Closed Thread
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-21-2018, 01:49 PM   #701
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by .243 WSSM View Post
10-4. Just wanted to see if you were paying attention
Always!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is online now   Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 01:50 PM   #702
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradtiger View Post
Speaking of being banned .... I just hate that one of our top defenders will be banned from playing the first half against Alabama due to a completely bogus "targeting" call. As if Bama needs first-half help. Not.

I'm sure that Coach O will turn the situation into a motivational-chip-on-the-shoulder positive to win one for the Gipper. I'm not necessarily saying the fix is in for Bama, but if I were a conspiracy theorist, I'd be looking around for the Terlingua shovel.
The targeting call needs to be fixed. I would not be shocked to see the SEC change how they call that penalty internally. Holding and pass interference are subjective calls that are called differently in different conferences and I can see targeting going the same way.
Dave is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 01:51 PM   #703
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Blake View Post
fify
Gotcha covered
BrandonA is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 01:53 PM   #704
RLB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comal County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The targeting call needs to be fixed. I would not be shocked to see the SEC change how they call that penalty internally. Holding and pass interference are subjective calls that are called differently in different conferences and I can see targeting going the same way.
We’ve got one sitting the first half for MSU this coming week also.....not to mention, The Ags are the most “targeting” penalized team in the country.
RLB is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 02:01 PM   #705
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLB View Post
We’ve got one sitting the first half for MSU this coming week also.....not to mention, The Ags are the most “targeting” penalized team in the country.
I'm not a fan of the rule, but Wilson's was legit (as was his previous one.) Renfro's was somewhat debatable, but hard to argue. I've only seen White's play on twitter via phone, but it looked like a cheap call, at best.

I wouldn't ordinarily care about LSU being "victimized" by such a call, but I REALLY want them to beat Bama. I've been leaning toward picking them in PickEm, but what little chance they may have had is definitely hampered by the loss of White for the half.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:17 PM   #706
Pin Oak DXT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wharton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I'm not a fan of the rule, but Wilson's was legit (as was his previous one.) Renfro's was somewhat debatable, but hard to argue. I've only seen White's play on twitter via phone, but it looked like a cheap call, at best.

I wouldn't ordinarily care about LSU being "victimized" by such a call, but I REALLY want them to beat Bama. I've been leaning toward picking them in PickEm, but what little chance they may have had is definitely hampered by the loss of White for the half.

I’m rooting for LSU too. I just don’t think Burrow can do enough at QB to score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pin Oak DXT is online now   Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 02:24 PM   #707
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post
I’m rooting for LSU too. I just don’t think Burrow can do enough at QB to score.

"rooting" may be a little strong!

Old 10-21-2018, 02:25 PM   #708
Birddog66
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Its the accidental/incidental contact that bothers me. In some cases their expecting big fast athletes to pull of a ballerina move in a split second to avoid contact.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Birddog66 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 02:30 PM   #709
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

I like the idea of Targeting 1 and a Targeting 2 like the NBA has for flagrant fouls. Color guy mentioned it yesterday.

Targeting 1 . Accidental ...5-10 yards... no suspension

Targeting 2 ... intent. Not accidental. 15 yards and 1/2 game suspension like it is now.
Smart is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 02:36 PM   #710
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
I like the idea of Targeting 1 and a Targeting 2 like the NBA has for flagrant fouls. Color guy mentioned it yesterday.

Targeting 2 ... intent. Not accidental. 15 yards and 1/2 game suspension like it is now.
They can already call Unnecessary roughness, roughing the passer, etc. for 15 with no suspension or "targeting" for penalty/suspension.

I believe I read they called it because the official deemed that he "launched", which I didn't see from the angle I viewed.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:36 PM   #711
2Lazy2P
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas/SE Oklahoma

Quote:

This would be better than what they currently have.
2Lazy2P is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 02:39 PM   #712
Brock Middlebrook
Pope & Young

No one is beating Bama. The only real contest is who gets to play them and get whipped in front of the Nation and claim the number 2 spot.

Bama 38
LSU 10

Brock Middlebrook is online now   Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 02:42 PM   #713
monsterspike
Eight Point

targeting is bogus all together. you cant judge a mans intentions, and to penalize an extra game is loony tunes. call a 15 yard personal foul and move on. no review garbage, no ejections, march it off and get the zebras out of the picture.
monsterspike is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 02:52 PM   #714
Chad C
Pope & Young

It appears there was no major losses taken on the bye. On to the next!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Chad C is online now   Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 02:57 PM   #715
RLB
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I’m with ya, I want Bama to lose, twice.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:05 PM   #716
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

The "launch" aspect of the LSU play is immaterial without the helmet contact, which clearly didn't happen. There can be no targeting without the helmet contact. White led with his hands.

Try this analogy: Bullet versus blank. Both have exploding powder; one doesn't hit anything.
tradtiger is online now   Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 03:24 PM   #717
RLB
Pope & Young

From an article last December regarding targeting:

“The AFCA's Berry said coaches are frustrated that players are ejected for targeting on plays in which they couldn't avoid the type of contact that got him flagged. An example, he said, is when a receiver jumps for a ball. As he comes down, he tends to curl up, and the defender can't get his head out of the way in that "bang-bang moment."

Redding said targeting wouldn't be called if the defender's contact was not forcible. Removing the ejection from the type of play Berry described was discussed, and dismissed, by the rules committee last year.

"The football committee and officiating community cannot be seen backing away from this rule," Redding said. "The game is still under attack. The rule has worked very well. The optics of backing away from this rule would be really terrible, so the committee is not in a mood to do that at all."”

