Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-12-2018, 11:00 AM   #1
Throwin' Darts
Ten Point

Default Tell me about living in West Fort Worth, Aledo, Willow Park, etc.

I currently live in the M Streets in Dallas. I've been fortunate enough that my house has seen some really significant appreciation. The downside to that is that my property taxes are rising to a point where its just downright stupid. In the four years that I've owned the property Dallas County has raised the assessment by $300k. I'm homesteaded so the increase I pay every year is limited but I am just sick of it of cutting that check and its almost as much as the mortgage every month and will get worse each year until they catch it up to the assessed value.

I have a ranch out near Graham and we spend quite a bit of time out there. I've got the itch to cash out on my current house in Dallas and buy something out on the west side of Fort Worth where I can get more for my money and downsize the mortgage and property taxes and get me closer to the ranch. If I can square it away with my job I bet they would let me work out of our Fort Worth office which is in the West 7th/University area.

So my question is...if you were looking for an acre +, fairly new construction, great schools, within a half hour of West 7th/University area of Fort Worth, where it would be easy to hop on 20 West and head to Graham, where would you buy and why?
Throwin' Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #2
ckamp52
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for a drama free lease...if it exists anymore

My wife works around there and we live in Burleson. We have an acre and think I am going to spit it and build another house on 1/2 acre and we are working on remodeling the existing and then selling and moving westish if possible. Still trying to decide on a whether I can try and make a career change and keep decent pay starting over
ckamp52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #3
yaqui
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland Co.

Sell now, the time is right, the Dallas market is going to see a correction in the near future.
yaqui is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #4
2B4Him
Ten Point

Hunt In: Only my dreams for now.

I've lived in Aledo for 20 years now (but out away from the crowds).
I live in the SE corner of Parker County - takes about 15 minutes to get to I20, but I get to my lease in Olney in 2 hours.
Taxes are high in AISD and will get higher with all the development and schools needing to be built. But a great place to live.
The new Walsh Development may be a good opportunity for you.
2B4Him is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 11:22 AM   #5
TxTechBowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brewster, Cooke and Clay County

I live in Willow Park. Taxes are high but the schools are great. Housing market is also booming here so you will be overpaying for a House right now. If you want a new build look at Walsh Ranch. It is new development between Aledo and Fort Worth.

Only downside is with all of the people moving here I am afraid it will end up like North Fort Worth/Keller in a few years which means the traffic getting into and out of Fort Worth will be a PITA.
TxTechBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 11:41 AM   #6
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Drive another 10 or 12 minutes out to Brock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 11:45 AM   #7
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Only downside is with all of the people moving here I am afraid it will end up like North Fort Worth/Keller in a few years which means the traffic getting into and out of Fort Worth will be a PITA.

Walsh Ranch would be perfect location-wise but I think the lots are small. I live a few miles west of there and it makes my stomach hurt to think there will eventually be 50,000 people in that development. There are still some rural or semi-rural areas between Weatherford and Azle where you can buy several acres however that would add 15-20 minutes to your trip to the 7th street area.

Last edited by jerp; 07-12-2018 at 11:48 AM.
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 11:53 AM   #8
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

you won't find anything like the M Streets in Fort Worth unfortunately

I live in South West Fort Worth and if you have kids the schools here are garbage. Fort Worth public schools aren't great, you may have to be a little more than 20min from TCU/7th area if you want an acre+
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 12:03 PM   #9
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
you won't find anything like the M Streets in Fort Worth unfortunately

I live in South West Fort Worth and if you have kids the schools here are garbage. Fort Worth public schools aren't great, you may have to be a little more than 20min from TCU/7th area if you want an acre+
We lived in Ft Worth when the boys were young. They went to a great elementary school but after that it was either cough up the money for private school or move. That's when we moved to Aledo 16 years ago.
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 12:24 PM   #10
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
We lived in Ft Worth when the boys were young. They went to a great elementary school but after that it was either cough up the money for private school or move. That's when we moved to Aledo 16 years ago.
It hasnt changed, at least where we are.
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 12:31 PM   #11
stinkbelly
Pope & Young

I am in Hudson Oaks. It is BOOMING. It is awful. It feels like Keller was 15 years ago.

