Type 1 diabetic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Type 1 diabetic

Just curious if there were any type 1 diabetics or parents of type 1 diabetics in here. Always good to have connections and people to talk to with this chronic Illness.

January 30th 2019. My 2 and a half year old daughter was officially diagnosed with type 1. Talk about your world being turned upside down. I won’t go through the whole story of how she was diagnosed and the extreme situational awareness parenting this disease comes with constantly. But I’d like to know if anyone here lives this nightmare me and my wife shares. 5 minute dexcom readings at a time. I can not even explain parenting a young type 1, the immense pain and constant reality check, how does one try to explain all this to someone who literally has no clue? I find myself being ****** at type 2 diabetics because type 1 is often confused with this self caused disease. Type 1 is ****ing brutal through and through. Any weathered parents of type 1 diabetics out there?

My son was diagnosed at 12 and that was 5.5 yrs ago.

Comment

On a positive side, tech has come a far way and the Dex G6 is a T1's best friend. Imagine not having Dex and having to stick her several times daily for insulin admin. As far as explaining it to people, do the best ya'll can. Some will get it and some will not. If they don't get it, remain patient some people will not get it no matter how well you explain it. Especially if this is family members.

Comment

I was diagnosed with T1D at 11 months old in 1980. I have had plenty of shots and finger sticks over the last 40 years. My parents had it pretty tough in the 80's. Drs figured I would live to my early 20s. When synthetic insulin came out, it was a game changer. Then in 2007 I got a Medtronic insulin pump. That was great too. Now I have the Minimed with continuous glucose monitoring (CGM). There are times when it is a struggle but I was able to play every sport growing up and I continue to live a normal life because I have been able to control it. Always carry a little juice or candy incase of a low. There are a lot of resources out there. Take a look at JDRF. Good info on their site.

Comment

My son was diagnosed in June of this year at 13 years old. It was a struggle at first getting his sugar to stabilized but things have improved. We are looking at getting him started on an insulin pump now.

Comment

Get the Libre 2, it’s got an alarm to tell you if sugar is going low or to high, you can set parameters I like it at 80 on the low and 200 on the high. I’ve been a type 1 for 25 years.

Comment

Originally posted by roberts View Post
              My son was diagnosed in June of this year at 13 years old. It was a struggle at first getting his sugar to stabilized but things have improved. We are looking at getting him started on an insulin pump now.
              Which pump? My son currently uses the Medtronics 670G. When this contract is up, we are switching him to the Tandem. It loops with the Dex and is much better at keeping blood sugar levels stabelized.

Comment

My son was diagnosed T1D at 11 years old. That was 13 years ago.

Comment

My son was diagnosed at 6. He is now 19 and a sophomore in college. It was nerve racking last year to let him go off to school on his own but he has done great. He is even running on the university's cross country team. He has never let it slow him down. There were some hard years but we always stayed positive with him and never let him see it as a limiting factor. Prayers for you and your family.

Comment

My daughter was diagnosed at age 2. I understand your pain. It’s a lot to go thru and you are on constant watch since they can’t tell you when they’re feeling low. Always keep some kind of sugar with you preferably a soft sugar when they are young. Those tubes of cake icing is could because you can squirt it in their mouth if they are low and it will act fast. When they are older juice will work easier. My daughters 32 now and has 2 beautiful children that are healthy as can be. So your child will be a productive child and adult with constant monitoring. She too is on the pump but I’m sorry I don’t know which one she uses. Stay strong, you can do this.

Comment

Im T1D since 2013

Dexcom and Omnipod have been lifesavers! I elk hunting and spear fish and do everything all my friend sand family do and it’s never slowed me down a bit!

Reach out anytime Day or Night! It’s wicked complicated some days and even after 7 years I still have a Dooozie of a day here and there!

My best advice would be to get a CGM and a pump (like mentioned I love dex and Omnipod), then remember you are intelligent and are the keeper of that child. YOU have the power to control and change settings and make things better! You do not need a Dr to make adjustment to your basal or dosing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My grandson was diagnosed at age 4. He is now 18 and a senior in high school where he is on the cross country team.

Comment

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
                          Which pump? My son currently uses the Medtronics 670G. When this contract is up, we are switching him to the Tandem. It loops with the Dex and is much better at keeping blood sugar levels stabelized.
                          We are looking at the omnipod. He is currently wearing a dexicom monitor, but it does not work to well on people under the age of 18. Even though they state there is a 20% chance of error, I have seen bigger chances of error in it. That is why we are choosing the omnipod over the others, that will work with a Libre or Dexicom.

I should also add that we tried the Libre first and it did not work at all with my son. The Dexicom is somewhat close, but when it is getting time to replace the sensor, the readings are really out of ordinary. Either showing to low or to high.

Comment

Originally posted by roberts View Post
                            We are looking at the omnipod. He is currently wearing a dexicom monitor, but it does not work to well on people under the age of 18. Even though they state there is a 20% chance of error, I have seen bigger chances of error in it. That is why we are choosing the omnipod over the others, that will work with a Libre or Dexicom.

I should also add that we tried the Libre first and it did not work at all with my son. The Dexicom is somewhat close, but when it is getting time to replace the sensor, the readings are really out of ordinary. Either showing to low or to high.

My son is 17 and we've had the best results from the newest Dex G6. The G3 wasn't worth it's weight in salt and was really in accurate. The G6 has been the most accurate of them all. Does he have the G5 or G6 Dex? When we had the G5 it did get wonky towards the end before the change.

Comment

Originally posted by bowfishin fool View Post
                              Im T1D since 2013

Dexcom and Omnipod have been lifesavers! I elk hunting and spear fish and do everything all my friend sand family do and it’s never slowed me down a bit!

Reach out anytime Day or Night! It’s wicked complicated some days and even after 7 years I still have a Dooozie of a day here and there!

My best advice would be to get a CGM and a pump (like mentioned I love dex and Omnipod), then remember you are intelligent and are the keeper of that child. YOU have the power to control and change settings and make things better! You do not need a Dr to make adjustment to your basal or dosing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We used the Omnipod for about 10 months. It absolutely tore her skin up, she’s so small and doesn’t have that much skin to rotate sites on. So we back to shots, dexcom is a life saver, although it still comes with its own issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X