Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-12-2018, 10:06 AM   #1
2B4Him
Ten Point

Hunt In: Only my dreams for now.
Default Props to Discount Tire

I have been a fan of Discount Tire for quite a while - very professional, great (usually free) service after the sale, etc. But I have had a couple of issues - two separate times I called about tires I needed, was told "in stock" and set up an appointment time. Both times when I arrived, they said they had the wrong tires and I had to come back another day.
Anyway, I've got 71K on my 50K tires and one keeps losing air, so I thought it was time to replace. I check out their price on line - $150/each. I check around on line and see that Walmart has the same tire at $116.98/each. There is an 'additional costs' window on Walmart's website that states: "This price does not include tire service or disposal fees or any applicable state environmental tax."
So, on Discount's website, I click the 'I found it lower' tab to see if they will match. I fully expect an email saying, "We can sell the tire for $XX, but our price includes everything - Walmart's has extras that make their price more than quoted."
However, about five minutes after submitting the lower price, I get a phone call and the guy from Discount says, "We can do that. When do you want to get the tires?"
So, I've got an appointment for tomorrow to get new tires at $33 off! I'm impressed because I've never thought tires had all that much profit margin in them to start with. (These are Goodyear tires.)
2B4Him is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
BRust
Six Point

Hunt In: Around Lake Somerville & Brackettville

Love me some Discount Tire..........
BRust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 10:25 AM   #3
sandbill
Six Point

Hunt In: Montague County

I appreciate them more all the time. Top notch organization.
sandbill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 10:28 AM   #4
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Got an appointment today for my Taco in fact. Only place I buy tires anymore.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 10:28 AM   #5
kcmarullo
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Tx, Oklahoma

They do have a lot of wiggle room to work with !
kcmarullo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 10:29 AM   #6
witmer_c
Nubbin' Buck

Agreed. I buy all my tires from them.
witmer_c is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 10:29 AM   #7
Walker
Ten Point

They screwed my daughter on a spare tire issue after they said her 4 vehicle tires were unsafe and sold her new tires. Never take my business to them again.

Last edited by Walker; 07-12-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Walker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #8
Dixiehunter
Ten Point

There's good stores and bad stores. I've always had pretty good luck with them. I worked at a store for a bit between highschool and college. It was a great job.
Dixiehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 10:32 AM   #9
Dixiehunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
They screwed my daughter on a spre tire issue after they said her 4 vehicle tires were unsafe and sold her new tires. Never take my business to them again.
She probably needed new tires. You'd be surprised the kind of tires people roll in on.
Dixiehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 10:36 AM   #10
Walker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiehunter View Post
She probably needed new tires. You'd be surprised the kind of tires people roll in on.
She did need new tires. ,3 were pretty worn, one was still descent. Her spare, which was on the rear left of truck at the time was old and weather cracked. Well discount mounted 4 new tires and put that old cracked spare back under the truck and disposed of the one descent tire.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:39 AM   #11
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Don't know about all their stores but I've bought at least 5 sets of tires for family vehicles from their Weatherford location. I've never had anything but a great experience. Fast and courteous.
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 10:43 AM   #12
Cullbuck
Nubbin' Buck

Great company! I worked for them in college it was one of my favorite jobs. They pay very well, off by 7 and I had every Sunday off. Compared to my previous job at academy I was in heaven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cullbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 10:49 AM   #13
Rush2Judge
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wood County

I will say upfront that I use Discount Tire exclusively for all my vehicles (six) and I almost always have had a good experience. They even replaced all four tires on my truck for free when I came in for a balance and rotate. The tires had 40K miles on them but, they were oversized and the manager apologized because he said they should never have sold them to me originally.

