Austin homeless problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
    Some time ago, I was challenged with studying the "homeless migration patterns" of Houston homeless. I met with a high up at the Star of Hope that broke it down this way. There are essentially 3 sets of homeless. 1. Down on their luck folks that can get into a facility and hopefully get back on their feet. 2. Those addicted to drugs and alcohol that live on the street because they get kicked out of facilities. And 3. The feral homeless that are mostly crazy. I tend to think that a 4th group popped up in the past decade of so, and is mostly the able bodied and can work, they just chose not to.

On of the big issues in California and now bleeding over to Austin. Is that it costs a lot of money and time to put homes on the ground. So very little entry level homes get built.
    Well said!! I agree 100%

Comment

I don't think it's as complicated as so many want to make it out to be. The problem is none of these politicians or civic leaders want to openly identify the true causes of homelessness. You know, when a problem needs to be solved; typically, one must first identify what truly is causing said problem. The politicians refuse to do so.

They blame, lack of opportunity, lack of housing, jobs, etc.; which is what most of these wasteful programs focus on.

The real issues are addiction and mental illness. Sure, there is a certain percentage of homeless that really are folks down on their luck and just need some propping up, but let's be honest; those folks are the minority of homeless people.

The addicts don't want to work and will never work as long as just enough is provided on the streets. Free housing only gives them a place to sleep and does nothing to change their habits. Providing job opportunities for people that can't stay clean and pass a drug test does nothing. The only solution is to force these people into rehabilitation programs to cure them of their addictions. Until mandatory type measures are implemented to force these people to clean up, nothing will change. As stated, you can push them out off one street or area, but they will eventually just congregate somewhere else. Destroying camps and making these people move does not address the real problem either.

Honestly, I don't think the politicians want to solve the homeless problems.

Comment

And forced rehab rarely works.

Comment

Originally posted by Barrett View Post
          So you do not have a solution even though you stated someone would be stupid not to see a solution. Gotcha!
          Don't tell me what I think because you have absolutely no idea.
          I do see it as a problem because I have to look at these ugly camps on roadside and I do have to pay for their ER visits etc. and so do you. We pay for the medical services to treat their overdoses so don't act like you are so high and mightily removed from the situation.
          I did say the solution and so did you. Stop paying for their medical. Don't let them camp on the roadside.

Comment

Pretty simple... take away the "incentives" for being homeless... You want "entitlements"? get a job and work for them... Food Stamps and Welfare are NOT entitlements. They are gubment give-aways... Social Security and Medi-Care are entitlements because we PAY FOR THEM!!! Those who do not pay in, should not get anything from them. It really is that simple. It is amazing what a little famine and cold/hot will do for motivation. NO ONE "NEEDS" a cell phone, TV with Cable, cigarettes, etc. Yet, you watch almost any TV clip of "the homeless or "disadvantaged", You see at least 2 of the three... plus other things many folks in third world countries would literally die for the chance to work for in order to get...
            Last edited by SaltwaterSlick; 01-15-2020, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
              I don't think it's as complicated as so many want to make it out to be. The problem is none of these politicians or civic leaders want to openly identify the true causes of homelessness. You know, when a problem needs to be solved; typically, one must first identify what truly is causing said problem. The politicians refuse to do so.

They blame, lack of opportunity, lack of housing, jobs, etc.; which is what most of these wasteful programs focus on.

The real issues are addiction and mental illness. Sure, there is a certain percentage of homeless that really are folks down on their luck and just need some propping up, but let's be honest; those folks are the minority of homeless people.

The addicts don't want to work and will never work as long as just enough is provided on the streets. Free housing only gives them a place to sleep and does nothing to change their habits. Providing job opportunities for people that can't stay clean and pass a drug test does nothing. The only solution is to force these people into rehabilitation programs to cure them of their addictions. Until mandatory type measures are implemented to force these people to clean up, nothing will change. As stated, you can push them out off one street or area, but they will eventually just congregate somewhere else. Destroying camps and making these people move does not address the real problem either.

Honestly, I don't think the politicians want to solve the homeless problems.
              I can agree to this.
              But the bolded does something. It takes whatever guilt people have and should eliminate it.

Addicts are Americans also. They have choices to make each day like we all do. I'm not saying to not help them if they really want help. But who are we to say they can't choose to stay an addict?
              I have a buddy that was an addict. He'd "sober" up enough to get a job for a while or do another stent in the Army. Then go right back to being homeless.