Weatherfords schools use to be great. Now they are not so good. Don't take this the wrong way, but they sent a lady to El Paso to get spanish speaking teachers into our schools. All the new kids don't speak english. The announcements are in spanish now.

I will sell you 22 acres in Hudson Oaks and you can build whatever you want on it.

Unfortunately the entire Parker County area is being destroyed by all the people coming in. They move here and want it like they use to have it. Everyone says move to Brock. Everyone did move to Brock. It is over loaded. I would look North or South of the Weatherford area (unless you want to buy mine).
stinkbelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 12:36 PM   #12
Shallowater
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker County, New Mexico

i live just SE of Aledo proper and commuted to downtown Fort Worth for years (Now I drive to the Galleria area). Aledo is great but growing very fast. You will be very handy to your Graham property. I do a bunch of business out there.

Speaking of which...I have 5.68 acres off of Kelly Rd. with a remodeled farm house that might be right up your alley.
Shallowater is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 12:53 PM   #13
jkk831
Ten Point

Hunt In: Garza County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowater View Post
i live just SE of Aledo proper and commuted to downtown Fort Worth for years (Now I drive to the Galleria area). Aledo is great but growing very fast. You will be very handy to your Graham property. I do a bunch of business out there.

Speaking of which...I have 5.68 acres off of Kelly Rd. with a remodeled farm house that might be right up your alley.
Where you moving to?
jkk831 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 12:54 PM   #14
mooney_ag
Eight Point

Hunt In: Erath County

I moved to Aledo 7 years ago from Cleburne. Needed out and proximity to Fort Worth. I live in Aledo proper and needed a small lot due to 75% travel. I really do like the location and access to 20 and 377 from where I am at. Thought about selling last year to get some more elbow room off Kelly RD or 1187 but selling up also meant buying up.
mooney_ag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 12:54 PM   #15
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

Lots of nice places out that way! Id just move to the ranch though
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 12:58 PM   #16
Shallowater
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkk831 View Post
Where you moving to?

Weve been kicking around moving onto Grandbury Lake. Not 100% sure of that but weve been looking into it. When are you and the fam coming over for dinner? We need to get something set up. .

Old 07-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #17
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Yeah the Fort Worth area is not a good place to live. I would stay away if I were you.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 01:38 PM   #18
Throwin' Darts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaqui View Post
Sell now, the time is right, the Dallas market is going to see a correction in the near future.
I'm in the business and with the job creation and in migration I think this market has a ways to go.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:47 PM   #19
Throwin' Darts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acameron52 View Post
Lots of nice places out that way! Id just move to the ranch though
I'd love to but that would be a heck of a drive into work!
Old 07-12-2018, 03:34 PM   #20
jkk831
Ten Point

Quote:
Weve been kicking around moving onto Grandbury Lake. Not 100% sure of that but weve been looking into it. When are you and the fam coming over for dinner? We need to get something set up. .

Weve thought that would be a great place as well. Let me know when yall a free together!
Old 07-12-2018, 03:38 PM   #21
jkk831
Ten Point

To the op look at cover bridge canyon. It’s out north of Aledo but sounds like it might fit what you want.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:53 PM   #22
Throwin' Darts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkk831 View Post
To the op look at cover bridge canyon. Its out north of Aledo but sounds like it might fit what you want.
Will do. Thanks for the heads up
Old 07-12-2018, 04:03 PM   #23
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Up and down 1886 is really pretty, Estancia, Covered Bridge, Bolin Ranch, La Cantera, and Wolf Creek come to mind.

Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 04:03 PM   #24
phoneman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lipan, Tx

I live in Hudson Oaks. Its starting to get real crowded. although our property values are sky rocketing! It still only takes me twenty minutes to get down town. Lots of deer. also have fiber internet n Hudson Oaks.
phoneman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 04:45 PM   #25
2B4Him
Ten Point

Hunt In: Only my dreams for now.

Quote:

Where on Kelly Rd? (I'm 1 mile from 377).
2B4Him is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 06:19 PM   #26
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

I'm just north of weatherford and it's getting way too crowded, way too fast. We are looking at the possibility of going further west.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 09:14 PM   #27
sandbill
Six Point

Hunt In: Montague County

I would bypass west Ft. Worth and ease on west to Parker County. The previously mentioned 'growth' concerns are valid. It's just more 'civilized' out that direction. West Aledo, Annetta, Annetta South, and Hudson Oaks are still better options than Tarrant County. Who knows what kind of mess the Walsh Ranch will turn in to? Lots of folks will be on I-20 with you, going in and out of downtown Ft. Worth, though.
sandbill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 09:23 PM   #28
cowman
Four Point

Peaster is nice with good schools though small. more like 45 commute with normal traffic. A true 30 minute commute from West 7 and University isn't going to get you all that far west when traffic and lights to the highway are taken into the equation.
cowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 12:54 PM   #29
DZM
Four Point

Hunt In: Jones & Jack County

We live off the Chisholm Trail Tollway south of 20 about 3 miles. Can be downtown in about 10 minutes. Just south of us off the toll there are some half acre and one acre lots they are building on. I can be at my Dads place northwest
DZM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 01:10 PM   #30
stickbowcoop
Ten Point

Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.

Good luck man. We originally were looking in that area, but I hate close neighbors and refused to buy a house in a sub division or town. We don't have kids though. The commute is a bummer from out here, but I'll take that over having neighbors 40 ft away . Of course every woodlot out here is getting bull dozed to build houses so I don't know how long we will be here. If I could find a work from home job like my wife has, we would be out of here and much farther out than we are now.
stickbowcoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 01:11 PM   #31
Heath
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cisco / Ira

As I drive out to our place by you, I too often think about living on that side of town. The good news for us as everyone is pushing West, they are closer to our places which in turn will equal more money in our pockets down the road!
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 01:16 PM   #32
Reelthreat
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaqui View Post
Correction? As long as the mass migration from California continues the prices will continue upward.
Reelthreat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 01:17 PM   #33
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

Dont see prices of homes dipping until democrats are back in office. I would live out west in a heartbeat, but my job drags us to north Dallas area.
bbqfan5909 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 01:23 PM   #34
Smithwr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Vernon TX

Look south towards cleburne/rio vista/grandview. Straight shot up chisolm trail tollway or 35
Smithwr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 05:50 PM   #35
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

Quote:

We’ve been kicking around moving onto Grandbury Lake. Not 100% sure of that but we’ve been looking into it. When are you and the fam coming over for dinner? We need to get something set up. .

We’ve thought that would be a great place as well. Let me know when y’all a free together!

You both are welcome to PM me and I can provide information about Granbury and some GREAT places with 1acre + to build on. I'm retired so I have NO $$ in this but we are MUCH more relaxed than even the Weatherford/Parker County these days. They are expanding the Chisholm Trail but I travel backroads to I20 you can avoid all the 377 traffic going to Graham which I can make in hour or less!

Tax rate here is around 1.69% depending on what part of Hood County you live in. NO city taxes in the area I am really familiar with. We live in Granbury and it's a great place to be. Schools are very good and there is a ton of things to do with a small town atmosphere built around the Lake. Every season of the year has something fun to do or just sit back and enjoy the country WITH all the conveniences you want.

Just trying to help per the OP...no other intentions....
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 07:58 PM   #36
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Drive another 10 or 12 minutes out to Brock.

Exactly what I was going to suggest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 09:33 AM   #37
Throwin' Darts
Ten Point

I'm going to check out some of these other places. Brock, Hudson Oaks, etc.

