Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Being Your Own GC - New Home Build Questions...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
    The house I live in was GC'ed by the previous owner and he for all intents and purposes did not know what he was doing and his trades were not very good. My wife works for a home builder and she find weird stuff that was not done completely right all the time.

That’s what I fear. I can hire folks to do all kinds of stuff but it may not be worth a crap when I’m done. Going rate to build with a custom home builder is around 10% in Baton Rouge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
      That’s what I fear. I can hire folks to do all kinds of stuff but it may not be worth a crap when I’m done. Going rate to build with a custom home builder is around 10% in Baton Rouge.

It’s not glaring to the point to where I notice it, but I also don’t work in the construction industry. But once it’s pointed out you can’t not constantly see it. [emoji35]

As for the trade, I think the guy who did the tile was drunk or it was his first job because it was not quality work.

Comment

As someone who works in Construction do not sign the Subcontractors proposals they are written so that the risk falls on you. It might be helpful to search AIA documents and see if you can get an Owner’s contract and maybe even a subcontract, they need to be per Texas laws. Also for each trade prepare a scope of work and include it in any contract you have them sign, include a schedule and also list what their damages will be if they do not follow your contract.

Comment

I would not do it unless you really understand the process of how a Home is put together and how to punch it out really well. There is a lot of room to slip up that will lead to either visually displeasing work after all is said and done or, worse, very costly mistakes that aren’t realized I till after it’s too late.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
            It’s not glaring to the point to where I notice it, but I also don’t work in the construction industry. But once it’s pointed out you can’t not constantly see it. [emoji35]

As for the trade, I think the guy who did the tile was drunk or it was his first job because it was not quality work.

Decent chance on being drunk

Comment

Originally posted by brunner View Post
              Y’all are correct you can not GC your own home. Spoke to my banker. He shed a lot of light on his as well. Thank you all for your input and advice. I think it’s safe to say just hire a home builder

I am doing it right now no money "down" but had to have 20% in the bank for my share of the loan for the build. Lender would only lend 80% of the appraised value on a self build. But here is the rub 80% of the appraised value is way more than my cost to build so I had to have the cash but most likely won't need it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PEC View Post
                I have hired a GC to build, GC’d two and built one entirely myself. For the least hassle hiring a GC is general the way to go. Most money saved but most stressful was building myself. Being the GC was a good medium for stress and money saving. Being a GC does have aggravation. Getting subs to show up when you need them is always a hassle. Keep multiple subs for each craft waiting in the wings. There is a good was to work with a GC and have no hassle plus save some money. For one house we hired a GC but he did not charge a fee on any work I had done as long as it didn’t hold up the job. For instance I did electrical had family do the AC and flooring. His percentage was not put on those things.
                Did you catch any flak from the lender?

We want to start a home on some land we bought and would prefer to just get dried in and do the rest ourselves in order to save money. Between myself and good friends I have nearly every trade covered and just about get my labor for free from these guys.

My wife is near dead set on using a local bank but they act like its impossible to sign a construction loan and not have an entire bid/cost from a GC

Comment

Unless you're in the industry and/or have REALLY good sub contacts, I wouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                    Did you catch any flak from the lender?

We want to start a home on some land we bought and would prefer to just get dried in and do the rest ourselves in order to save money. Between myself and good friends I have nearly every trade covered and just about get my labor for free from these guys.

My wife is near dead set on using a local bank but they act like its impossible to sign a construction loan and not have an entire bid/cost from a GC
                    As mentioned above the regs changed a few years ago....and I am not sure if it was actually regs or they just made it tougher for someone to do themselves. I had the advantage of using the same lender for every build so they new I would get it done. I will say they did have to get approval for me to be the GC on the last build. Now for using a GC and me doing the work...what I did was have the GC submit cost with his bids listed then we just sub'd my work in the places we had already agreed upon. The bank just wants to know things are in order and you have everything covered. Just because a GC list subs(which they don't have to give names) doesn't mean that is who they have to use. I had a good friend do what you are looking to do....he used his money and a builder to get the house into the dry along with brick. Then he went to the bank for a home equity loan, which has less stipulations, to finish the house. Hope I answered your question.

Comment

Working...
                    X