I did have one store tell me my front tires on my BMW were worn and needed to be replaced. I informed him that another store had just put brand new tires on not six months earlier (<5k miles) and that if they were worn, he could replace them for free. Magically, they were just fine and the tire tech just made a mistake.
Rush2Judge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 10:55 AM   #14
Arlington BowHunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel Tx

They rotate, balance and fix flats for free even if you didn't buy tires from them. Great company to business with.
Arlington BowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 11:01 AM   #15
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

Only place I'll do business with!
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 11:07 AM   #16
El Viejo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Just got new tires last week. I like their service and prices are decent. They will even take some off the price if you’re nice to them.
El Viejo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #17
bboswell
Pope & Young

I have been a 100% Discount tire customer since 1984. That is coming to at least a partial end since they insist on me getting the size and rating tire they want me to have rather that the tire I want to run.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #18
ckamp52
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for a drama free lease...if it exists anymore

Guess I am the odd man out. We have to go there for our work vehicles and it always takes forever no matter which location I have tried. Anytime I have a small leak or anything the tires are almost always "bad" or something needs to be bought. They always say "man, who has been taking care of your tire needs? THey haven't been doing a good job for you. I am glad you came to see us." then I tell them that it has always been to discount tire and story changes. Had one guy tell me that line and that my tires were bad because whoever had been servicing me had put 100 psi in my tires when they had put them on a month before. They always say I need to come in and rotate em more often and I tell them I don't have 2 hrs to wait (average time I spend per trip). I will stick to my local shop in Sardis
ckamp52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 11:33 AM   #19
BLee15
Spike

Hunt In: Cherokee, Tx

Discount can defiantly wiggle on the tire price. You show them a lower price else where from a reputable place and they should match it.
BLee15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 11:38 AM   #20
tpack
Ten Point

Hunt In: Comanche ,Erath,Mills
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B4Him View Post
I have been a fan of Discount Tire for quite a while - very professional, great (usually free) service after the sale, etc. But I have had a couple of issues - two separate times I called about tires I needed, was told "in stock" and set up an appointment time. Both times when I arrived, they said they had the wrong tires and I had to come back another day.
Anyway, I've got 71K on my 50K tires and one keeps losing air, so I thought it was time to replace. I check out their price on line - $150/each. I check around on line and see that Walmart has the same tire at $116.98/each. There is an 'additional costs' window on Walmart's website that states: "This price does not include tire service or disposal fees or any applicable state environmental tax."
So, on Discount's website, I click the 'I found it lower' tab to see if they will match. I fully expect an email saying, "We can sell the tire for $XX, but our price includes everything - Walmart's has extras that make their price more than quoted."
However, about five minutes after submitting the lower price, I get a phone call and the guy from Discount says, "We can do that. When do you want to get the tires?"
So, I've got an appointment for tomorrow to get new tires at $33 off! I'm impressed because I've never thought tires had all that much profit margin in them to start with. (These are Goodyear tires.)

I hope you don`t have to come back another day
tpack is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 12:08 PM   #21
Rescue1
Eight Point

couple years ago I bought a new challenger. had 7k miles on it and picked up a nail in the sidewall. discount looks up the tire and it's a $389 goodyear. guy called goodyear told them my story and got them to take 1/2 off the price of the new tire. then he tells me since I will have to come back tomorrow and ride around on the donut for another day that he will do the mount and balance etc.. no charge.

he didn't have to do any of that. I didn't have certs on the stock tires. awesome company.

however, it always takes 1.5-2hrs no matter what I have done. even calling ahead and having an appointment.
Rescue1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 12:08 PM   #22
LarryP_1989
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grimes, Walker cty.

I have always been a huge fan of Discount Tire until this past Tuesday. I ordered some new tires for my wife’s car on July 2nd and was told they would be there in 3-5 days. So we setup an appointment for her on July 10th at 11:30am. I call on July 9th to verify that the tires had arrived and they had not. So I tell the guy on the phone we need to change her appointment to a different, because I do not want her driving down there wasting her time if the tires are not in. He tells me do not cancel your appointment for tomorrow and guarantees me that the tires would be there via Fed Ex the next morning. So the next morning I call at 10:30 and speak with the manager that informs the tires still have not arrived but to not cancel my wife’s appointment because the tires would be there before her appointment. So she drives 30 minutes to Discount and they tell her they still have not arrived, but they got confirmation that they will be on the next truck arriving in about 45 minutes or so. So my wife and our 3yo son sit there for close to an hour and a half waiting for her tires to arrive and get put on. My wife finally goes and ask the guy at the counter what the hold up is since they still have not pulled her car in and he tells her “oh, I’ve been meaning to come tell you that your tires weren’t on the last shipment and that you will need to come back tomorrow”. Her appointment was at 11:30am and he tells her this at about 1:45pm after insisting we not reschedule the appointment. So after my wife got done chewing this guy out, I spoke with the manager on the phone and he ended up giving us some slightly more expensive tires for the same price so that she could get on her way. So she finally got tires put on after almost 3 hours, however they were a completely different brand than what I ordered.

