Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 07-08-2018, 10:56 AM   #1
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman
Default SCOTUSí greatest impact

With the looming pick that will presumably tilt SCOTUS more conservatively what do you think will be their greatest and most impactful decision?

I believe it could be Voter ID laws which could curtail nefarious voting habits in certain areas and render the leftís embrace of illegal immigrants somewhat negated. This isnít to say the right doesnít engage in this practice but it seems they donít do it to the degree of the left.

What say you?
Playa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 11:49 AM   #2
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

R vs w
Immigration
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 11:54 AM   #3
Playa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
R vs w
Immigration
As much as I disagree with R vs W, it shouldnít be touched. It wonít accomplish the intended goal and will go against decades of established decisions. It is a bomb that will blow up in our face.... I could go on... but in general Iíd prefer we give polarizing social issues a wide berth..
Old 07-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #4
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

I hope it's to reaffirm as much of the bill of rights as possible.
Redistricting and voter fraud are also big on the list
And then there is protection of the POTUS from the crooked deep state DOJ and others.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 12:16 PM   #5
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
As much as I disagree with R vs W, it shouldnít be touched. It wonít accomplish the intended goal and will go against decades of established decisions. It is a bomb that will blow up in our face.... I could go on... but in general Iíd prefer we give polarizing social issues a wide berth..
Ill just say this. If the shoe was on the other foot theyd have a boot on your throat. No quarter to the marxists. Theyd declare the COTUS unconstitutional and would destroy centuries not decades of precedent if they had the pics right now.
J Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 01:00 PM   #6
Playa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Sweet View Post
Ill just say this. If the shoe was on the other foot theyd have a boot on your throat. No quarter to the marxists. Theyd declare the COTUS unconstitutional and would destroy centuries not decades of precedent if they had the pics right now.
Iím surprised to see you post such, not that I disagree with the premise, you are probably correct. Surprised you would entertain the idea of SCOTUS entertaining a) decided law & b) govít stocking their noses in personal affairs.

I just think the backlash would be greater than the reward and likely lead to exactly what you stated
Old 07-08-2018, 01:05 PM   #7
Mike Javi Cooper
Pope & Young

Personally I don't have a problem with abortion (if you want to kill your kid, go for it) just don't be asking me to fund it... No GOVERNMENT MONEY for abortion.. PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY
Mike Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 02:13 PM   #8
Playa
Pope & Young

Mike if the participants were forward thinkers they wouldn’t need abortions in the 1st place. Consequently their life decisions often mean they lack funds for the procedure. If they can’t fund a few thousand for that, how do you ever expect them to pay for the lifecycle of a child? Who then shoulders that financial burden?

Social conservatives will never admit it but it cost far less to abort than to “raise” the unwanted children
Old 07-08-2018, 02:35 PM   #9
mikerosa
Six Point

I prefer voting laws with ID for sure ! How can it be racist to not have a voter ID because you donít have money ?

Roe vs Wade does need to be re-visited. Why ? Well, the decision back then was based in part to the knowledge known pertaining to human life.

Today, because of technology, we have more clarity on life. A fetus has a heart beat. Does a heartbeat constitute a living being ? Personally I do believe it does, but Iím not a sitting judge.

I think things like this should be tabled with new discovery thru modern science by way of technology.

Technology has taught us Saturn does not have 3 rings, and that there are more planets. We owe it to science discovery to better society and not be stuck in dogma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mikerosa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 03:30 PM   #10
Mike Javi Cooper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Mike if the participants were forward thinkers they wouldn’t need abortions in the 1st place. Consequently their life decisions often mean they lack funds for the procedure. If they can’t fund a few thousand for that, how do you ever expect them to pay for the lifecycle of a child? Who then shoulders that financial burden?

Social conservatives will never admit it but it cost far less to abort than to “raise” the unwanted children
Frankly... that's their problem, I shouldn't be forced to take care of anyone.... that's a choice we all should have to make.. it isn't the government's right to make that choice for me, certainly not from the constitution..
Mike Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 03:38 PM   #11
mikerosa
Six Point

Why no one talks about controlling where you lay your seed ? Arenít we responsible adults and having sex is for adults ? But instead we act like kids, thinking with our wrong ďheadĒ and create unwanted kids. We as a country should use more diligence before we have sex. The fetus pays our price for being careless. Really isnít moral. Iím not Mr. Morality but as a adult I should be more responsible.

