Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-11-2018, 08:22 AM   #51
Anythinghunter8
Six Point

Hunt In: Flatonia

dam and my wife wants to move there in a year or so. she wants to move to the north or west side I want to move on the east side like around Bastrop or Elgin we will see what happens
Anythinghunter8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #52
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Austin is a great place to live... my wife and I count our blessings everyday.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #53
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

This is not just an Austin problem. I think the growth rate in San Antonio is actually bigger-faster. It's happening in Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston too. Texas has a strong economy and that is going to to bring people. Houston is being called one of the most culturally diverse cities in the nation.
Hamilton Pool does now require reservations on the weekends. With the tiny amount of public land available in this state it is no wonder these places are overrun.
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 08:48 AM   #54
Evenin'only
Eight Point

Hunt In: Middle Concho

Grew up in Spicewood, lake Travis side, and still live there. Lights on 71 are ridiculous and getting worse. When my sister graduated lake Travis in Ď95 they still had a coed soccer team now they are 6A. There will be 200+ kids come out for 10u fall ball and Iíve coached my kids teams where there is literally not one other family from, not just austin, but from Texas. Lots of Californians and northerners with children that speak to them like I wouldnít speak to an adult. Itís pretty cliche but happens all the time when people say ď where you fromĒ to only respond ďno before you moved here.Ē No, carpet bagger, Iím from here!!
Evenin'only is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 08:57 AM   #55
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Because California isn't empty yet.
My sister lives in Los Angeles and I just visited her and every time someone found out I was from Texas , they would light up and tell me how much they love Austin tx, it really got tiresome hearing this 20 times a day
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 09:04 AM   #56
Legdog
Pope & Young

I canít speak to the why but I can certainly attest to the phenomena.

My job requires I travel all over central Texas from San Marcos to Georgetown and from Bastrop to Horseshoe Bay. I do real estate photography so I see it all. The east Austin gentrification is eye popping as ultra modern homes go up right next to falling down homes in dire need of repair. The Belterra and surrounding subdivisions out 290 to Dripping Springs are amazing as new subdivisions are built with their own schools built in. The updated home flipping business is also booming especially in the interior city. Iíve never seen anything like it. Of course, the west Austin mansions in the hills are also multiplying daily. The growth is simply everywhere. The senior market at Sun City (AKA the Wrinkle Ranch) is loaded with amenities and growth and their very own STD problem as apparently the seniors still have ample tread on their bedroom tires.

I live in South Austin near south Lamar and Ben White. Itís still pretty easy to get around but loop 1 is getting a southern extension as I type. The 290 - 71 split in Oak Hill is about to pop like a teenage pimple and historic urban Lions Municipal golf course is under serious threat of development.

I average roughly 130 miles of travel per day. From my windshield perspective, the growth is stunning. I also find the travel to be pretty easy. Itís a very pretty part of the state. If you like urban amenities combined with trails and woods itís a good place to be. It will be interesting to see what the decades ahead bring. Hopefully smart people preserve what attracts the masses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Legdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 09:14 AM   #57
huntmaster
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Archer County

I recently visited a friends ranch south of Evant. He took me down to see a hotel he opened in Cedar Park, It wont be long before the development of the area reaches Lampasas, very sad to such beautiful country covered in concrete.
huntmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 09:22 AM   #58
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Not sure WHY but if some folks in charge don't seriously start trying to come up with a plan to stop the mass migration to the states capitol city, Lake Travis will be sucked dry one day soon.. It just cant handle much more pressure on a drought year..
Because $$$. They get $$$, and that's all they care about. Doesn't matter D or R, whether the money comes from the govt, or a solar panel company, or oil and gas. So long as they are getting paid, those people could not care any less if others suffer.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 09:23 AM   #59
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

I have a business near Dripping Springs off of Ranch Road 12, only make it down there 3-4 Times a year, overtime I do go it seems like everything is different, crazy growth down there. Like another poster said, it is all over Texas, I live here in the DFW area and there is dirt being turned everywhere.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 09:25 AM   #60
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

Fond memories of 6th street, ROT but have NOT been to the area in years now and don't plan to just for the reasons stated.