Last edited by LarryP_1989; 07-12-2018 at 01:06 PM.
LarryP_1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #23
Rickybobby8
Nubbin' Buck

Had a bolt through my tire in the pouring rain here. They we're closing down past their time. Stayed open and replaced my tire. Will never shop anywhere else
Rickybobby8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 12:42 PM   #24
CEO
Ten Point

Aside from telling them I don't need new tires every time I get a rotation I like them. I had quite a few friends work there in high school and they told a few stories but I've never had any shenanigans happen to me.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 12:43 PM   #25
Bear82
Ten Point

Hunt In: Vernon where there is no deer

Make sure they put the hub caps back on good. I lost all mine after having them rotate my tires. They still haven't got back to me about that. Other than that, they have always been the best place to shop.
Bear82 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 12:47 PM   #26
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

Word. I donít buy tires from anybody but Discount anymore. The hardest part is talking them into bigger tires that ďarenít going to fit my truckĒ.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 12:55 PM   #27
12RingKing
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Grocery Store...

Discount is rough on your stuff. They focus on speed. That’s the only thing that bothers me. They will screw up the finish on your wheels in a hurry.
12RingKing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 12:57 PM   #28
MacDaddy67
Ten Point

After being a strictly Discount Tire man for the last 30 years, I screwed up the other day and bought 3 sets of tires from 4Wheel Parts store.....

That wont ever happen again...sometimes saving a few bucks aint worth it...
MacDaddy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 01:00 PM   #29
MacDaddy67
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12RingKing View Post
Discount is rough on your stuff. They focus on speed. Thatís the only thing that bothers me. They will screw up the finish on your wheels in a hurry.

I always stand outside by my truck after they pull it in and watch them...mainly becasue I always look at my rotors and pads after they are off...
I had to explain to a kid that the impact wrench he just hammered my wheels on with went waaaaaaayyyyy past the 120# torque setting....He had no clue what torque meant and only went through the motions with the wrench...
The impact hit them at 300#....
MacDaddy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #30
Lungbustr
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckamp52 View Post
Guess I am the odd man out. We have to go there for our work vehicles and it always takes forever no matter which location I have tried. Anytime I have a small leak or anything the tires are almost always "bad" or something needs to be bought. They always say "man, who has been taking care of your tire needs? THey haven't been doing a good job for you. I am glad you came to see us." then I tell them that it has always been to discount tire and story changes. Had one guy tell me that line and that my tires were bad because whoever had been servicing me had put 100 psi in my tires when they had put them on a month before. They always say I need to come in and rotate em more often and I tell them I don't have 2 hrs to wait (average time I spend per trip). I will stick to my local shop in Sardis
Yep, they are just too busy these days, and aren't near as good as they used to be. I still use them for the savings.
Lungbustr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 03:29 PM   #31
hero_moneybags
Six Point

I love discount tire. They always take good care of me no matter which location I go to.
hero_moneybags is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 03:30 PM   #32
CaptainDave
Ten Point

I guess it depends on the location as each has a different manager. However, my nearest location has always treated me well. I always hated going to NTB for a rotation and waiting over an hour for something that simple. My local Discount sticks by appointment times and will have you in and out within 30 minutes for something simple. Last few sets of tires I purchased from them, I was in and out within an hour of my appointment time.

Price matching is also a plus. I get that they might not match every little internet deal out there, but there's no issue with normal retail centers.
CaptainDave is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 04:09 PM   #33
deerplanter
Ten Point

I bought a new set of coopers from them recently and took it back 5 times to rebalance and then finally I had enough and talked to the manager and took him for a ride. They then took my truck in and broke down each tire and turned them 180 degrees. They got 3 right but had to give me one new tire. It still isn't great but I can deal with it. There is one store that has broken at least 5 studs off my truck and they have offered to pay for them but I would have to go to a mechanic shop and wait 2 hours so I just fix it myself. I'm on the fence with them, they are always running too fast. Post up tomorrow how it goes.
deerplanter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 04:41 PM   #34
Red Arrow
Six Point