For all you guys saying its too crowded remember I'd be coming from Dallas, three blocks off of Central Expressway and Knox Henderson. I don't know if it could get more crowded than what I'm already used to.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:26 PM   #38
Shallowater
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B4Him View Post
Where on Kelly Rd? (I'm 1 mile from 377).

I live a mile off Kelly on MCClendon Walker. Im sure you drive past that turn all the time.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:04 PM   #39
coop2564
Ten Point

Hunt In: STX, E. Texas and Louisiana!

I live in Azle have a lot of deer in that area. I have 11 ac have about 10 bucks coming to my feeder right now.
coop2564 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 03:10 PM   #40
Phorizt
Four Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

We just moved from Wylie over to Granbury and absolutely love it compared to Wylie.

I know quite a few people here work in Fort Worth but luckily I work from home and travel for my day job and my wife and I have an ecommerce business we run from a warehouse we purchased here in Granbury. So I don't have to drive into Fort Worth every day but I do have to make a trip somewhere in the city at least 1 time per week. I don't know what traffic is like at 7:00am since I usually leave a little later. If you lived on the East side of the lake then that probably saves 10-15min of drive time.

We bought a place with 2 acres north of town on the west side of the lake(technically we're in Brazos Bend). Not a lake front lot but we can walk out the door and walk back to the lake if we want. We have a herd of 8 deer that come out in back yard each evening(plus 1 turkey, a skunk and a bunch of coons).

Property taxes in Granbury are great compared to Collin Co taxes. Schools are ok. I was worried about the schools because some of the ratings online but our kids had a very good experience the 2 months they went there this spring. The schools on the East side of the lake are better than the ones on the West side though.
Phorizt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 04:24 PM   #41
HDWRENCH
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTechBowhunter View Post
I live in Willow Park. Taxes are high but the schools are great. Housing market is also booming here so you will be overpaying for a House right now. If you want a new build look at Walsh Ranch. It is new development between Aledo and Fort Worth.

I live Fort worth am keller ISD and the taxes are higher now than ever a few houses sold on this street every one has 3 acres and Not its gone crazy . People showing up making offers trying to buy .. If I wanted to sell I would list it . To be honest looking to move away much further at some point the traffic and dumb *** drivers is crazy The school at the end of the street has accidents every day during pick up and drop off How can you have 5 cars in an accident if you driving 25 ??

They are building like crazy and the traffic is getting very bad , all the new apartment complexes are over loading the streets . New ones down by the mall every where you look .. Like we needed another walmart on Golden triangle and the round about's with TX drivers who mostly never use a turn signal let along can figure those out .

Last edited by HDWRENCH; 07-16-2018 at 04:31 PM.
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 06:30 PM   #42
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!
Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorizt View Post
We just moved from Wylie over to Granbury and absolutely love it compared to Wylie.

I know quite a few people here work in Fort Worth but luckily I work from home and travel for my day job and my wife and I have an ecommerce business we run from a warehouse we purchased here in Granbury. So I don't have to drive into Fort Worth every day but I do have to make a trip somewhere in the city at least 1 time per week. I don't know what traffic is like at 7:00am since I usually leave a little later. If you lived on the East side of the lake then that probably saves 10-15min of drive time.

We bought a place with 2 acres north of town on the west side of the lake(technically we're in Brazos Bend). Not a lake front lot but we can walk out the door and walk back to the lake if we want. We have a herd of 8 deer that come out in back yard each evening(plus 1 turkey, a skunk and a bunch of coons).

Property taxes in Granbury are great compared to Collin Co taxes. Schools are ok. I was worried about the schools because some of the ratings online but our kids had a very good experience the 2 months they went there this spring. The schools on the East side of the lake are better than the ones on the West side though.
We are the BEST kept secret in the North TX area! Us Granburyite's have a saying though:

"Came for vacation and left on probation!" Just about ALL the various LEO departments will stop you in a minute for speeding...all except the Fire Marshal, lol!! Happy you are loving our/your area...it's special!!
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top