Granbury is growing but not as fast as most outlying areas of DFW. But, just go up 51 or 377 and hit the southwest Fort Worth areas and Weatherford...man oh man they are filling up. Best thing for us in Hood County is a lot of folks think the 30 minutes to I20 and beyond is too far for work commutes. But when your town is built around a nice lake, well...that's why our area has so many retiree's.

Seeing more and more younger families coming though, escaping the MADNESS of Big City life.
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 09:27 AM   #61
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

I grew up in Austin. When I was a kid, Austin was still just a sleepy college town. Lots of wildlife and pretty places to see. The boom has destroyed it's character.
My parents just sold their West Austin home and moved to Marble Falls. My dad put it best...in Austin you pay a premium just to live in a political boundary.
Sika is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #62
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Build build build. All them deer are going to end up in east Texas.
I have to go to Austin 2 times a year for conferences and hate it.
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 09:34 AM   #63
Timemachine
Eight Point

Hunt In: SE & SW Texas

I would pick Austin over Dallas any day. Even choose it over San Antonio.
Timemachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #64
kaizen
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
Austin is a great place to live... my wife and I count our blessings everyday.
Yep, I concur. Looks like its the minority view, though!
kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 09:52 AM   #65
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2coolforschool View Post
Why are people still moving to Austin?
J O B S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Because California isn't empty yet.
California, in fact, isn't even in the Top 5 when it comes to Austin transplants, and only one California county makes it to the Top 10 counties providing the most transplants to Austin, in descending order based on the U.S. Census Bureau:

Williamson (TX)
Harris (TX) (Houston)
Hays (TX)
Dallas (TX)
Bexar (TX) (San Antonio)
Bastrop (TX)
Los Angeles (CA)
Tarrant (TX) (Fort Worth)
Fort Bend (TX) (Houston area)
Bell (TX) (Temple/Belton/Killeen)
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 09:55 AM   #66
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timemachine View Post
I would pick Austin over Dallas any day. Even choose it over San Antonio.
San Antonio north side is real sad. I dont know how them folks live like that. Ever house looks the same, the traffic is nuts, and most of the people are west coast yankees.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 09:58 AM   #67
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

I would much prefer Austin to Dallas or Houston, but cost of living is mind boggling in all three (to me).

We were down in Dallas for a wedding in May. My wife and I went in a model home in a McKinney neighborhood just out of curiosity. Nice home, not terribly large, right on top of neighbor in a concrete jungle = 450k starting price. We were shocked.

The economy is great down there, but there are certainly prices being paid.

Last edited by Razrbk89; 07-11-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Razrbk89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #68
CaptainDave
Ten Point

As stated, people are moving to TX for Jobs, semi-affordable housing and average cost of living. Austin was just lagging behind the population influxes that Houston and Dallas areas had already been receiving for years. It also doesn't help that the Tech sector has made a large push in the state as well.

Let it sink in...the populations of these metro areas has literally doubled in the last 20 years! That's the driver behind the urban sprawl.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/29/texa...l&par=sharebar
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 10:02 AM   #69
44mAG
Ten Point

I bought a house in Buda in 2013 and work in downtown Austin. Anywhere around Austin in getting ridiculous. Now that people have been reaching far out west, the movement is starting to make it's way east past Bastrop. I am hoping that in 5 years or so, I will be able to sale my house for a huge profit and move a little further out.
44mAG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 10:10 AM   #70
Capp35
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard & Milam county

Have a house in Bee Cave on an acre (71) that needs to be sold, but it is better than the stock market.
Bought 20+ years ago for $250K and now it is worth over $400K
Capp35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 10:51 AM   #71
Springs
Eight Point