Hunt In: Water Valley, TX

I have nothing bad to say about Discount, they have always taken great care of me. I have banked off the tire insurance deal too. I have gotten four free tires due to flats and having the insurance..... I had one of the guys there tell me he should put me on a poster for the most ever free tires HA!!
Red Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 05:04 PM   #35
eradicator
Pope & Young

My local store is terrible. Only go there in a pinch. And it usually ends up being 2 visits
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 06:11 PM   #36
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

My insurance had to sue them over damage to my pickup but that was a bad manager not the company's fault.
On two occasions when I really needed help they took care of me even though they were fixin to close.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 06:32 PM   #37
BarBBar
Four Point

Hunt In: Burnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickybobby8 View Post
Had a bolt through my tire in the pouring rain here. They we're closing down past their time. Stayed open and replaced my tire. Will never shop anywhere else
Years ago, on a high school road trip near Waco, got a low tire indicator light near dark. Limped in to a Discount Tire near closing time. They fixed the tire in ten minutes and charged me nothing. I have done business with them ever since.
BarBBar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 06:37 PM   #38
bk913
Six Point

Hunt In: Cooke county/Tom Green county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
She did need new tires. ,3 were pretty worn, one was still descent. Her spare, which was on the rear left of truck at the time was old and weather cracked. Well discount mounted 4 new tires and put that old cracked spare back under the truck and disposed of the one descent tire.
Did you ask them to put that certain one on? If not quit bitching and communicate
bk913 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 06:51 PM   #39
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

NEVER had a problem, good service and I can afford an hour to sit and read. There are always LEMON sites, but at least in Granbury I won't buy anywhere else.

In our fast pace society these days, take a little time, get to know the salesperson by name and ask for them when you go in. Wil, the GM at our local store, is a big hunter and we have become friends from several years ago. Do your research and if you have a problem ask to talk to the GM....works for me!
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 06:51 PM   #40
COACH_EM_UP
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk913 View Post
did you ask them to put that certain one on? If not quit bitching and communicate
wow!
COACH_EM_UP is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 06:53 PM   #41
tps7742
Ten Point

I am a 30 plus year discount tire customer. In my case I have never had an issue that couldn’t be resolved.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 07:04 PM   #42
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Was.

Now get my stuff from the local family owned place ran by a high school buddy. Price is within 3 or 4 bucks of the big store with no wait and supporting local bidness
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 08:10 PM   #43
randal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Crowell

I always use them.. they will match online prices..
randal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 09:08 PM   #44
Walker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk913 View Post
Did you ask them to put that certain one on? If not quit bitching and communicate
They always tout safety when trying to sell you tires, but they sure didnt care about my daughters safety when giving her back a maypop spare when there was a descent takeoff they easily could have put on. Any merchant I deal with doesnt get a second chance. Im done with them. Rather go to Walmart. And the deal about matching prices is crap. Ill buy from the company that made them match price.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:17 PM   #45
bboswell
Pope & Young

The unfortunate truth is that there is not another competent tire dealer that offers tire warranty or lifetime rotation & balance.

NTB offers those things, is competitive on price, and happy to install the properly rated tires I want but seems unable to come up with the tires.....
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 10:36 PM   #46
Rich...
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lamar Co.

Ironically the last few times after I leave discount wheel and tire price have a flat
Rich... is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 10:36 PM   #47
hogslayer78
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Augustine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Was.

Now get my stuff from the local family owned place ran by a high school buddy. Price is within 3 or 4 bucks of the big store with no wait and supporting local bidness
This! I use clicks tire in Porter. Been going there 25 years. Yeah I pay $32 for a rotate and balance but im out of there in 30 min or so. Not 2 hours fora rotate or drop off and pick up later.
hogslayer78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 10:40 PM   #48
marshman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper & Orange County in TX, Carroll County in MS

Has anyone ever bought a set of tires then after a few weeks decided they didn’t like the ride, noise etc and returned them? I notice Discount does have a limited return policy.
marshman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 11:11 PM   #49
txtradesman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Twenty years strong with discount tire.. Always satisfied
txtradesman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 12:38 AM   #50
BowTech2010
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshman View Post
Has anyone ever bought a set of tires then after a few weeks decided they didnít like the ride, noise etc and returned them? I notice Discount does have a limited return policy.
I did it with a set of mud terrains after a week and the port arthur store exchanged them no question asked.
BowTech2010 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top