if there is a public official, or perhaps a congressman to email until I can get an answer as to why there is no spring season lottery for turkey? I'd greatly appreciate if anyone had some info!
    Last edited by Kirby86; 04-30-2013, 11:57 AM.

There are folks in the downtown Fort Worth COE office that control the COE properties. Call back to the lake and ask for the HMFIC in Fort Worth. If they won't give it to you, send me a PM.

Comment

The USACE Fort Worth District establishes the basic hunting rules and regulations for all the Corps lakes and land within that District. Each Lake Office establishes the specific rules and regulations for the particular lake and land under their authority. If I were you, I would call the Lake Office and ask to speak to the Hunting Program Manager or the Lake Manager.

Posted from Texasbowhunter.com App for Android

Comment

And you need to report poaching deer to TP&W on that project. They ca be there in less than 15 minutes. I can guarantee TP&W will take care of it even though it's federal land. There have been many people caught in the past poaching out there, from my conversations with TP&W wardens out there . I've been checked several times in the past while hunting out there by TP&W. Even had a Federal Warden out there one year . And of course, the Rangers too .

As for the rules, well, that is up to the District office, the project manager, and the hunting coordinator at each project. Each project is able to tailor it's rules to what they feel is adequate for it's project, just like TP&W dose with it's WMAs. Some ACE projects don't even had a deer season. And some don't have a hunting program at all (even though some did at one time).

There used to be a lot more area to hunt when I first started hunting out there. Eventually, the program will be phased out due to all the building going on around the lake. The city of Ft. Worth has annexed and incorporated all the way to 1187 several years ago.

I'm just thankful I have a place to go sometimes, when I now get drawn. There was a time when permits were 1st come, 1st served. And I dont' remeber if permits were needed when I was a child (1960s).
        Last edited by Texas Grown; 05-05-2013, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X