Do this and you'll get broadside shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do this and you'll get broadside shots

I cannot take credit for what I'm about to say, and I'm sure many of you know about this technique already - but an older gentleman on my lease who has more bowhunting experience than I do taught me this - rest assured, it works very well and will cause deer to give you a perfect broadside shot presentation about 90% of the time:

Instead of broadcasting corn spread all over the place around your stand - spread a straight line away from your stand (approximately 4" wide) out to your maximum shooting distance. In other words, the corn will be in a straight line going away from you out if each of your shooting lanes.

The deer 90+% of the time will always eat perpendiclar to the line which automatically positions them in a perfect broadside presentation for you.
    Supposedly, the reason why they eat perpendicular to a line is because they don't want other deer swatting them on the head, or from behind when they have their head down on the corn. By eating perpendicular to the line, they cam see the other deer to their left and right.

I keep a 5 gallon home depot bucket with a lid under my stands half full of corn.
    When I get to my stand - before climbing up, i spread two 4" wide lines of corn starting 10 yards from my stand out to about 25 yards (the lines are perfectly centered in my shooting lanes). Everytime I have done this, the deer almost always prefer to eat the spread corn versus corn directly under/near the feeder, and they are broadside while they eat (usually broadside for minutes at a time, presenting a perfect shot).

Try it, you will love it if you're not doing it already. Trust me on this!

good info. Thanks!

Comment

We have been doing this for the last couple of years and works great.

Comment

Huh...whodathunkit!

Comment

That's really good information. I appreciate that!

Comment

very cool. never would have thought about that.

Comment

Most of the time I put my "trap corn" next to brush were the deer would have to be broadside to eat it. I will have to try it out. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Hand Line Corn

Here a pic!
                Attached Files

Comment

Nice advice, to put in your hunting tool box..

Comment

good info

Comment

This is coming from a guy who hasn't killed anything yet this year!

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Man, it's the little things that simplify. Great information and thanks for sharing.

Comment

The only thing that gave me fits with this was the overlapping of deer. When it was spread out, they spread out and there was less bumping.

Even worse when hunting on the ground.
                          Last edited by SwampRabbit; 11-04-2015, 12:06 PM.

Comment

That's a good tip. A good second trick to incorporate with that is to place stops a log or stump in your corn line. When the deer has its head down feeding next to the stomp his eyes are blocked from seeing you

Comment

Justus - get back to work!

Comment

Working...
                              X