Old 07-08-2018, 03:44 PM   #12
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Hopefully mandatory drug testing AND proof of citizenship for ALL welfare recipients and ANY other form of government assistance.. ..
ttaxidermy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 03:54 PM   #13
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Lightbulb

Per the OP question.
Hopefully follow the constitution and Bill of Rights...Ö.nothing more, nothing less!
Quote:
Mike if the participants were forward thinkers they wouldnít need abortions in the 1st place. Consequently their life decisions often mean they lack funds for the procedure. If they canít fund a few thousand for that, how do you ever expect them to pay for the lifecycle of a child? Who then shoulders that financial burden?

Social conservatives will never admit it but it cost far less to abort than to ďraiseĒ the unwanted children
Interesting and I would agree that this is valid questioning on your part. Folks yell and scream about having that "choice" as an American citizen. Then the same folks yell and scream when tons of their tax dollars are used to pay for various welfare programs during a life cycle. Cant have it both ways but I don't think many are forward thinking on either side of that issue!
Hopefully the courts don't get bogged down in that quagmire!
Landrover is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 04:29 PM   #14
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
Per the OP question.
Hopefully follow the constitution and Bill of Rights...….nothing more, nothing less!

Interesting and I would agree that this is valid questioning on your part. Folks yell and scream about having that "choice" as an American citizen. Then the same folks yell and scream when tons of their tax dollars are used to pay for various welfare programs during a life cycle. Cant have it both ways but I don't think many are forward thinking on either side of that issue!
Hopefully the courts don't get bogged down in that quagmire!
One time in the past, the Supreme Court considered a case that involved life, liberty, and personhood on one side and money/finances on the other side. They chose to put money above personhood in the Dred Scott case, and that was clearly a bad decision. The fact that their decision was "precedent" didn't mean that the bad decision shouldn't be reversed. It was terrible case law. Even the Supreme Court can make the wrong decision sometimes, as it did back then with Dred Scott. Whenever they screw up, their "precedent" should be overturned as soon as possible. Fixing wrong decisions will rarely be able to be done without ruffling some feathers. Living under wrong decisions is even worse. Fix it.

That being said, it's way too early to count any chickens. Democrat presidents aren't the only ones who have nominated bad judges. Some of the most disappointing justices have been nominated by Republicans too. Hopefully Trump's next pick will be a solid originalist and not another judge who likes to legislate from the bench.

If we do end up with a solid majority on the court that will apply the constitution and laws, as written, THAT will be the greatest impact all by itself. That will mean that an unelected group of 5 lawyers who are willing to rewrite legislation won't be thwarting the will of the people any longer.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 04:41 PM   #15
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
One time in the past, the Supreme Court considered a case that involved life, liberty, and personhood on one side and money/finances on the other side. They chose to put money above personhood in the Dred Scott case, and that was clearly a bad decision. The fact that their decision was "precedent" didn't mean that the bad decision shouldn't be reversed. It was terrible case law. Even the Supreme Court can make the wrong decision sometimes, as it did back then with Dred Scott. Whenever they screw up, their "precedent" should be overturned as soon as possible. Fixing wrong decisions will rarely be able to be done without ruffling some feathers. Living under wrong decisions is even worse. Fix it.

That being said, it's way too early to count any chickens. Democrat presidents aren't the only ones who have nominated bad judges. Some of the most disappointing justices have been nominated by Republicans too. Hopefully Trump's next pick will be a solid originalist and not another judge who likes to legislate from the bench.

If we do end up with a solid majority on the court that will apply the constitution and laws, as written, THAT will be the greatest impact all by itself. That will mean that an unelected group of 5 lawyers who are willing to rewrite legislation won't be thwarting the will of the people any longer.
ABsoulutely they can and have had horrid decisions on multiple fronts over our history. Dred Scott came down to a property rights issue...Ö...of a HUMAN being before the civil war. Abortion is hugely rooted in religious beliefs and muddled in what a WOman chooses to do with their body. Could be quite interesting to see if it comes up.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:05 PM   #16
Shane
Pope & Young

Quote:
ABsoulutely they can and have had horrid decisions on multiple fronts over our history. Dred Scott came down to a property rights issue...Ö...of a HUMAN being before the civil war. Abortion is hugely rooted in religious beliefs and muddled in what a WOman chooses to do with their body. Could be quite interesting to see if it comes up.
Dred Scott only became a property rights issue after the court decided that a slave wasn't a person. Abortion can only be about the mother's body if the baby inside her womb isn't a person.

