The value of a picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you elaborate on this post?

Particularly what is meant by the first red text and second how I go about doing the second?

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
    Good portfolio.
    A reality check may be in order at Fred Miranda . A lot of these people are probably not trying to sell anything and yet the quality out there is amazing.
    You do need to copywrite your material if you happen to catch one everyone just has to have.

Comment

I have sold quite a bit of photography over the years. Unfortunately, there is a not a standard guideline for what prints will sell for. Art is only as valuable as what someone is willing to give you for it. As a fellow photographer, we always believe out creative art is worth more that it really is but don't get frustrated with it.
      Determine who your audience is for not only the print(s) you are wanting to sell and focus your efforts in that area as to where you will market your work.
      It is difficult, but not impossible, to sell photography at a price which we believe it should go for. As Legdog said, a high quality matte and framing job on a 16x20 or 20x30 print is going to cost you $300-600 dollars. The cheapest part of the deal is the print itself. If you go this route, you obviously are not going to sell it at a Farmers Market on a Saturday afternoon because that is the wrong audience. In fact, I believe it is very difficult to make a good margin on a fully matted and framed high quality print just because of the cost to have it done, unless you can do it yourself. I have run across very few people that will pay $700-800 for a photo that cost you $500 to put together. Also keep in mind that most people will want to matte and frame the print based on their tastes and decor in the room where they want to hang it.
      Reputation is what I believe helps you sell your prints. Get your work out there and try to get a following because word of mouth is the best advertising you can get. Unfortunately, with the digital age, good photograhs can be taken by just about anyone but even fantastic photographers don't have it easy trying to sell their work.
      One thing I have done over the years as well is to give your work as gifts to people that you know will hang it in their home/office and that can also pay you back with more people wanting your work.
      Good luck and have fun with it!

Comment

Wow great pics

Comment

Working...
        X