No announcement yet.

"the pasture"....long read and pic heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i got 20lbs of the spring mix for an acre and then 5lbs of alyce clover and 2lbs of chicory for a border around the perimeter of the plot, for a total of about 1.25 to 1.5 acres. i am really going to try to stay on top of the water situation (i have access to a tank and sprayer) and see if i cant keep the clover/chicory mix going for as long as possible.

$16 to ship to a business.

Comment

I bought some chicory the other day but the more I read on it I'm gonna wait until fall to plant it. Like most perennials (clover, alfalfa, chicory, etc...) it does better fall planted because it puts so much energy into putting down roots. Good roots = drought resistance. I'm afraid planting now it would not have enough time to putting down roots before the summer heat/drought arrives.

Comment

thats a good idea and makes sense, with as little as i am planting this year i will be able to replant in the fall if needed so i am gonna give it a shot.

like always, i am getting down to the line and havent finished all of my prepwork yet.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
          thats a good idea and makes sense, with as little as i am planting this year i will be able to replant in the fall if needed so i am gonna give it a shot.

like always, i am getting down to the line and havent finished all of my prepwork yet.
          Good luck! I haven't done my prep work either.....we got an inch of rain last night at the farm....wish I would have planted last weekend.

Comment

Choot em! Lol, I'm jealous, you've got great genetics out there, you should have studs for years to come. I too am planning on a food plot and I'm also going to plant an apple, pear and persimmon orchard near the middle of my property. Each tree will yield 250 lbs of fruit and you can plant different varieties that drop fruit early (August/Sept) and late (Nov/Dec) so that those trees are dropping all throughout deer season. Those fruits are high energy and help speed up the deer's digestive process. They drop fruit within 3-5 years and will yield fruit for 50 years. I can't wait!

Comment

Sounds good man, good luck with it. I wanted to plant some persimmon trees this spring but am going to wait till the fall, and will probably add some apple trees to it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                Sounds good man, good luck with it. I wanted to plant some persimmon trees this spring but am going to wait till the fall, and will probably add some apple trees to it as well.
                Here's some links when you're ready to start

Excellent info in those^^^^

Comment

great story and best of success. love when the fire is lit!

Comment

Thanks guys and thanks for the links. The fire is lit, fo sho. Cant wait to go check the cams next week and get to some shed hunting.

Comment

well he shed one side, and these are the only two pics i got of him this week due to a non-flashing camera...which angers me to no end lol.

looks like i will be doing some walking next week when i make it back out there.

we rolled up at 1120a yesterday, 40 mins after the love of my life sauntered away..

Comment

Hes a stud!

Comment

well i went down friday to mow before i spray this week and found that someone stole the battery and radiator out of of my unlces tractor...mf.

so, i am going to spray tuesday and have it mowed and tilled on monday the 8th, weather permitting. should be planting either monday after the till or tueday the 9th.

Comment

I think you have a coon problem. Other than that, Good hunting and be sure and take some kill shot pics!

Comment

yeah i have some pics with up to 13 in one pic. my batteries started going bad this past week so my night pics were all bad but i thought this one was cool...

Comment

Met with the biologist today to get the wildlife exemption process started. He recommended cedar and black locust tree control and some prescribed burning next winter after the season.

Was going to try to spray today so i could till and plant next week but the rain changed the plans and is gonna push everything back another week or so. Should get it sprayed by this weekend and tilled and planted about a week after that.

Comment

Working...
                                X