No announcement yet.

Nilgai Hunt Recap 2018&2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for sharing and congrats! Nilgai hunting is a lot of fun!

Comment

Bro, you have to be one of the luckiest sons of guns I've ever seen!!!
      Congrats on the slaughter!!

Comment

That’s a great hunt. Congrats on not having to buy meat for a year lol

Comment

hunt

man that is awesome! Just took my dad a month or so ago and he got a nice bull!!!!!! Congrats yall kicked *****

Comment

your dad sounds like my dad. Always one step ahead.
            Congrats

Comment

Nilgai

Sounds like a great hunt. Congrats!
              Originally posted by NotJose View Post
              I never got around to recapping my 2018 Nilgai hunt on the LRGV draw hunt. I was lucky enough to get drawn at East Lake along w/my dad and brother.

We scouted before the hunt and determined some possible spots to setup for my dad and I. My bro decided to just wing it. Well that lucky son of a gun texts basically 20 min into our hunt...2 bulls down!! What??? OMG!! Dad and I hunted for about another hr. with not much action. Make our way to Jr., to help w/huge task of butchering to big bulls. Game cart plum full and each Jr and I having our packs loaded down. It was a chore to say the least!!
              The next morning we kinda got rained out, thankfully were able to sleep in. Later that day we hiked in. And soon came to abrupt stop where I spotted 2 bulls feeding. 1 young bull and 1 dark stud bull. I tried to setup and take a quick shot, but couldn’t see in my scope. Turns out my eye relief was opened up all the way. Bulls see us and break away. I’m dejected. There was my chance at a huge trophy blue bull. Just sick...
              We hunt all day and don’t see anything else.
              Last morning hunt we spot a bull and I instantly drop to prone and ask my bro for a range. Says 125, and I say I don’t think that’s correct. Reranges and says my bad 335. Dial up, put cross hairs on him. Boom down, stands up and tries to run. One more Barnes down range and we have a bull down!!!

Young Bull, but my first so definitely take him!!

Awesome trip!! Came back w/coolers full and wonderful memories!!

So I never in my wildest dreams did I think I draw another hunt, but I drew and East Lake again!! Unreal!! This time it would be my brother Jr,Dad,and my best bud Stu.

Loaded for the trip down south.

Hot Hot weekend

The only smart guy on this trip. Hahaha, dad doesn’t drink. The rest of us got hammered the night before the hunt. We are idiots!! Well we make the property to hunt. I take Stu w/me to show some spots before splitting. We see some white tail and some Nilgai cows, but no shot opportunity. Stu walks off and sees some more game, but no shot.

Yep still drunk!
              Jr and Dad don’t see anything. We eventually head out for lunch. Evening hunt I still hunt to just about 30 min til dark, I see some movement. I pic up nocs and it’s a bull. Can’t make out what caliber of bull. But here anything is a trophy. I setup and look thru scope, but I’ve lost sight of him. Did my chance just slip away?? Eventually I see a tiny dark spot of moves behind a tree. It’s him. No shot I need him to move and light is fading fast. Gradually he starts coming out into opening 313yds. Turns for broadside for less than a second, then slightly quartered. I put crosshairs high shoulder and squeeze off. Immediately chamber another round in my 7mag and look for a running bull as they can take lead well. Thankfully I find flopping legs in my scope!! I stay trained on him in case he lifts up. Within seconds it’s done!! I give 10 or so minutes before I walk up. Having no idea what type of bull. And walk up to this beast!!!

I’m blown away!! It’s like redemption from previous yr.!! So unbelievably thankful.
              Well as you guys may know, this is where the hard work begins. Shot at about 6:10 and finally eating at hotel well after 11. Ouch

This lil rattler struck at my dad as we hiked out, luckily did not connect.
              Last day. Jr sets under a shade tree. He has been under the weather a bit. So he was hacking. And this drinking a lot of water. During one of these coughing fits, he realizes he has to take another leak. Well no sooner had he tucked back up, turns back and spots a bull at 40 yds!!! No comprehending how it never heard or saw him, jeez what a lucky guy. Waits for bull to turn broadside,squeeze of the 270 aimed high shoulder. Done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow, congrats.