I moved from College Station to Austin 15 years ago. Bought a starter home off Congress and Ben White in 2006, which has turned out to be a great investment. Things are blowing up all around me! With kids now in the mix, my wife and I are looking at a move to get us to better schools. We both grew up in small towns, so the Driftwood/Wimberley area is appealing....hope we are right about that!
Springs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 11:04 AM   #72
Buck Slayer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Refugio, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
I can live with farmers using water. What chaps me is all the folks who have to water their nice lawns daily. In summer a city will nearly double it's daily water usage due to lawn irrigation.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Which most of just runs off. In one of my labs in college we ran a test, after 6 minutes of irrigation the ground had reached saturation and began subsurface runoff.

I know plenty of people who run their sprinklers in excess of 15 minutes.
Buck Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 11:13 AM   #73
Brian77429
Four Point

Hunt In: Vanderpool, Texas

Hamilton in a few years....
Attached Images

Brian77429 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 11:13 AM   #74
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County

I move to Austin in 1989 and it was just getting ready to explode in growth. IBM, Dell, a couple of semi conductor companies, etc. I bought my house in 1992 in Round Rock for $48,000 They are selling for 200+ now. I hate the traffic but I don't mind the growth since I am an real estate appraiser. Much better than Dallas or Houston. I am an hour or less, from, Burnet, Lampassas, Bastrop, Elgin, San Marcos, etc. Can't drive across Houston or Dallas in an hour. Plus there are 20+ state parks within 100 miles and less.
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 11:24 AM   #75
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

it is happening in Dallas right now. i'm in the real estate business and the Crane is the official city bird of Dallas. JPM, Toyota, Liberty Mutual, Schwab all moving in and bringing several thousand well paid educated workers with them.

Austin would be the 2nd choice of places to live for me as far as cities behind Dallas (my dream is to live in the country some day). they need to figure out how to grow though. in the off chance they land the Amazon headquarters, prepare for heads to explode.
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 11:43 AM   #76
67olds442
Six Point

Hunt In: Sweetwater

I got a promotion and moved from Weatherford to Cedar Park in April of this year. Id been to Austin many times over the years for work. My main concern was the school district and quality of life for my family. I have definitely improved both of those things. Yes the traffic on mopac sucks but I'm lucky enough to be able to start work before 6 and get off before 3. Oh and I avoid 35 at all costs. Williamson county is a little more red than Travis county but i can adapt either way.
67olds442 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 11:47 AM   #77
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
A true sanctuary city . . You can have it . . The blue dot in the middle of a red state . .
Lol. You better look at the election map again. Your comment is way wrong.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 11:48 AM   #78
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Because it is way smaller and less crowded than Dallas or Houston. West side is in the hill country.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:01 PM   #79
bukkskin
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Mexico

Attached Images

bukkskin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 12:16 PM   #80
BLee15
Four Point

Hunt In: Cherokee & Crossplains

Would rather be in Austin than Dallas any day. Dallas Traffic is worse.
BLee15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 12:18 PM   #81
67olds442
Six Point

Hunt In: Sweetwater

We love the opportunity to be able to do a lot of things outdoors. Barton Springs trail, Brushy Creek trail, Hill Country and the Coast are close and weather is great. I think there is always a good breeze.
67olds442 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 12:25 PM   #82
Sharecropper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Backyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
Lol. You better look at the election map again. Your comment is way wrong.

I apologize . . I looked again and the blue cancer has spread . .
Sharecropper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 12:26 PM   #83
Sharecropper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Backyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
I apologize . . I looked again and the blue cancer has spread . .
Forgot this . .
Sharecropper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 12:27 PM   #84
simek
Ten Point

The whining is strong on this thread.
simek is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 12:37 PM   #85
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capp35 View Post
Have a house in Bee Cave on an acre (71) that needs to be sold, but it is better than the stock market.
Bought 20+ years ago for $250K and now it is worth over $400K
$250K invested in the S&P 500 20 years ago would be worth about $650K today (if you reinvested the dividends), actually.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 01:12 PM   #86
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