So, they discussed it, but dismissed it. It won’t be long until they completely ruin the game.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:44 PM   #718
RLB
Pope & Young

This is funny......

https://youtu.be/fcsB13VeEtQ
Old 10-21-2018, 04:01 PM   #719
PYBUCK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Upton County

Quote:
Well I guess this means I need to stop herding RLB, CoolHandLuke, ETM and Brock..

And 243WSSM back when TCU was winning..
Thats a shame. It's so much fun to post something totally off the wall and see which one takes the bait first and if he got hooked in the lip or swalliwed the hook. I guess I'll just watch for a while.
PYBUCK is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 04:37 PM   #720
krisw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cass County

Quote:

How many have they had now? I was thinking a couple of weeks ago when y’all were saying that someone got flagged that the ags seemed to have a bunch of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradtiger View Post
The "launch" aspect of the LSU play is immaterial without the helmet contact, which clearly didn't happen. There can be no targeting without the helmet contact. White led with his hands.

Try this analogy: Bullet versus blank. Both have exploding powder; one doesn't hit anything.

You know the word launch is one of the qualifiers for the penalty. It’s in the rule.
Quote:

The sec doesn’t get to do that. The NCAA tells them how to call that penalty.

What’s bad is instanced like in the Tech-KU game. Guy is making a play on a taller wr who ducks his head. DB gone.
krisw is online now   Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 04:46 PM   #721
Casey
Administrator

Hunt In: Frio, Blanco Counties

This is not the way it reads. It doesn't require helmet contact.

No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (See Note 2 below) with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul (Rules 2-27-14 and 9-6). (A.R. 9-1-4-I-VI)
Note 1: "Targeting" means that a player takes aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball. Some indicators of targeting include but are not limited to:

Launch—a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area

A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground

Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area

Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet
Casey is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 04:51 PM   #722
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Del Rio

Then why wasn’t the Bama player ejected for the hit on the Tennessee qb?
CoolHandLuke is online now   Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 04:53 PM   #723
RLB
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
Are you kidding? Rules don’t apply to Nick Saban teams.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:00 PM   #724
.243 WSSM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
Quitter...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Wow
.243 WSSM is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 05:16 PM   #725
krisw
Pope & Young

Quote:
Are you kidding? Rules don’t apply to Nick Saban teams.

No kidding. What about that nonsense a couple of weeks ago with usc and washington state?
Old 10-21-2018, 05:36 PM   #726
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by .243 WSSM View Post
Wow
Kinda what I was thinking.....
eradicator is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 05:46 PM   #727
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Eradicator, how is that kids hand? I can imagine what would have peeled several layers of hide off his thumb on the sideline.
oktx is online now   Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 05:46 PM   #728
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, etc.

Purdue just scored again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Speedgoat is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 05:51 PM   #729
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisw View Post
The sec doesn’t get to do that. The NCAA tells them how to call that penalty.
The NCAA tell everyone how to call all penalties but you and I both know that they get called differently in each conference. Holding in the SEC is different than holding in the Big 12.
Dave is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 05:59 PM   #730
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktx View Post
Eradicator, how is that kids hand? I can imagine what would have peeled several layers of hide off his thumb on the sideline.
Haven't heard much honestly. Thanks for asking. It was a gutsy performance but I still think Robinson is the guy of the future. GP was fairly testy in post game presser He refused to address the QB situation........I guess we will know next week. Of note, GP has been calling for Collins to play for the last 3 weeks and Cumbie finally put him in this week. Now they are both hurt, lol
Old 10-21-2018, 06:06 PM   #731
krisw
Pope & Young

Quote:
The NCAA tell everyone how to call all penalties but you and I both know that they get called differently in each conference. Holding in the SEC is different than holding in the Big 12.

Player safety penalties don’t seem to get much leeway between conferences.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:17 PM   #732
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisw View Post
Player safety penalties don’t seem to get much leeway between conferences.
Are they really helping though?
Old 10-21-2018, 06:54 PM   #733
17ncs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fayette Co., Greene Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
My best guess is that when they reviewed it and did not confirm targeting it was going to be tough to eject him.
17ncs is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 07:24 PM   #734
Chad C
Pope & Young

Default 2018 College Football - Week 8

Texas gets the ever so slight prime time Road game odds at -2.5.

Both teams will have had two weeks to prep.

Does OSU change QB’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Chad C; 10-21-2018 at 07:33 PM.
Chad C is online now   Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 07:54 PM   #735
krisw
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
Are they really helping though?

In theory they probably are. At least as far as the ever popular head injury topic goes. We won’t know for years.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:09 PM   #736
17ncs
Pope & Young

Maybe the TBH CFP committee can provide able assistance to the TBH Targeting Intent committee on this one. If a rewrite of the rules before 11/3 is needed that's the group to get it done.

In the meantime, the avatar window is open for new participants.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:14 PM   #737
Pin Oak DXT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wharton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17ncs View Post
Maybe the TBH CFP committee can provide able assistance to the TBH Targeting Intent committee on this one. If a rewrite of the rules before 11/3 is needed that's the group to get it done.

In the meantime, the avatar window is open for new participants.

. It’s Saban’s world, we’re just living in it. There may be one horn on here that thinks they can beat Bama. Y’all know who he is and y’all know he is wrong. Just give it to them already!

Pin Oak DXT is online now   Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 06:32 AM   #738
17ncs
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post
. It’s Saban’s world, we’re just living in it. There may be one horn on here that thinks they can beat Bama. Y’all know who he is and y’all know he is wrong. Just give it to them already!

One game at a time.

BAMA looked pretty good but still allowed 235 yds through the air and had to punt twice with a new starting punter. For the second game in a row Tua played well but was not at the top of his game.
Closed Thread