I'd wager most of the homeless could and would change if they had no other options. Which is why people should not be giving them money that enables them.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                Pretty simple... take away the "incentives" for being homeless... You want "entitlements"? get a job and work for them... Food Stamps and Welfare are NOT entitlements. They are gubment give-aways... Social Security and Medi-Care are entitlements because we PAY FOR THEM!!! Those who do not pay in, should not get anything from them. It really is that simple. It is amazing what a little famine and cold/hot will do for motivation. NO ONE "NEEDS" a cell phone, TV with Cable, cigarettes, etc. Yet, you watch almost any TV clip of "the homeless or "disadvantaged", You see at least 2 of the three... plus other things many folks in third world countries would literally die for the chance to work in order to get...

My brother brought up a good point. Imagine the sky rocket price of drugs and homeless people if/when a Dem gets elected that wants to start the 1,000 per month minimum living wage things.... It's going to get crazy!

And then the snowball builds fast because so many homeless and people on drugs that we just have to help!

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
                  Some time ago, I was challenged with studying the "homeless migration patterns" of Houston homeless. I met with a high up at the Star of Hope that broke it down this way. There are essentially 3 sets of homeless. 1. Down on their luck folks that can get into a facility and hopefully get back on their feet. 2. Those addicted to drugs and alcohol that live on the street because they get kicked out of facilities. And 3. The feral homeless that are mostly crazy. I tend to think that a 4th group popped up in the past decade of so, and is mostly the able bodied and can work, they just chose not to.

On of the big issues in California and now bleeding over to Austin. Is that it costs a lot of money and time to put homes on the ground. So very little entry level homes get built.
                  I was listening to a discussion of homelessness on a talk radio show a few years ago and a former homeless man called in to share his experience. He would be under #1 on your list. Just a few issues in a short amount of time landed him on the street and he ended up there 6 months or so. He said you do have the crazy people but they're a smaller percentage than you would think. Addicts were a larger group than the crazies but still nowhere near the majority. He said most of the people he met were either lazy (by their own admission) or just didn't like following the rules of society. Meaning they wouldn't keep a job because they don't want to work a schedule and have a boss tell them what to do. Plus, you can make more panhandling than you would a lower level hourly job. Most of those avoided churches or shelters as well because there would be a curfew or work hours to stay in them.

When I was in my early 20's we would always hand the homeless guys beer at the intersection of 45 and 1960 after we left the bar. Some of those same guys are still there 15 years later.

Comment

I’ll tell you what pizzes me off is when they push the stolen shopping baskets into the creek here...I would lock them dudes up on a trash detail if I could.

Comment

Hate that we try to manipulate a problem into one category - this or this. There is no one answer to the multiple reasons for homelessness.

Send a team, talk to the groups, get an idea of what is going on in your area, and go from there.

Comment

Our city has teams going out asking the homeless why they do not want to use the services that are available.

Comment

Originally posted by Barrett View Post
                          I do not believe in a fix all solution. I do not believe at all that every homeless person was brought to their situation the same either. I believe that our entitlement programs are counter productive and tend to aid those headed for homelessness. Giving out money and food with no prerequisites is absurd. I believe people should work for these things but implementing that is tough, although not impossible.
                          I really have no firm solution, but I also don't believe in ONE solution.
                          Stop It! You are starting to sound like a conservative now.
                          Gonna vote Trump in 2020?

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                            Hate that we try to manipulate a problem into one category - this or this. There is no one answer to the multiple reasons for homelessness.

Send a team, talk to the groups, get an idea of what is going on in your area, and go from there.
                            ok, you find a non-biased team to get answers.

We all know the city will send teams to get the answers they want.

Liberals always use the bleeding heart minority group in order to gain funds for the majority lazy group. Nearly every single time.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                              Stop It! You are starting to sound like a conservative now.
                              Gonna vote Trump in 2020?
                              Ive seen the light!!! Trump 2020!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post

^^^ And this is how we turn an otherwise solvable problem into an 'industry' that can only be 'addressed' (those on the left will claim) by creating an endless government bureaucracy which will only succeed in making the problem worse and infinitely more expensive. Because, of course, if they solve the problem, they have to find a new job.

Put the legitimately crazy back in the state hospitals, put the druggies back in jail, and kick the lazy ones into the shelters. If they refuse to go, then jail. Yes, it will be costly, but homeless encampments are a cancer on a civilization. Has to be stopped before it overtakes entire cities.

Comment

Working...
                                X