I'd love to live around Austin if about a half million libtards would leave it first.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 01:14 PM   #87
WyoBull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming

We lived in southwest Austin, Circle C Ranch, and had one of the original houses built in Circle C. When we were there it was a very small community with no stores and had to go down Slaughter to get to the grocery store.
We left in 2010 to move back home here in Wyoming and the growth the 5 years prior to us leaving was amazing. It is unbelievable the growth Austin has experienced and will continue to see into the future.
WyoBull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 01:22 PM   #88
Worksalot
Eight Point

Hunt In: On earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
What chaps me is all the folks who have to water their nice lawns daily. In summer a city will nearly double it's daily water usage due to lawn irrigation.

I remember hearing one guy who was losing his familyís land. It had been in the family since the 1800ís. He said I have to give up this beautiful place that is peaceful and far away from the congested cities just so people can water their dang lawns. And part of the water runs down the streets and alleys into storm drains.
Worksalot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 01:43 PM   #89
mchildress
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian77429 View Post
Hamilton in a few years....
Don't Pee in the pool.
mchildress is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 01:43 PM   #90
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

Quote:
Not sure WHY but if some folks in charge don't seriously start trying to come up with a plan to stop the mass migration to the states capitol city, Lake Travis will be sucked dry one day soon.. It just cant handle much more pressure on a drought year..
Sorry bout your fake news. The water parasites are the people who think farming for rice is Texas is a good plan.

Rice Farmers Used More Than Three Times as Much Water as Austin Last Year

Last edited by 35remington; 07-11-2018 at 01:47 PM.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 01:51 PM   #91
Raider Power
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I get invited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
San Antonio north side is real sad. I dont know how them folks live like that. Ever house looks the same, the traffic is nuts, and most of the people are west coast yankees.
Yeah I’d agree on the cookie cutter houses. But the west coast Yankees...nah mostly Mexican nationals.

Last edited by Raider Power; 07-11-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Raider Power is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 02:11 PM   #92
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
I'd love to live around Austin if about a half million libtards would leave it first.
Don't you live near Houston?

Old 07-11-2018, 02:29 PM   #93
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia
Default Why are people still moving to Austin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
Sorry bout your fake news. The water parasites are the people who think farming for rice is Texas is a good plan.

Rice Farmers Used More Than Three Times as Much Water as Austin Last Year

OK.

Seems things are changing..

Last edited by ttaxidermy; 07-11-2018 at 02:35 PM.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 02:33 PM   #94
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:
Don't you live near Houston?

"Near" is relative. It's the closest big city, but it ain't close. I live in the woods.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:35 PM   #95
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
"Near" is relative. It's the closest big city, but it ain't close. I live in the woods.
The surrounding counties of Travis are red.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #96
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
The surrounding counties of Travis are red.

I ain't mad at Austin. It's beautiful. Overcrowded, and too liberal, but beautiful
Old 07-11-2018, 02:45 PM   #97
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
The problem with Austin is...it's full of people from Austin - Edward Longshanks
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 02:49 PM   #98
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Slayer View Post
Which most of just runs off. In one of my labs in college we ran a test, after 6 minutes of irrigation the ground had reached saturation and began subsurface runoff.

I know plenty of people who run their sprinklers in excess of 15 minutes.
My last couple of years with the city I worked with customers on stuff like that. Finding stations watering 15 to 30 minutes was common. They called to complain about their bill.

DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 03:01 PM   #99
rvd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
OK.

Seems things are changing..

True, but completely at the mercy of the LCRA. Pretty sure that decrease was not because farmers were more efficient with water but that the LCRA granted them less to use. I grew up in a rice farming community, it is not an efficient crop any way you slice it.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 03:10 PM   #100
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

Be careful what you ask for on the government of Texas to get involved in their water proposals. There is a reason for the average “joe” having to permit to have a water well drilled if they have their way. They would like to even own our ponds/tanks on your private land.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top