Comment

That’s awesome!!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Heck yea. Congrats to you guys on some great hunts

Comment

Awesome memories. Great write up bro.

Comment

Great write up thanks

Comment

how cool!

Comment

Next year when I apply I am going to bring you my application so you can hit the submit button!!! Another great hunt and you killed a monster. Congrats

Comment

hunt

Originally posted by NotJose View Post
                                I never got around to recapping my 2018 Nilgai hunt on the LRGV draw hunt. I was lucky enough to get drawn at East Lake along w/my dad and brother.

We scouted before the hunt and determined some possible spots to setup for my dad and I. My bro decided to just wing it. Well that lucky son of a gun texts basically 20 min into our hunt...2 bulls down!! What??? OMG!! Dad and I hunted for about another hr. with not much action. Make our way to Jr., to help w/huge task of butchering to big bulls. Game cart plum full and each Jr and I having our packs loaded down. It was a chore to say the least!!
                                The next morning we kinda got rained out, thankfully were able to sleep in. Later that day we hiked in. And soon came to abrupt stop where I spotted 2 bulls feeding. 1 young bull and 1 dark stud bull. I tried to setup and take a quick shot, but couldn’t see in my scope. Turns out my eye relief was opened up all the way. Bulls see us and break away. I’m dejected. There was my chance at a huge trophy blue bull. Just sick...
                                We hunt all day and don’t see anything else.
                                Last morning hunt we spot a bull and I instantly drop to prone and ask my bro for a range. Says 125, and I say I don’t think that’s correct. Reranges and says my bad 335. Dial up, put cross hairs on him. Boom down, stands up and tries to run. One more Barnes down range and we have a bull down!!!

Young Bull, but my first so definitely take him!!

Awesome trip!! Came back w/coolers full and wonderful memories!!

So I never in my wildest dreams did I think I draw another hunt, but I drew and East Lake again!! Unreal!! This time it would be my brother Jr,Dad,and my best bud Stu.

Loaded for the trip down south.

Hot Hot weekend

The only smart guy on this trip. Hahaha, dad doesn’t drink. The rest of us got hammered the night before the hunt. We are idiots!! Well we make the property to hunt. I take Stu w/me to show some spots before splitting. We see some white tail and some Nilgai cows, but no shot opportunity. Stu walks off and sees some more game, but no shot.

Yep still drunk!
                                Jr and Dad don’t see anything. We eventually head out for lunch. Evening hunt I still hunt to just about 30 min til dark, I see some movement. I pic up nocs and it’s a bull. Can’t make out what caliber of bull. But here anything is a trophy. I setup and look thru scope, but I’ve lost sight of him. Did my chance just slip away?? Eventually I see a tiny dark spot of moves behind a tree. It’s him. No shot I need him to move and light is fading fast. Gradually he starts coming out into opening 313yds. Turns for broadside for less than a second, then slightly quartered. I put crosshairs high shoulder and squeeze off. Immediately chamber another round in my 7mag and look for a running bull as they can take lead well. Thankfully I find flopping legs in my scope!! I stay trained on him in case he lifts up. Within seconds it’s done!! I give 10 or so minutes before I walk up. Having no idea what type of bull. And walk up to this beast!!!

I’m blown away!! It’s like redemption from previous yr.!! So unbelievably thankful.
                                Well as you guys may know, this is where the hard work begins. Shot at about 6:10 and finally eating at hotel well after 11. Ouch

This lil rattler struck at my dad as we hiked out, luckily did not connect.
                                Last day. Jr sets under a shade tree. He has been under the weather a bit. So he was hacking. And this drinking a lot of water. During one of these coughing fits, he realizes he has to take another leak. Well no sooner had he tucked back up, turns back and spots a bull at 40 yds!!! No comprehending how it never heard or saw him, jeez what a lucky guy. Waits for bull to turn broadside,squeeze of the 270 aimed high shoulder. Done

sent ya a PM

Comment

Working...
                                X