Well and Pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Burntorange Bowhunter;13238083]Looks like a tank to me.[/QUOTE

I wanted to call it a tank, but I reckon it was a pond to him.

Comment

People saying pond in Texas drives me insane.

Comment

Looks like a pond to me, tank is on a truck.

Comment

We have a tank on the place out in Eldorado that looks almost exactly like yours. Maybe a foot deep at the deepest point. Put a timer on your well pump, let it run an hour or two a day. It will keep it up. All you need is a couple inches worth of clean water year round and all the critters will be good. The cost to run the pump an hour or so a day is probably about $5-10 a month if that.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
            I don't get caught up if I'm using the right vernacular.....it's really not that important to me. My point was made for the average Joe to understand. If this is the worst the day has thrown at me then a great day it is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PROD49 View Post
              Ok, so then new plan dig out deeper this year and dig a new well next to pond next year.
              If you are going to "dig" a well in that country you are tough!

Comment

Clay would probably seal it a lot better.

Comment

A. go with a solar or wind pump
                  B. bentonite will not solve anything unless you can plow it into the existing soil. It's not a sprinkle and instantly retain water kind of thing.
                  C. Science is your friend. Get a pond expert from that area to do an assessment, and the local ag extension may also help.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                    Non native Texan alert. LOL. Just like the immigrants from Mexico to the US....you must adopt OUR language and way of life.

A pond is in the city and has a jogging trail and park benches.

Without these funky watering holes, where would we—much less our cattle and sheep—be today?

Ranchers don’t call them ponds. Ponds are for picnics and pollywogs. Ranchers call them what they are: stock tanks for sheep and cattle, for the dead-serious business of keeping animals alive in a semiarid land plagued by drought.
                    Most tanks in Texas are murky man-made reservoirs, muddy watering holes ringed by hoofprints and dung, built by ranchers who bulldoze pits or earthen dams across gulleys to catch runoff and hold it awhile. Statistically, the average tank in Texas covers four tenths of an acre, but the official figure is somewhat skewed—in South Texas a tank might cover 25 acres, while in East Texas you can almost jump across some.
                    Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 03-08-2018, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Pollywogs=city term

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                        Pollywogs=city term
                        Hell then even the liberals from Austin know it's a tank. LOL.

I just had to look it up. Tadpoles. LOL.

Comment

Tank is made of metal or concrete and sometimes called a trough. A pond is earthen.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                            Non native Texan alert. LOL. Just like the immigrants from Mexico to the US....you must adopt OUR language and way of life.

Without these funky watering holes, where would we—much less our cattle and sheep—be today?

Ranchers don’t call them ponds. Ponds are for picnics and pollywogs. Ranchers call them what they are: stock tanks for sheep and cattle, for the dead-serious business of keeping animals alive in a semiarid land plagued by drought.
                            Most tanks in Texas are murky man-made reservoirs, muddy watering holes ringed by hoofprints and dung, built by ranchers who bulldoze pits or earthen dams across gulleys to catch runoff and hold it awhile. Statistically, the average tank in Texas covers four tenths of an acre, but the official figure is somewhat skewed—in South Texas a tank might cover 25 acres, while in East Texas you can almost jump across some.
                            You get your native slang from Texas Monthly articles?

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
                              how much does your well produce?
                              Mine will pump 75 gpm and I can't keep up with evaporation in the summer on a 12 acre pond at my place
                              Crazy how much water is evaporated, never really think about it till you mentioned it.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post

So they should rename it to stocktankboss.com
                                Instead of pondboss.com?

Comment

Working...
                                X