It's all about personhood. The libs know this. That's why they argue about viability and all of that. That's their effort to deny personhood to a baby inside a womb. They know that if they admit that unborn babies are actually human beings, then they have personhood and their right to life must be considered. And it gets to be pretty doggone difficult to justify the willful taking of an innocent human life, whether you are a Christian or not.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #17
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Dred Scott only became a property rights issue after the court decided that a slave wasn't a person. Abortion can only be about the mother's body if the baby inside her womb isn't a person.

It's all about personhood. The libs know this. That's why they argue about viability and all of that. That's their effort to deny personhood to a baby inside a womb. They know that if they admit that unborn babies are actually human beings, then they have personhood and their right to life must be considered. And it gets to be pretty doggone difficult to justify the willful taking of an innocent human life, whether you are a Christian or not.
No arguments from me. It will be somewhat interesting to see if it is part of the ruckus.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2018, 05:15 PM   #18
Shane
Pope & Young

Quote:
No arguments from me. It will be somewhat interesting to see if it is part of the ruckus.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Yep. I'm sure it'll come up eventually. And it will definitely be quite the ruckus when it does.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:57 AM   #19
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

YouTube is chock full of videos showing what and how partial birth abortions are done. Some of this stuff is sickening and impossible to watch how a fetus is legally murdered using a pair of scissors to punch a hole in the base of the baby's skull and then suck out it's brain before pulling the rest of the tiny body out by it's leg. I know where I stand on this issue but who am I to judge?
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2018, 09:14 AM   #20
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Javi Cooper View Post
Personally I don't have a problem with abortion (if you want to kill your kid, go for it) just don't be asking me to fund it... No GOVERNMENT MONEY for abortion.. PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY
Quote:

Personal accountability. That means if/when they have kids they can't afford either they suffer or the kids (or both) suffer. And we, the working people, don't take the blame. It's 100% their fault their kids are suffering.

If society went back to what liberals would call "being cold hearted" or conservatives would call "tough love" a lot of people would eventually wake up and start changing their ways.

The more we're nice and help them the lazier and less accountable society gets. It's really not hard to figure out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerosa View Post
I prefer voting laws with ID for sure ! How can it be racist to not have a voter ID because you don’t have money ?

Roe vs Wade does need to be re-visited. Why ? Well, the decision back then was based in part to the knowledge known pertaining to human life.

Today, because of technology, we have more clarity on life. A fetus has a heart beat. Does a heartbeat constitute a living being ? Personally I do believe it does, but I’m not a sitting judge.

I think things like this should be tabled with new discovery thru modern science by way of technology.
Technology has taught us Saturn does not have 3 rings, and that there are more planets. We owe it to science discovery to better society and not be stuck in dogma.
At least don't let the law flip flop. If a pregnant woman is killed it's two murders. But abortion is not murder? Geez.

Last edited by RiverRat1; 07-09-2018 at 09:16 AM.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2018, 09:15 AM   #21
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Hopefully mandatory drug testing AND proof of citizenship for ALL welfare recipients and ANY other form of government assistance.. ..
Holy crap that would be nice.. Never happen though but I sure wish. I'll throw a party if it does.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:20 AM   #22
mikerosa
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
Personal accountability. That means if/when they have kids they can't afford either they suffer or the kids (or both) suffer. And we, the working people, don't take the blame. It's 100% their fault their kids are suffering.

If society went back to what liberals would call "being cold hearted" or conservatives would call "tough love" a lot of people would eventually wake up and start changing their ways.

The more we're nice and help them the lazier and less accountable society gets. It's really not hard to figure out.

At least don't let the law flip flop. If a pregnant woman is killed it's two murders. But abortion is not murder? Geez.

Not my thinking. To me a fetus is a child. Abortion is pre-meditated murder in my book.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:01 AM   #23
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerosa View Post
Not my thinking. To me a fetus is a child. Abortion is pre-meditated murder in my book.

I was agreeing with you. Saying right now the laws contradict.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:43 AM   #24
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Hunt In: BWD

2nd abortion should result in sterilization.
JFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top